1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Will Southwest let me book two return flights one day apart?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Tree DA, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought they had some kind of rule against this but it looks like it will let me do it. I'm not sure if I want to return on Monday or Tuesday but would like to book now before the fares go up. I am using points so it's a simple matter of canceling a flight and getting my points refunded once I decide. My decision will be based on whether a certain team makes it to a certain game so I really won't know for sure until a week before.

2. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW pricing doesn't change based on one way flights or RT trip flights, so this shouldn't be an issue.
    example - if I wanted to book two one way flights to Austin from Dallas on back to back days I could legally do so.
    so.. what team and what game???!!!

3. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, it seemed to me that I tried to book something similar once and it wouldn't let me. But I can't remember the details. Certainly they must know that I won't be making the same three hour flight two days in a row without a flight in the middle returning me to the original city. Obviously I could fly another airline but I would still think it would be a flag in their system.

National Title Game.

I doubt my team will make it but if they do I want to be there.

Now that I think about it, if they don't make the four team playoff I'll know for sure that i don't have to worry about it. So maybe I'll wait till Dec 7 and at that point if they're in the playoffs they'll have a 50/50 chance of making the next game so I'll book the second flight then assuming rates will still be reasonable that far in advance.

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not just stay until Tuesday regardless? Use the final day for just having fun around Vegas if they don't make the playoffs.

5. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have made 2-3 SWA return flight reservations from Vegas many times, not an issue. It's a great bankroll management tool!

6. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

Not a problem at all. Most trips I book multiple return flights or no return flight at all and just book when ready. Just be sure to cancel the unused flight prior to departure time or you will forfeit the points.

7. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the opposite of what I'm considering. If my team is out, I'm staying in Vegas for sure. I may have an even better option if my team is in, however.

Thanks for the info everyone, I just booked the second flight so I'm set either way now.

8. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the main advantage of Southwest over other airlines, especially if you have enough points to book the flights. There is no penalty and I have done this some many times. The only thing hard to keep track of is the voucher numbers they send you when you cancel and they refund the taxes (if you booked with points). I have booked as many as 3 flights in the same day because of different commitments I may/may not have that day and when I can leave. But I usually figure out when I can leave at least a week prior to departure.

The only thing I am unsure of is the time before the flight occurs you have to cancel by, 24 hours? 12 hours? 20 minutes?

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to the website, it's 10 mins before departure time. I once changed a reservation to a flight later the same day about 20 mins before departure.

10. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for that info! May come in handy one day!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.