1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pasta Pirate closing this week

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Joe, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just dined there on Friday and were told it was closing this Sunday. :cry: It is going to be expanded and turned into some kind of "noodle" place. Sometimes you have to wonder if management is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

We had a 5:30 reservation and the 2 people in front of us didn't. They were told the earliest opening was at 8:30 that night. The place is always busy!

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know that old saying about trying to fix something that isn't broke. It gets worse.

I wonder where they'll be expanding? Hope it's not into the Redwood space. And isn't the other side the cashier/office areas?

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Pasta to Noodles.....what next soup? (Sienfeld)

4. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if the "expansion" is more of an extensive remodel. There is a bar to the left of the door that has a great old school vibe but rarely any people. The restaurant does not have enough seating. They could easily remove the bar and expand the available seating but that will take some time. I hope they don't go with a chain restaurant but that seems to be the trend in these situations.

5. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsdown::grrr:That was one of my fav spots downtown..

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be a number of reasons for the change. While the place may be busy during dinner they may want to make it more of an "all day" restaurant. Since Boyd caters to the Hawaii crowd (and older Hawaiian crowd) and since the Market St. Café line is long in the evenings they may want to provide another option for the Hawaii crowd (who else eats noodles? kidding). To tell you the truth I only ate at the Pasta Pirate once, not sure if the place was popular with the Hawaii crowd. I agree with the bar area, that place was underused and will probably disappear with the renovations.

It's probably about money, while the pirate may have been busy during certain times of the evenings management probably wants to bring in more $$ throughout the day.

7. retro

retro Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh no, the royal flusher will be bummed!

8. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas VIP Whale

I'm bummed!

We had planned on eating there during our trip the first week in November.

Rats!

Cheers,
    Kelly

9. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to be the Devil's advocate, but a ramen place would probably do well there. They know their clientele.

10. mkcoroner

mkcoroner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...just discovered PP this year...great food, great value...very disappointed...

11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also very disappointed and was planning on eating there next week. I don't see any mention of closing on the Cal's website, but you can't make on-line reservations beyond Sunday. One more Vegas plus bites the dust!

12. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should rename it Spam Pirate........LOL. My best buddy and his family are Hawaiian (moved to Cali in late 60's), and always stayed at The California Hotel. I never liked Spam but his family eats it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Maybe call it The Pirates of Spamzance with a welcome sign "E Komo Mai".

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm bummed.

I wonder what will happen to the staff?

14. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I might be in the minority because I'm from Hawaii but like to try other things besides foods from where I live. I can always get these foods back home.

Maybe the Pasta Pirate theme will remain and they will just add a ramen option. And I like the possibility that they will be open for lunch and maybe even breakfast? Takes the pressure off of the Market St. Café.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  15. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope your right! That would be a win/win for all concerned.

16. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Pasta Pirate as well BUT....

FINALLY Boyd is changing it's restaurants downtown. I don't care if it sucks. I've been going to the same restaurants for 15 years. My god a little updating wouldn't kill them!

Let's prey that Tony Roma is next!

17. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Darn, we were thinking of trying it out Tuesday night. We will probably go to Market Street Café instead, but it sounds like that will be busier than ever now. What time would you suggest for a person that detests waiting for anything, but would like to try the prime rib dinner special?

And Joe, damn you, this is all your fault. You have gotten me totally addicted to MSS and now I hear every time you go to Vegas, restaurants close and good VP games disappear. You better stay away from Lappert's :nono:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha Ha, I'm the opposite of you. I like to eat at the Cal lanai (by the entrance facing binions and LVC). I love the hamburger steak, chicken wings and fried noodles there. I also eat at the Market St. Café and gotta have the oxtail soup at least once.

I do try to eat the local food when I visit other places (I tried fish and chips in London, pasta in Rome) but I guess while I'm in vegas I usually eat the Hawaiian type stuff.

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always eat at the counter if it isn't filled to eat the prime rib special. No waiting if a seat is available. Lots of times I just eat at the counter since I seem to get faster service (plus no waiting in line).

I would probably suggest eating early (before 6 pm, probably best at 5 pm) if you want to miss the lines. But that all depends on when the Hawaii charters arrive, sometimes they arrive in the evenings.

20. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I wasn't very accurate in my post. I do like to try other things while in Vegas but I definitely will not leave until I have the ox-tail soup and the hamburger steak with rice, mac salad (with tabasco and shoyu)!

Vegas has so many dining options I like to try as much of it as I can. Especially if it's not available back home. But yeah, definitely will devote a day or two eating the Hawaiian type foods at the Cal. They actually do it quite well!

Miso butterfish....yum!:licklips:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.