1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We bought our 2nd new car of the year yesterday

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve mentioned in other posts how fortunate I was to marry a like-minded woman 33 years ago and the entire concept came up again this week.

We bought her a 2015 Subaru Outback yesterday and we are awaiting delivery.

This car replaces her 1997 Outback that she purchased new, and that replaced her Saab that she bought new in 1977. 18 years on one and 20 years on the other.:thumbsup:

I’m a lightweight on this. I bought a new 2014 Outback earlier this year which replaced my 1998 Honda that I had purchased new. And that replaced my 1981 Saab, that I also bought new.

So 16 and 17 years for me on my last two.

It is a little weird to think that these may be the last cars we ever own. I can’t see either of us driving in our 80s. I really am not comfortable driving these days because of crazy drivers. What happened to road courtesy? :cry:

For those that want details...my 81 Saab had 180k+ on it when the CAT converter caught fire and totaled the car. The 97 Honda had 240k+ on it but the head casket was going and I wanted a new car! I am the main driver so my wife's previous two cars had a total of ~200k combined.

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A family member is just about ready to purchase one. If you please - why that car? What about it caused you to buy it over the competition?

Thanks,
    Bill

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good on ya, Joe! But don't prematurely bench yourself when it comes to driving!!

I get the bug every once in a while, and then I think: Both cars are free and clear. My '07 Ridgeline is only at 70k and we're rolling more miles on Terri's '10 Passat, but it's still only at 50k. Bottom line, we're frugal when it comes to cars, I guess.

I'm certain the VW will get swapped out long before the Honda, however. :)

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Convoluted answer coming. Partially, just her history with the 1997 Outback. It has been very reliable and probably would have kept it a few more years, but the age and minor repairs were starting to nickel and dime us. She drove my 2014 Outback and liked the feel. I took her to drive Escapes, Santa Fe, Equinox, but in the end she reasoned that she liked her Outback, liked the new one, so why not just stick with that company. Dealership is 8 miles away and they have always treated us right.

Obviously we don't shop for cars often, but got 10% of MSRP and if that's not decent, just hold your tongues. It's a done deal and I don't want to hear how much better we could have done. I on-line shopped 6 dealers and went in person to two of them.

Pluses of her 2015 over my 2014 (and I'm jealous) backup camera has a big fish eye lens. Mine is much tighter on view. On hers, besides the warning markers, you can actually see the rear bumper in the camera view. Better placement of some of the controls vs. mine.

Integrated GPS in the display. That includes radio, Sirius, MPG info etc, all on the same screen.
    Power drivers seat and of course heated on both.
    Self dimming interior and ext mirrors
    Built in compass in rearview mirror.
    Of course the all wheel drive up here in the tundra. Along with all weather mats as standard on the 2.5i premium.

Bottom line there too many to mention if you are upgrading from a 18 year old car. To us, this is like a Lexus or that ilk.

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rollers!

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to see you back on the board, Shifter! :thumbsup:

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with your new wheels,most of these vehicles cost as much or more as my first house. I bought my 2nd. bottle of Glenlivit scotch this month monday, Much cheaper than a new car and seems to keep me pretty happy.

8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on buying and holding.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One friend just got a new Outback (replacing a Honda Crosstour) and another just replaced an old Outback with a Honda CRV. I saw a Volvo I liked this morning, and I keep looking at Outbacks again (my first two cars were Subaru Legacy wagons, awd)

I have an 8 yr old Lexus IS - just had all the valves replaced last year (courtesy of Lexus) and just got it back from the body shop (deer hit me a couple weeks ago). I made it to 120K on my 1993 Subaru, and just under 100K on my 2000 Subaru, and am at 110K now I think. I love the Lexus, it's a great commuting car for me (I drive 60-80 miles a day to commute to work) but the trunk is tiny....On days when I have a hard time fitting toilet paper from Costco into my trunk, I lovingly recall the large back storage area in the Subarus :)

I hope you enjoy the new cars!

10. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    did I read that right, you bought a 2015 Outback and you already own a 2014 Outback?

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My god, has it been 8 years?

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, mine is the 2014 and my wife will now get the 2015.
    Really? In this day a couple can live with one car in the household? I know it wouldn't work for us.

13. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me get this somewhat clear......your wife hits like 13 royal flushes of various values over the your life on this board and YOU get to go shopping on BOYD'S dime.......you are living the dream big boy!!.......what next??? Stay tuned......

14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you're not choosing both the car and the Scotch at the same time. ☺️

15. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, just a warning; with each generation of cars comes additional bells and whistles which add to the things that may need repair. You seem to keep cars for a few generations, and it's great that you and your wife use each car to its maximum life. Maybe not to car companies, but tough on them.

16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I will be in your shoes in the near future. We have 475,000 miles between our two cars.

Good luck to you and safe motoring.

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    475K, Amazing!

This might be a goal for me, but I only drive 6 miles round trip each day.

18. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn Joe, two Scoobies? Gonna have to fit you for a pair of Birkenstocks soon! :poke: (Just please tell me there's no patchouli in your house!:eek:)

I kid, of course. I admire your frugality very much, as well as your obsession with keeping stats on your cars! :nworthy: Congrats on the new rides and best of luck getting another 15-20 years from them.

19. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow that's a long time to keep a car. Must be great having no car payments. I get a new car about every 5 years once it's paid off. I always say when I get the new one I'll keep it 8-10 years but after the 5 year mark I'm itching for something new. Just paid off my 2010 Mustang, and with the 2015 model out now it's very tempting. Although my car only has 35,000 miles on it hard to justify a new car now.

20. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe Suburus are excellent cars and have a well deserved reputation for reliability. However, in California, if you are a female and drive one, you are making a strong statement about your personal lifestyle (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.