1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What if there is an EMERGENCY.....

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While you are on the High Roller? Serious kinds like fainting, heart attacks, anxiety attacks, even doo-doo attacks?

Is there like a emergency phone and would the wheel be able to speed up fast enough to get the victim on the ground?

For those who rode it did you notice any signs explaining emergency procedures and can you share what it is?

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting question... and I would like to know the answer to this. I would hope the answer is yes for the phone and the speed up function. But this is CET we are talking about...

3. QueenAngie

QueenAngie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a phone in each pod. I am not certain of the emergency procedures that are in place. I do not know if they can speed up movement. Unless a person is having a heart attack, a severe anaphalactic allergic reaction, frank bleeding, or fully dilated having a baby.....Those would be 911 calls.

4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read a story recently that got me wondering about that too.

So I searched and found this really interesting article in the May 2014 LV Review Journal. Be sure to read the whole article because it's fascinating from a rescue point of view if you are interested in that sort of thing and the article explains a lot.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/tourism/high-roller-emergency-will-require-high-intensity-response

Among the things they explain: window shades, food, water and portable toilets.

5. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it seems if some-one has a heart attack, ( and let's hope and pray this never happens) he/she doesn't have a chance of surviving.

Also, from a safety/security standpoint, can families, groups of women, single women or anyone for that matter; if they feel uncomfortable with entering with a strange group/individual, can they request a pod of their own?

6. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 weeks before the high roller opened I was staying at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club condo's behind the Flamingo which is directly next to the high roller. On one of the days I was staying there, for the majority of 1 day, there was about 10 firetrucks, and ambulances, and dozens of fireman and paramedics there. From one of the pods, about 1/2 way up they were taking turns "rappelling" up, and down from the pod, and also saw them raising and lowering a stretcher like board. It appeared either in or on the outside of the pod was a place they could easily connect the ropes they were using, and they had a pulley and/or winch they would use to assist them. At the time the pod was about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top, and trust me, when you are close it is damn high. I was very impressed with what I saw. About 1 or so weeks later I did see a brief article in the lvrj that one of the conditions of them getting approval to open was approval of and emergency plan/procedures and that the inspectors were happy that emergency safety procedures were in place.

7. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Electro - the answer as to whether anyone can get a pod by themselves is NO.

Last August I thought I had scored one for my very first ride. Mid day, mid summer isn't that busy. They made me wait for another person at least but a couple came up and the three of us rode the pod. They do this for the very same safety reasons you are inquiring about, if my heart went into vapor lock, who would make the 911 call?

I retired 12 years ago from a local Fire Department, serving 25 years. Part of my professional responsibilities these days is to teach safety. I was very impressed with the operation and very impressed to know CCFD's high angle rescue team is trained and ready for the eventual emergency.

Turned out the couple was from Scotland on a second honeymoon, they were a hoot! I really enjoyed the ride, will take it again sometime.

8. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if there wasnt Im sure by the time help was called to the time help arrived and the person was on the ground would be hand and hand or very close. What is the time from dispatch to help arriving on the strip?

9. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Emergency response

In a Level 1 response, for something like the power grid going out, the backup power would keep the wheel speed steady to allow a full cycling out of passengers.

A Level 2 response calls for doubling the wheel speed and using both the entrance and exit sides of the platform for exiting. The most likely Level 2 scenario is a medical emergency that calls for the quick evacuation of just one cabin. In that case, all passengers would be notified that there is an emergency. The speed of the wheel would be doubled and only those in the affected cabin would be evacuated. The wheel would return to regular speed, and normal operations would resume.

If a passenger has an issue soon after boarding, the wheel’s direction can be reversed to return them to the platform faster. The longest it would take to return a cabin to the boarding platform is seven and a half minutes, when the affected cabin is at the 12 o’clock position atop the wheel and moving at double speed.

Level 3 emergency response would stop the wheel, with passengers in place, to accommodate a needed repair.

Level 4 applies to a power loss involving both the primary and secondary drive systems, requiring the manual mode recovery drive. A full cycling out in this case would take between two and two-and-and-a-half hours.

Level 5 indicates a catastrophic failure and the wheel will not rotate. That’s when the technical rescue team would be called in to get all the passengers safely back on the ground.

10. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Level 6 the MUTO awakens and topples the wheel on its way to fight Godzilla. Emergency response not effective in this scenario.

11. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How true about individuals riding by themselves. I never thought of that. Thank you. Being in the construction industry, I'm very conscientious about safety.

13. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol!! Is MUTO clumsy or something? Or did CET build the damn thing right on top of him?

14. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome! Thanks. So the speed of the wheel can be accelerated. That's great!

15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's hope Level 2 and Level 5 doesn't occur at the same time. LOL.

Actually i guess it's not so funny. Level 5 might induce a Level 2-type health emergency, i.e. heart attack, for those who may go into a panic attack.

17. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to see the latest Godzilla movie but the Massive Unidentified Terrestial Object (MUTO) makes its way to the West Coast from a Nevada nuclear waste dump and unfortunately Las Vegas is in the way!

18. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any different than being on a plane? I think you have a better chance at getting quicker care after an issue on the high roller than you would on an airline. I can't imagine anyone that thinks the high roller emergencies would be an issue of concern ever getting on a plane.

The high roller has been running for probably over 6 months now. Anyone have a story where it has been stuck once? And if/when it is stuck, what are the chances that somehow has a health issue in that time? Having those 2 events together are like the odds of getting struck by lightning twice. If I had a list of worries, this would be on the last page of hundreds.

19. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't worry... The Fantastic Four have you covered! They've already "trained" on the London Eye!

20. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the safety procedures of a plane. Just wanted to know the procedures of the High Roller. Too lazy to look it up. Figured we could talk about it here. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.