1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Apparel Commercial

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This ad makes me sick to my stomach. All of these people switching teams will-nilly?

A true fan would never switch teams, no matter what. I have lived in the Washington-Baltimore far suburbs for 22 years and I would never, under any circumstances trade in my Philly teams for any reason.

It is just unimaginable. I especially hate that little punk that switched to the Steelers.

He needs his ass kicked.

In fact that entire family except the original Vikings people need their asses kicked.

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Bengal babies just popped of her womb.

I fully agree with you and there are various versions of the commercial and they all stink. Maybe it's a Philly thing but if my kids changed teams there is no way in hell I'd be buying them apparel with their new team.

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If as shown, their Christmas shopping is exclusively the NFL website, they ARE getting their a$$es kicked even if shipping IS free....!!

I'm with you.....it comes on the television and I cringe....

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a game. A sport. An entertainment. If folks form an affinity with where they are versus where they were, that's no more or less logical than the other scenario.

Now just don't root for Notre Dame. That is an offense. lol

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You going to stop rooting for the Ducks now? True fans don't change colors.

6. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know its all about the money why the NFL and other major sports market the jerseys. Its trendy to wear your $100 "Offically licenced NFL Game Shirt" to the game or on gameday . :vomit: Like one poster said, True fans don't change their colors. and I dont have to buy a gameshirt to prove my loyalty. Funny I had this same disussion during that commercial during the game this last Sunday. We agree the should only offer the shirts for HOF players with their numbers retired by the team

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I wrote, people can go however they want to go. If someone grew up with Philly and kept Philly pride though the last 60 years were spent in San Diego, so be it. If someone decides they like the new joint and the new teams, so be it. It's not your way/highway, it's individual. Who are true Cleveland Browns fans? Those who followed their players and history and structure to Baltimore or who those followed a logo with no other connection to the past, to history? St. Louis Rams or Arizona Cardinals for someone from the heartland? Team or players or player or city? Maybe you're drawn by a certain team ethic, like the Raiders once had but long ago punted. As those really your Raiders now?

I think many fans take their fandom way too seriously, actually. It's supposed to be fun, not life-consuming. I see families piling out of a junker POS car, taking the coupons in to Walmart, yet each is decked out in this year's sanctioned NFL gear, and I just see a distant, detached game taking control, sadly.

I actually think college affiliations make more sense, anyway. Not a lot of us here wore a NY Giants uniform, but we certainly lived the life of the alma mater.

But at the end of it all, a fan is a fanatic. Fanaticism need only make sense to the individual possessing it, and even at that it need not make sense.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm almost a life-long Raider fan... can I please change now???

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the record, the expansion Cleveland Browns franchise was awarded all of the history and records of the franchise. The Ravens have only the records they have earned in Baltimore.

Ken, your point of view is from someone who has no loyalty to a particular team. Those of us who do are family to one another.

I can't count the times, for example, while in Las Vegas, I have been greeted with open arms and vice versa by Philly Phans.

We are one.

We are legion.

It is a bond that can never be broken.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have huge loyalty to professional teams. Though for some reason I always stayed with the Angels even as I embraced the Seahawks. But, indeed, I don't cut and then bleed Eagles or Habs like so many do -- and that does alter my perspective, admittedly. I just don't "find" myself or a part of myself or define myself by a team affiliation or a historic geographic/family connection to said team. I don't have that/get that.

My point on the Browns/Ravens is that it took an act of NFL gerrymandering for the "Browns" to be the "Browns." The team that created all that history went to Baltimore. Period. The colors stayed "home." (And yes, obviously, it is the city, the location that binds most all fans, not the messy fact that their team -- their players, the team structure -- went elsewhere.)

We golfers feel the same way when greeting each other.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. jjc312

jjc312 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze I agree, not with Philly but be greeted by the same fans. Whenever I'm wearing a Steelers hat or shirt, you'll get that hi-five or even just a little nod of the head...

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or dirty looks from the rest of us.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This reminds me of a few years back, the day after we lost the natty to Auburn. I was at the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson. I was Oregon liveried of course. I was approached by a good half-dozen obviously Auburn fans who stopped to chat, shake my hand, say how it coulda gone either way and how much they appreciated the opportunity and how they had a new appreciation for west coast football. It was cool.

I was also treated to the spectacle of seeing a game at Death Valley in the mid-late oughts. Aside from being something I'd never really seen, not even at the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum when it's full, I was taken with the cordiality and devotion of the LSU fans. I didn't even have a team in the game, I was just down there on business and the chance came up to experience an SEC game. Wow.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah yes...rooting for the clothes!

[YOUTUBE]we-L7w1K5Zo[/YOUTUBE]

15. LuckyDog77

LuckyDog77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hahaha... I couldn't agree more. Leave it to Vikings fans.... I'll be at their college stadium this weekend to watch the Packers.

16. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you remember relics game it was? I was probably right there in the stadium with you. SEC football is indeed a totally different animal.

17. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was the only thing the NFL could do to try to get the Browns fanbase to stop overwhelming their phone and fax lines. That gutless old man was a horrible business man who should have been forced to sell the team rather than move it. He moved so he wouldn't have to sell and would be able to keep it in the family. After 4 years and the sweetheart deal that the city of Baltimore gave him, he still couldn't successfully run the money printing business that an NFL franchise is and had to sell anyway. He sold his soul first and then the team.

That being said, after 15 years of this garbage, I sometimes wish that the NFL didn't cave and the expansion franchise was not the Browns but something with a completely different identity. Only 6 more weeks to find out if the 2014 version is any different than the last 15 years. God I hope so.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  18. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize I didn't address the OP. I dislike the commercial too and had the exact same response.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, you don't get it about Browns fans. Not sure you'd ever be able to commit like that. The previous poster said it all, so I'm just ranting here.

All former Browns who moved to Baltimore are still Browns in our eyes, including Ozzie. Art Modell, like any owner who moves a successful franchise, is a Brown only in the sense that he smells like a turd. He gets nothing that was ours. We hated him as soon as he started whining about being unable to make money WITH AN NFL FRANCHISE THAT HAD 50,000 SEASON TICKET HOLDERS and sold out most of the time in spite of being a mediocre team. "Jump, Art, jump!" echoed from 10,000 voices up to his loge and from probably a half million living rooms at every home game even before he made the final decision.

We're all nuts and we can't help it. I would piss on Art Modell's grave but would not film it.

There are only a few reasons to be a fan of a pro football team: You live in the area, or used to, you have family connections (It was Uncle Ernie's team, etc.) , or the team fascinated you for whatever reason when you were a child. Did I forget any? You get one team per lifetime, as long as that team exists AND plays in the same city.

20. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how do the real fans recognize each other?

Just a question

How do you know that person wearing your teams jersey is a true fan and not just some guy who's got the apparel? As an NFL Fan from Canada I've had a Steelers Bathrobe in the seventies I loved to death, wore a Saints cap in the late 80's, a Vikings Cap in the early 90's, Had T-shirts or sweatshirts from the Bronco's, Green Bay, Buffalo, Dallas and Miami at various times. I've cheered for just about every team at one time or another except the Seahawks (years of missing out on the good late afternoon games due to cable from Spokane has forever made me hate them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.