1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Staying on 6, really?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by mrem3200, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't care how people play their hands playing BJ. I am of the mindset that their "bad" play is as likely to help as hurt. Don't want to split your 8's against an A?, no problem. Want to stand with your 16 against a 10 because of a hunch? Sure go for it. However, it has to be within reason. Last week I sat down at a BJ table and about 10 hands in a guy is dealt 3-3 (don't remember what the dealer had) and says he wants to stand. The dealer asked if he was sure and to make sure he knew that he had 6 and couldn't bust. He insisted he wanted to stay. I couldn't play with someone like that and I colored up right away and left. I don't remember him making any bad plays in the few hands I saw him play before that so I thought he had some idea what he was doing. One of the strangest plays I have seen. The dealer didn't bust so he lost. I don't remember if I won my hand or not, I just wanted to get out of dodge.

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    maybe he was channeling his inner austin powers

3. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You couldn't play with a guy like that? Heck, I'd never leave!

I love watching sick action on someone else's dime. Splitting 10s? Giddy up!

4. bta15

bta15 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty bad.

I was playing at maryland live last month and this dude that was stoned out of his mind surrendered 8-8 vs a dealer 6. It was amazing.

5. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe the count was wicked high and he wanted to get as many hands out of the shoe as possible.

6. LindaP

LindaP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought for sure you were going to say the guy had an Ace/Five - I've seen THAT a few times, but 3/3??? That one takes the cake!!!

- Linda in TX

7. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he was counting he outed himself. The dealer told the Pit that he stayed on 6.

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I thought too.

[​IMG]

9. amybabe

amybabe Tourist

My guess is that he knew what he was doing, and wanted to keep the two threes together as convenient-to-remember key-cards for shuffle-tracking, because the hand to its right contained (for example) a couple of Aces he wanted to watch for "next time around".

I mean, standing on 3-3 is such a bizarre thing to do that you'd have to have some reason like that? But "pairs" are certainly a good memory prompt for that kind of move. Especially if you're already remembering another key-card combination following the same shuffle.

I've occasionally deliberately not split 8's, under similar circumstances, if the count's low and it looks like it costs almost nothing to do.

Sometimes "strange" play does have an explanation of that kind. Even though other people like to ridicule it.

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    but to be that obvious in 2014?... this isn't MIT breaking Vegas

11. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who said this was ' breaking vegas'? Maybe it's just trying to get an advantage at Palace Station, vegas club, Jerrys nugget, eastside cannery etc.....

12. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the dealer was showing 5 or 6 and he suspected the next card to be greater than 6 then he didn't want to take the dealer bust card. If he stood and the dealer busted, he would have been and F'ing genius

13. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe he did not like you and thought such an outrageous move would make you leave? :poke:

14. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The kind of people that would leave are usually the ones I would want to leave. Nobody likes a grumpy gus.

15. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By observing someone for several hands, it's usually pretty easy to tell if an "unorthodox" play stems from stupid or clever. But it would be rare for even the best advantage player to go out of the way to attract undue attention.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I once split a pair of 5's at the El Co a couple years ago. The dealer was showing a bust card and I was hoping to double down on the split hands, but my real motivation was just to annoy a totally obnoxious player. I lost the hands, but actually won when the SOB muttered something in a language I didn't recognize and got up in a huff. Little did he know why I really made that play, but it had the desired effect, was great fun, and well worth the loss! :)

16. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate blackjack jerks, it is one of the reasons I do not play the game that often.

17. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aren't people who do things to piss off "black jack jerks", black jack jerks themselves?

18. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only if they make a habit of it! BTW: blackjack is one word. :)

19. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sensing a habit here........

20. saeldway

saeldway Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reminds me of one of my last times playing BJ, about 10 years ago at MGM. I was playing $50 (big amount for me at the time) at a $10 Min table with a full table. Dealer has an up-card of 6. I have an 18 and everybody but the lady to my right has a stay hand. She has an 11. Does she double? No. Does she hit? No. She stays, despite pleading from the rest of the table. Her reasoning, as flawed as can be "I don't want to take the dealer's bust card" Dealer flips over a 5, and wouldn't you know, the next card was a King. I've never seen an entire table of strangers get up that quickly. I either played at higher limits to play alone or don't play much anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.