1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Oxtail Soup at the D

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by VegasLover8, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I can't answer about the D's version of ox-tail soup. I didn't know they offered it. But thanks for the info, I'll try it next time I'm in town.

I love ox-tail soup and will try all the ones out there offered. Lately the ones at the Cal became hit or miss and I wonder if it's because of the huge demand and the pressure to meet that demand.

For what it's worth, if you're ever at the Orleans during graveyard hrs. the 24 hr. café offers ox-tail soup. Last time I tried it I thought it was better than the ones at the Cal.

Ox-tails are open to a lot of culinary expression, each dish offered at establishments differ in tastes and ingredients. That's why I like to try all the places that offer them.

Thanks for the info about the D. Hope someone can let us know how the dish is.

3. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please educate us who are uninformed on what it is..have had the Caribbean oxtail. .. is it the Caribbean soup version of osso bucco???

4. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Off We Go

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't believe the hugh demand for oxtail soup. Everytime I think where it comes from I have to pass on it as it is the last place a cow does her thing while making a cow patty. Grossssssssssssssssssssssssssss

5. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh???

6. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, but I do like to eat it, Lol!

Like mentioned earlier, ox-tail soup has many versions. Basically it's a beef dish with beef broth and garnishes of vegetables, depending on how the cook makes it. The ox-tails are simmered for hours to get the fall off the bone consistency.

The Asian version is made with Asian vegetables like makina cabbage (Napa) or kai choy cabbage (mustard). They also add Chinese dai kon ( radish) which adds a unique flavor to the soup. What's also unique and adds a different dimension to the soup is that they add blanched peanuts to the broth. It adds a soft, crunchy texture that makes the dish stand out. There's also a Japanese version made with a miso base.

I recommend going on the internet search engines and you will find so many versions of this dish. It's becoming quite popular. I remember a while back when someone saw me eating it and asked what it is, they would make a face and go ewwww! People still freak out but not as much nowadays.

7. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for the oxtail soup at the Orleans...I believe you can order it 24/7, not just graveyard hrs. at the Courtyard Café...

8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Asian people eat everything on an animal that is edible. It comes from being poor. My Grandma used to cook everything on the cow, and we never asked what it was, we just ate it.

9. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Larry, ever eat yogurt or cheese or drink beer?
    Guess what, those foods all require living microbes, either bacteria or yeast, to break down the starch and proteins in the starting material... Just like poop!
    The only difference is that poop has strains of bacteria that can be harmful to humans if re-ingested, but the concept is the same.
    Bonus gross out: look up how honey is made.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my youth we weren't well off. One of the staples in the house was pig tails. Both boiled and also in soup. I can't say I would want them now, or oxtails, but you ate was was put in front of you. AND YOU LIKED IT! :wink2:

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy goes into a deli and asks what is good.
    Deli guy: "We're having a special on tongue sandwiches."
    Guy: "Gross! I don't want to eat anything that comes out of a cow's mouth! I'll just have an egg salad sandwich."

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up eating my mom's oxtail soup and now the bride and I both make it. But them damn tails are very expensive IMHO......Last week they were $5.69 per pound and are mostly bones. But you can't beat that tender meat. We were taught to eat the soup first and later dine on the oxtails by dipping them in horseradish mustard. To DIE FOR ! ! !

13. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mentioned this in another post, but will again here: while i'm certainly no expert on the subject, I found the oxtail soup at Blue Ribbon at Cosmo wonderful and would highly recommend it!

14. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom had a great recipe for making corned beef out of tongue yum!!

15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before it caught on and became popular, ox-tails were relatively in-expensive. Now, like you mentioned, you'd think you're buying premium sirloin or rib-eye, lol!

A long time ago, a popular diner where I live sold ox-tail soup for $3.50. It came with 2 scoops of rice and macaroni salad. I used to order take out and order 2 just for me! Now, ox-tail soup where I live averages $13.99 to $15.99.

The prices in Vegas are pretty reasonable for what you get.

Oh, and I eat it just like you, except I like to dip mine in grated ginger and soy sauce....

16. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom used to make a ox-tail stew italian style. When I lived in Ks. I used to buy my beef by a hind quarter and store it in a locker, they were surprised when I asked for the tail and shanks. A lot of the Deli's in NYC have tongue sandwiches.

17. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Getting back to original question - While browsing my LVA newsletter, I noticed Anonthy Curtis specifically mentioning the oxtail soup at the Cal coffee shop. Mr. Curtis spoke highly of it. Said it was excellent value for $8.29 (including side of rice) and was enough for 2-3 servings.

18. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How very true. In my youth my family was poor, yet I never sensed it. There was plenty of food on the table but maybe not the types that they show on "Father knows Best".

My mom made do with what she had for the household budget. And she always said "Eat what's there". She always made sure there was enough to eat but as a kid I naturally didn't like all the things she made. It was tough love. Eat what's there. Or go to bed hungry.

Pig feet. Chicken tails/Turkey tails. Pig Head. Okara (residuals from making tofu) Tuna blood meat. Tuna head (The butcher would give it away free) Tuna Bones (The bones with little meat on it after the butcher takes the filet off). Boiled squid.

All of these things were practically pennies per pound but my mom made tasty, rustic dishes from them.

Today, believe it or not, top notch chefs are discovering that these items offer huge potential in flavors, textures, and originality. The biggest hang-up (naturally) is that the images of these items mess you up when the concept of eating them comes to mind. But if you cut out the delectable parts, cook and season them right, add the right garnishes and sauces, etc. you end up eating something delicious, unique, and exciting with no visual reference to the original product.

Oh, and guess what. The items that were practically given away back then is gonna cost you a pretty penny today (Especially that head of yellow-fin or blue-fin tuna....):thumbsup:

19. OK Pabst

OK Pabst Grinder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never thought of us being poor. Probably were, my folks bought 1 case a beer a year for Christmas. Has good times though. That's worth something to me. Coming from a farm in northern Wisconsin - calf brains, livers, gizzards and such were the norm.

20. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm try Ox tail soup at The Calfi think I might try it at The D sometime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.