1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This happened on the duece. I don't understand

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Timfromohio, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timfromohio

Timfromohio Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friday Nov 14. Wife and I are staying at Paris. We want to spend a day downtown. There's a bus stop right in front. Great :thumbsup: I read somewhere on this board that the deuce was $2, exact change. Fine, 4 bucks for us each way. A guy walking by gave us an unexpired pass. O K.:licklips: We climb aboard. wife slides pass, I insert two one dollar bills in the bill acceptor thingy and we take our seats. We get off by golden nugget, we are happy campers.

After a great day downtown, we go to the bus stop by the heart attack grill and expect to repeat the drill to get back to the strip. No dice. Bus driver won't accept cash. Says something about passes and brushes us off. After a short period of bewilderment, we buy 2 hour passes for $6.at those confusing machines.

Questions: So what is the price for the deuce? Do prices go up on weekends? Do they accept cash? How'd I get on for $2? Doesn't anyone in that city know how to print up a plain, easy to read price listing sign?

On previous trips, we've alternately rented cars and bussed it, but this left a bad taste. Comments welcome.

2. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The $2 rate is for locals, one way. Tourists are charged $6 or $8. SDX and the Deuce are the only routes where you will almost always be asked for a Nevada ID to get the local rate. Some of the express buses don't take cash. You need a pass. Those buses usually have an enclosed driver and have pay stations on board where you can buy a pass.

3. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use the bus on almost every trip. I always order a 3-day pass online for $20 and they MAIL it to us at home. We like the 3-day as we can hop up and down the strip for 3 days, even for short trips or to head downtown. Can get almost anywhere with the pass.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Enforcement must of stepped up as I have never had an issue with i.d. or not accepting cash. Sorry the OP had problems but glad he asked as this is good to know especially when you are a bit down the alcohol trail this could appear to be a hallucination or confusing at least.

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often see the rules get overlooked as the lines get longer. Many bus drivers simply want to keep things moving. Last week, I had two different drivers load everyone up without collecting money at all. You're much more likely to get checked closely if only a few people are getting on the bus.

Bill

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

After these posts --
    I'm half expecting Clark + Cousin Eddie to be driving the Duece.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a ticket machine at the heart Attack Grill stop. Was it not working?

8. Timfromohio

Timfromohio Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to take a big share of the blame. I should've done better pre=trip research. It's just demoralizing that too many destinations play the gouge-the-tourist game. I'm hoping uber and lyft will break the transportation cartels in vegas and other places.

9. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah??? Plus, what was the reason he did not take cash? Im sure there was one, was his machine not working? Im sure there might be more to it.

"It is what it is". try to be a little helpful to the other passengers since there is a ticket machine right there, paying the driver is just holding up everyone behind you and causing delays. Loading up the deuce can take 10+ mins at peak times and alot of the delays are caused by buying tickets or confusion.

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, but it's $2 for me to ride The Deuce with my Seasonal I.D. and I can't buy a pass for that at the kiosks. So, I use new crisp $1 bills and, after many rides, can get them into the bus machine pretty darned fast.

Bill

11. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'm sure some UBER driver is going to come pick you up downtown and take you to the strip for $2.

12. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about the bus that goes West on Flamingo from Eastside Cannery (#207 or somesuch) ? It's been a couple years since I rode that but as I recall, I paid $2 in the box by the driver and I rode from Eastside Cannery over to the Strip. Shouldn't have been $2?

13. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That bus route is #202. Since it is residential, the fare is $2.

14. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever we get tix for the deuce or SDX to go DT, we get the 24 hour pass. That way we have to hassle with the machines just once and we can usually use the same pass the next day heading in the opposite direction if we feel. Here's the website for the ticket prices.

http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit/fare-information/

15. Gregg19

Gregg19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must depend on the driver. I paid 2 dollars for a one way ride from downtown to flamingo last week. On the same trip, the driver of the WAX bus stopped at the Bonneville Transit Center and said that was as far as he was driving, left a bunch of us scrambling to get the rest of the way to freemont

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.