1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

spirit?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by golfer1903, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfer1903

golfer1903 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lokking for vegas trip in summer2015. always went southwest, but now this spirit is at clev airport along with frontier air. never been on either whats the good and bad,

I know they nickel and dime you for everything but even paying for luggage and seats its still hundreds cheaper then southwest from clev. Is it really that bad or should we go for it.

thanks

2. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have tried spirit and frontier and i will say the southwest is still better. Yes they nickel and dime you, but charging people 20 for a carry on, 50-100 for a checked bag is insane. U paid for more leg room on frontier ans when i checked in they had moved to another seat because they had a plane break down and had to put 2 planes on 1. I would say if its that much cheaper then just upgrade and buy your bags upfront, dont wait. Frontier and spirit are great for last minute deals, but for planning out a trip, i would go with southwest.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All things being equal, I would pick Frontier over Spirit, the seats seem better and they recline. Last year I sat for 5 hours in an exit row Spirit seat, that was about the limit for me, however the $220 "all in fare" RT fare was worth it. Plus, Frontier has the in flight entertainment for a nominal fee, $6 on my flight.

I'm a little pissed at Southwest right now, I just checked in at the 24 hour mark for a flight tomorrow and received B46. :grrr: Last week I flew Frontier out of Trenton/Princeton, parked 50 yards from the terminal, checked my bag ($20 fee), went through security and was drinking a beer within 10 minutes of parking. Frontier only charged $3 for seat selection at the time of ticket purchase. I just can't bring myself to pay an extra $25 (round trip) for Southwest's early bird check in. Maybe I should just mentally call it a luggage fee.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Spirit on a 1-hr flight to Vegas, but I don't think I'd do it for a longer trip. The seats are small, don't recline and very close to the seat in front of you. If you're taller than 5'10" or so your legs might be a bit squished. Our flight went fine (our only problem was that the plane wasnt very clean) but at the airport we encountered some folks who had been bumped from a flight the night before and had to stay an extra night in Vegas at a cheap hotel on Spirit's dime. They were happy because they were in no rush to get home but if you really need to get back it probably wouldn't be much fun!

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot this little glitch with Spirit: when attempting to print boarding passes from the hotel, (Spirit charges you if you don't!) I encountered a persistent error. The guy running the business center said, "oh yeah, Spirit has blocked us from accessing their site." But he bypassed the "print boarding pass only" free Internet, logged into the "pay by hour" Internet and printed the boarding passes for us for free.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can't get amenities and low cost. you have to choose which is preferable to you. I'm low maintenance, I'd save the money and pick whomever is cheaper.

7. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Spirit because I have the perfect sized carryon (16x14x12) so no luggage fee and I just booked for November 18-25 Minneapolis to Las Vegas for $42.20 Round Trip (I bought my tickets at the airport and saved an additional $36 from the website prices), Southwest would be $391 for the same trip.
    $22.10 Each way for a Vegas Adventure..........Priceless

8. Beaker

Beaker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you fly Spirit you run the very real risk of not leaving the airport. If Spirit has an aircraft problem and can't get a replacement (which has happened all too often) you may miss out on the first 2 or 3 days of your vacation. Flew them once and will never again.

9. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the dozen or so trips I have gone on flying Spirit, I have yet to be delayed more than 45 minutes, maybe it's because all my Spirit flights have been Non-stop, but GUESS WHAT I am A Gambler and to save $350 I will be more than happy to gamble on Spirit getting me to and from VEGAS and that $350 I saved just this trip..... more than pays for both my Suite for 4 nights at the Cabana suites at ElCo and my 2 nights at the Four Queens and my Rental car with a little cash left over for Grey Goose and Munchies.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I flew Spirit the seats DID recline.

11. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand all the hate on the print boarding pass from home policy because I always go to airport and just print for free from self help kiosk.

12. trsopko

trsopko Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you know what Spirit is going into your trip (a cheap, no-frills, nickel and dime airline that will save you money if you do not care about the inconveniences), then it is totally worth it for me. I am 3/3 with on time departures with them and may feel differently if I lost hours (or days) with them. I have used it for two guys trips and one last minute trip with my wife. I do not think I would book them again with my wife, but will look to use them again for me and my "low maintenance" crew of guys.

13. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit out of MSP several times without any problems. I purchased an American Tourister Atmosphere tote bag which is small enough to be considered as a personal item, so no carry-on fee. This tote can hold several shirts and couple of pairs of slacks, extra pair of shoes and your personal items...and it will fit under the airplane seat. My son used it on a Spirit flight in September, no problems from the Spirit personnel. You can buy one at Walmart for 40 bucks. I receive regular e-mails from Spirit and many times they have some very good deals. They just sent me an offer---Fly out of MSP at 9:30pm on Dec 2 and return on their redeye flight (12:30 am) on the following Saturday...cost..$68.18 all in. Too bad that I have already booked my flights via Sun Country Airlline. The best deal I have had was a $59.80 RT fare to Vegas; hell, the taxi fare from the airport to downtown cost me $28! I know they nickle and dime you with their fees, the seats are uncomfortable and I don't blame anyone for paying $50-100 extra to take another airline; but a $68 RT fare to Vegas is very attractive for a low maintenance guy like myself. All of the Spirit personnel that I have dealt with at the Minneapolis airport have been great. The Airline flies out of the smaller Humphrey terminal which means that the lines thru security are a lot smaller than at the larger Lindbergh terminal; and the walk to your boarding gate is a short one. I am looking at semi-retirement mode sometime next year, which will enable me to take advantage of these last minute deals from Spirit. I have read all of the horror stories about Spirit; I guess that I should consider myself lucky that they have good people working in Minneapolis. If you can get a direct flight, flying solo, and are low maintenance like me...Spirit can offer a good deal.

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That just happened to my friend last week on Frontier. I wouldn't fly with them either.

15. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    seats do not recline now. No leg room.

Spirit is cheaper than any other airline to Vegas from DFW. I fly it but I'm short and do not need the leg room and don't take anything. I expect the delays and for the price I can not complain.

To each there own. I would not fly if I must be there at a certain time ( for business ) put to go to vegas i'm fine with spirit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.