1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Has anyone been on the Atomic Testing site tour?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by mrem3200, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friend wants to do this on our next trip. To me it sounds absolutely dreadful. So I am curious if anyone here has done it and how it was.

Thanks

2. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was less than excited, but decided to take my teens a couple years ago since I found a great Groupon deal. We all enjoyed it much more than expected, it was pretty cool. They have a piece of the World Trade Center there from 9/11 and that was really neat. Now, I certainly wouldn't race to go back, but it was fun and didn't take that long.
    diane

3. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been twice. Not sure if they have a tour but the times I have gone it was just self guided. It has a ton of information so you can choose to wander to the things you enjoy. They have a cool gift shop with all kinds of retro/period stuff.

4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had this all set up several years ago, maybe twelve.....as I recall it was the first Tuesday of the month and took eight hours. You needed to pack your own food and water, and getting out of the van was limited to only a couple times and you had to wear disposable booties any time you stepped out of the van on the contaminated test soil. I had to provide birth ceritificate and SSN to prove citizenship.

Unfortunately my father in law had a heart attack shortly before the date so we didn't get to go. I really wanted to go, I thought they halted the visits, but maybe I'll try again if they have restarted. I grew up in the duck and cover days of the early sixties watching those black and white films of the shock wave knocking over that house over and over again.

5. The Shamus

The Shamus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi mrem3200:

Really great ... definitely worth a visit! Here is a little video I did called SLOT AND ATOMS ...

[video=youtube;OU2E7JZEhEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2E7JZEhEs[/video]

/\/\/\/\ the Shamus /\/\/\/\

6. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they have started them again, it is a long tour and I can think of a lot of other ways I would rather spend time in Vegas. They do book months in advance, as of today the next one available isn't until July. Diane and Mark thanks for the responses but I think you are referring to the Atomic testing museum, which I have been to as well, but this is totally different.

7. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would do it if you have the chance. we tried a couple of years ago, but you have to book pretty far in advance for the actual site tour. if you can't get that, i'd definitely say at least do the museum portion of it. there are usually groupons for it.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the OP is referring to the museum on E Flamingo, not the desert site tour.
    I did it once and found it interesting, but wouldn't go again. It is self guided so you can spend as much, or as little time as you want. BTW, I couldn't drag my wife there, so I went alone.
    EDIT: oops reading and posting before first coffee.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to read OP's comment in Post #6.

10. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a bus that runs down Flamingo Rd from around Bally's you could catch if you don't have a car?

11. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if there is a bus but when I went there last year we walked from Bally's. It wasn't a bad walk except for the fact that it was in August.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.