1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas residents: Do you have kids in High School?

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by trig, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trig

trig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wifey and I are considering moving to Vegas from SC. We'll rent for a year before buying. We have a sophomore in HS, so I'd like your thoughts on the the HS your kid(s) are attending to give us an idea of the area(s) we should be looking at for rentals. 3/2 1800hsf with garage are minimums. $1000-1400/month.

If you need more info from me, please ask. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am actually a HS teacher in Las Vegas. Generally speaking, you want to be in Henderson, the Southwest, Summerlin or Centennial Heights.

There are some exceptions, however, when it comes to cheaper areas of town (which tend to be poorer and bring along all the problems associated with poorer areas) and good schools. Las Vegas High School does well despite being on the Eastside. In a sense, the good schools are found within an "L" that goes from the Northwestern peak of the city down to the Southwestern corner and then East to Henderson.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I can say as a former resident is think long and hard before you pull the trigger on a move. This report is from April 2014:

Although the average graduation rate nationally hit a record high of 80 percent in 2012, Nevada had the lowest rate in the country at 63 percent, according to a report released today.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/apr/28/nevadas-high-school-graduation-rate-worst-nation/

We lived near a high school and I was amazed to see classes letting out around 1 PM everyday.

4. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, Joe is right. Our public schools have real challenges. I'd say being West of Rainbow Blvd. and South of the 215 is a decent guide. If your student excels, then I'd try to get them into a magnet program or one of the Career & Technical Academies.

5. trig

trig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank you very much! Our son excels when he applies himself. Can you give us any names of high schools/magnet schools I should lean towards? And. like everywhere, there are some good teachers in bad schools and some bad teachers in good schools. It's mostly about how the student applies themselves. (imo)

6. trig

trig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so, like the Rhodes Ranch golf club area? is that the general location your referring to?

7. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The old nature vs. nurture debate. If you provide your kids with a good family life and instill solid values, they will likely be able to overcome the many vices that kids in school system X encounter. Unfortunately, Vegas is home to many single parent homes (while many single parents do a fine job, the lack of guidance in a city like Vegas undoubtedly leads to problems), and every vice on the planet. The key here is motivation and support..... Without the guidance of my parents, I would have fallen in with the wrong crowd as well..... The temptation was there.

I dont see Vegas school systems being any worse off than schools in say, Birmingham or Cleveland, also cities with financial issues, high unemployment and a multitude of social issues. Awesome advice on the "L", VegasSchemer.

Nick:beer:

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to hug you...

9. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As just a general rundown, Coronado, Palo Verde, Desert Oasis, Silverado, Green Valley, Centennial, and Liberty all are usually spoken about in favorable terms. You have to apply to the Career and Technical Academies but they are throughout the city. I don't remember where all the magnet schools are, but you should know that they are set up as schools within schools. Essentially, they are special programs within larger high schools so if the larger high school (like Canyon Springs) has a bad reputation, the magnet school is still solid.

10. trig

trig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much!!

11. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If at all possible consider waiting a year until your son graduates HS. Very difficult to make new friends in a new city and you don't want him making the wrong ones. Ok none of my business. Good luck with the move.

TomTWI

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We moved from Southern California to the suburbs of Portland between my sister's junior and senior years. I always felt that was a shitty thing to do to her. I was going between primary and secondary so other than leaving old friends behind, I at least started my Oregon educational experiences on some level of parity with the rest of the kids. My parents moved me late my sophomore year. Not across states but far enough that I had to change schools. I went for a few weeks and then staged my own sit-in protest and then with the help of a conspiring counselor at my old high school who let me use his in-district address became a commuter student until being farmed out most of my junior and senior years with friends.

There is the old adage about what doesn't kill us making us ... True enough. But there also are some things that shouldn't be seen as one of those tests of character if there is an option.

Sorry, just my $0.02.

I do say bully on the OP thinking about school quality. The home environment is of course all important, but it's folly to think dumping a kid into a shitty educational environment versus a quality one is an no-diff proposition.

13. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1
    Unless there is an absolute necessity involved, please wait until your child graduates. As an individual who was uprooted several times by parents moving, I still feel it negatively affected me and I'm in my late 60's now. Of course, each person adapts differently, but a cross country move will bring serious cultural changes as well as social strains. My advice - WAIT.

Roy in IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.