1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Job Interview...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a job interview and I get so nervous.

How do you prepare, how to you not show your nervousness?

Any tips for the process?

2. Reverb

Reverb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the best jobs I ever got I did the following. Think up 20 different answers you want to convey in an interview. Don't think about the questions, just think about the answers. Write them out and basically memorize them through practice. Then, no matter what question you get during the interview, figure out a way to quickly steer your answer into one of the 20 you've prepared. These 20 should be positive stories about how you solved a problem, worked well with others, like to apply yourself to difficult situations, etc. Key--never wing an answer. Just quickly get into one of your 20 answers. You won't use them all so don't worry. You'll do great!

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will tell you one thing NOT to do.

Many years ago I was interviewing a guy for an engineering position. On the way to my office he asked where the Men's room was. I showed him where my office was first, then the Men's room. It took him only a minute or two, he was in my office reeking of booze! I was the Manager of a group at a Nuckear Plant! He was otherwise qualified. Didn't get the job for some odd reason...

Do two things.

1) research the company you are interviewing. Find out what they do, how they do it, how long they have been in business, etc. engage your interviewer with questions about the company. Don't let them control the interview with questions about you. All interviewers are looking for people with initiative and imagination, not trolls.

2) ask for the job before you leave. Don't ask "when will you make a decison?" Or "when will I hear from you?" Grow a set of balls whether you are male or female, if you don't have the confidence in your skills you won't have the guts to ask for the job so gather that confidence beforehand.

Other suggestions: You need some endorphins in your system to get pumped up before the interview. Do something that makes you happy. Obviously no drugs or booze! Hug a puppy!

If you are a smoker, don't! Smokers reek of stale smoke and this turns some people off. Hit the Nicorette if needed.

Be prepared for the stupid question: what's your biggest weakness. Tell them triple double bonus multi strike perfect strategy! That's mine!

PM me and let me know how it goes. I wish you the very best!

4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Piggy, I interviewed a lady at 9:00 a.m. who reeked of booze. Either she starts drinking early or had a late night bender. Her answers were very entertaining. She didn't get the position.

To OP, research the company and prepare a couple of intelligent questions to ask at the end of the interview. I agree about having a series of prepared answers that can be spun to answer a variety of questions.

Most people have a degree of nervousness during an interview. If you get hung up on a question, ask if you can come back to it. Good Luck!

5. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great! Thank you all. So much good information.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is OUTSTANDING advice... view each question they ask you as an opportunity to get YOUR message across. If you are well read on their company and follow the advice above... you'll be confident... and confidence ALWAYS helps settle the nerves.

7. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Thank you, I need to be confident.

8. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have the time.. do a practice run to see how long it takes you to get the place you are interviewing. That will help you with the nervousness. Show up Early.. and dress the best you possibly can. If you look good, you will feel more confident. Have a bottle of water in your car.. so you can have a quick drink before you go in, so your mouth isn't ultra dry. Believe in yourself, that comes across as confident, not cockiness. Good Luck!

9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree..I've done a TON of interviews in the past year...and I can SAFELY say, the ONE thing that annoys the interviews, is asking about the company. (I always did a TON of research about each place, to see what software they used, what protocols they had, etc). EVERY time in the interview that I would make conversation with them, relating my experience to the stuff they used; I could always tell they were angry by me knowing about them...then I spoke with one of the interviewers later (just happen-stance) and he said "You know, a lot of people don't like it when you ALREADY know about the company you're trying to work for."
    Seems stupid...

10. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After the cursory questions, my first real question is: "What do you know about us, and what can you contribute to our organization?" If the candidate hasn't done any research on us, that is a big negative.

11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dress for success - professionally -- I have seen people show up in sweats, ratty jeans, shorts, flip-flops and provocative clothing. Many organizations conduct "value" interviews now. I am pretty sure you can google some typical questions. Always look him/her in the eye and keep the cell phone off and out of sight. ( I know they are no brainers but it happens all the time)

12. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I have my clothes ready. Not a suit but professional.

13. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The institution I work for asks things like - When was the last time you complimented a co-worker and how? Have you ever "bent" the rules? How do you deal with conflict at work etc. --Be prepared for some questions that have nothing to do with skill, education and experience. The value questions have to deal with finding "team" players. You will be great and come back and tell us how it went.

14. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the advice here seems like it is coming from middle management.

Here is what most companies want/need: Someone who can critically think. It's really that simple. So show them that. You can solve problems and remove stress. That's it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  15. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Middle management are the ones conducting the interviews and making the hiring decisions.

The 20 answers is good up to a point. Once a good interviewer recognizes your gameplan they will try to get you to think critically. If you can't do that and keep going back to a rehearsed statement, you'll be in trouble. The overly polished candidates tend to turn me off. I tend to not want to hire people that interview really well. I don't really care to interview people much so don't make me work too hard to pull answers out of you. I have 30 minutes with you so I want to learn if you're qualified and if you'll be a good fit on the team. The candidate should be doing most of the talking. Things that really tip the scales for me are a follow up email with extra detail about what we discussed during the interview. And honesty. People know when you're guessing or BSing. Be honest. If you don't know the answer just say that.

16. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the appearance department, no gum chewing. A small tic tac just before to keep mouth moist.

A good firm handshake.

Good luck.

17. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can I work for you?

I would leave the cell in the car. Firm handshake is a must.

Just be human. The interviewer is also seeking if you are going to be a good fit for his team and the value you bring to the table.

18. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And don't forget to smile. Sounds crazy but sometimes folks are so tense, they forget.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shine your shoes the night before and look the interviewer in the eye when answering questions. If you look down, it's a sign you are lying if you look up in the air, you appear as if you're making it up. Try not to ramble with long answers. No liverwurst and onion sandwiches before the interview, have good breath, bring a travel size bottle of mouthwash if possible. Don't wear cologne. Iron your clothes, no such thing as a wrinkle free shirt. Good luck!

20. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Prepare yourself physically. Neat & clean hair & nails. Nothing crazy. No scents (good or bad).
    2. Prepare your clothing (sounds like you have this covered).
    3. Prepare to get there - know the route (driving (including where to park if applicable), public transport, etc. Arrive early. ALWAYS arrive early. Not too early. Wait in the car or do a lap around the block but arrive ~15 minutes early.
    4. Be polite to EVERYONE you see. The receptionist & admin asst will likely be asked for their opinion at some point.
    5. Be prepared. To me, this means - have your CV ready (copy edited for spelling and other issues - this is my own pet peeve, but I will point it out when I'm asked for input on hiring), know your own accomplishments, esp those relevant to the position, have some responses to standard questions ready (but I agree that "canned" responses sound canned - you can be prepared without it seeming like you're memorizing lines) You absolutely should know something about the company & the position for which you are applying. You should be prepared to ask questions about the company, about the job - but you need to know the basics that can be found with a quick Google.
    6. Thank the interviewer when you are done. Follow-up (personally, I do a quick email and an actual thank you note - yes, I'm old school that way). If you worked with HR and an interviewer, thank you notes to both.

Good luck!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.