1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Back bacon...

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by wigwam_salesman, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know where to either a) buy back bacon (British style bacon) in LV or b) who will mail order it without a ridiculous shipping charge?

These guys want $66 to ship to NV!! http://www.britishbacon.com/9-back-bacon-rashers

My girlfriend is very depressed that she can't find it there now she has had it here.

2. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like a good time to get used to eating american style bacon.

Its quite tasty you know.

4. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't mistake me, I love American style bacon. But my GF is American and is missing English bacon.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The next step is logical. tell her no.

6. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not allowed to make decisions like that on my own.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In most of the USA they refer to "Back Bacon" as "Canadian Bacon" or "Canadian Style Bacon"

On this forum when people ask for getting groceries delivered to your hotel room most people mention Vons... just checking the Vons website and they sell Back Bacon (As "Bacon, Canadian") for $5 a pack, or about $13 a pound. She can either go buy it in the store or can have it delivered (first delivery is free, otherwise its $12.95 fee for orders under $150 and $9.95 for orders over $150).

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a British grocery store but it looks like it closed. I don't have any idea how you would get it retail but there are some popular English pubs so that all seem to have it. That would probably be the quickest fix.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not the same, what is called "Canadian Bacon" in the USA is closer to ham. I was up in Toronto a few weeks ago and had the real thing. I may have to bring some back on my next trip along with Plymouth Gin and Cuban cigars.

10. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fresh and Easy (formerly owned by Tesco) has a few locations in Las Vegas. One of the Yelp reviewers said they had back bacon.

Never shopped there, but I followed how they were doing in the Los Angeles area - they lost hundreds of millions.

11. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, as already pointed out, USA "Canadian bacon" is different. It comes pre-cooked and has not rind attached. Thanks for the response though.

12. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not likely that you'll find that on the shelves anywhere. The good news is that the only ingredients are a pig and a knife so obtaining it should be doable. While I have no direct experience in Las Vegas, any full service butcher should be able to do that cut. It's basically just a section of the loin cut around to include the belly fat where American bacon comes from.

Try a place like http://www.thebutcherblocklv.com/ and call during the mid day when it's not busy. I'd imagine if you were willing to buy a whole loin cut like that they'd probably be willing to hook you up.

I order custom through my butcher all the time (I buy all my meat by the cow/pig and have it butchered). There's lots of cuts available through any good butcher that aren't on the ordinary price list.

Good luck.

13. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The correct term for this product, at least the better one found in Canada, is either:

"Sweet Pickled Pork Loin / Cured Pork Back, Cornmealed."

It is NOT Peameal, an expensive product that was likely phased out 80 years ago. Nor is it Bacon, which comes from the Pork Belly. The American product (known as Back/Canadian Bacon ) is a sub standard off shoot of this and has nothing to do with 'Bacon' either.)

Insider expert..

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man... can I ever relate!

15. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peameal is still available lots of places in Cda unless they are mis-labeling

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had peameal bacon for breakfast at the Olympic Diner on Derry and Hurontario in Mississagua three weeks ago, my colleague from Calgary and three natives of Toronto said it was the real deal. To this American, it had the appearance of ham and the edge looked like it was yellow from cornmeal, less salty and less moisture. One colleague had a peameal BLT, I should have gotten one to go for the ride back to PA. Off topic, I did make it to Dillion's, the micro-distillery in Beamsville and picked up a bottle of their award winning Gin and pear alcohol.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just need a butcher and some peameal.

18. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You had the real thing. Restaurants are now less policed with respect to terminology, so they get away with this. A Canadian Food Chain will have the correct name. Again, Peameal hasn't been in existence in this product since before I was born... early 50s! Too expensive. Bottom line is whatever it's called, it's a great, quick meal! But not found in the USA, to my knowledge.

19. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think some places in the US call back bacon Canadian bacon. Most people in Canada call it peameal bacon. It's not my favourite kind of bacon so I don't go out of my way for it. But, I've seen it around.

20. shirlen

shirlen Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this the same product called "fat back" in the south? Just curious...My grandmother from (North Carolina) used to cook it and use the grease/meat as seasoning for beans or veggies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.