1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Blood donations needed

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :soapbox: OK stepping on my soapbox for one post. I just want to remind the good folks at VMB to donate blood. It's almost painless, takes about an hour, including cookies & juice afterward. :poke:

I do platelets, but whole blood only takes 1 hour. You can spare that even in your busy lives.

2. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to give blood before they didn't want my blood anymore. I also volunteered at the clinic. Making reminder calls and whatever else needed doing. I can attest to the importance. I can also say everybody in there is friendly and nice. Lots of distractions. And there's cookies.

3. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just donated about 2 weeks ago.

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, if you're anxious about it. You can go for the first time at a social event type blood drive. They make it fun and easy. Or you can tell them you're kind of anxious and they'll take extra care of you quietly at the clinic.

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont like that good people donate it and then they sell it.

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After I had a few medical issues come up last year I thought I should "give back" and donate blood a couple of times.

I remember when I was younger they used to do blood drives at the mall: in the 70s and 80s they actually had the little beds set up in the mall and you could go up and just donate blood... later in the 90s they had vans that would go around and you would go in the van and they'd tap you for blood in there.

So I thought it would be easy, like find out where the van was going to be, go line up and wait my turn and donate some blood... but now its a major pain in the butt: you have to apply online, wait for them to call you back to set up an appointment to call you for an interview and then after that they finally give you a time and place for where you can go donate, and in my case all the places to donate are pretty far away and inconvenient to get to.

7. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been considerably overweight since I was a kid, not a round ball but definitely fat. As a result, my veins have always been so hard to get to, and going though the process has been miserable. Over thew summer I have really focused on getting healthy, I'm down over 30 lbs, and have built quite a bit of muscle; I am going to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and feeling good. Anyways during my workout last month I noticed my veins popping out, and got excited for my next opportunity to give blood. Long story short, I'll be donating next week.

8. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i am a retired donor. i did my share for several years. for a variety of reasons i won't give blood any more, but one day i might be on the receiving end rather than the giving end, so thank you all who are giving in 2014.

9. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to give blood regularly until a few years back. Maybe it's time to get back to it.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh? I donate to the local blood center and they provide the local hospitals with the blood.

11. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is type A in demand or not really?

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, I think there is always a demand for blood, no matter the type. They can also spin out and separate it into red blood blood cells which are always needed for surgeries.

Just please donate! :poke: You'll feel good and someone will feel better!

I'm on the marrow match list and one time I have been called for more matching tests. I didn't match but I must admit the procedure details, if I did, look a bit painful, but I would do it. Compared to that, donating whole blood is nothing.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think A type is a big enough group that there's always a need.

14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The blood center might but the hospital will not, I've heard it's an industry. Now i understand that there are expenses involved and even "free" blood must come at a cost, but for some hospitals to charge hundreds for a unit is outrageous.

15. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Used to give all the time, but liver-related issues rendered my blood unacceptable. It's been 20 years and still no go.

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am the same way. I want to give but they won't accept it. It makes me sad, they said no but Dracula assured me he'll accommodate me anytime.....:wink2:

17. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all of you. My wife has cancer and the chemo has her blood all out of wack. It is blood and platelets several times a month and we are always so grateful it is available. Many times you may not know just how important this donation is and I just what you to know that for many people it is literally a lifesaving gesture on your part. Thanks again.

18. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although I had given blood for years before, the importance of blood donation became clearer to me in 2007. I was diagnosed with cancer and had two major surgeries within a week. A round of radiation, two rounds of chemotherapy and two more surgeries within a year followed. All is well now and I have been cancer free since.

Thinking I was permanently banned from giving blood again, I never called to see if I would be eligible to donate. Until reading this thread. Good job Joe!

Yesterday I called my local blood bank and with my doctor’s approval, I’ll be able to donate again.

Best wishes to you and your wife jack1057 during this challenging time!!!

19. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We actually have the bloodmobile come to where I work - very convenient.

I admit that when talking about giving blood, the first thing I think of - is Nutter Butters. Good reminder to everyone Joe!

20. wato63

wato63 Newbie

I donate in the Uk 63 donations up to now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.