1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fuel surcharges?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ruralhipster, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Now that fuel prices are dropping can we expect the surcharges to drop as well?

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whose still charging them? Since fuel prices started to stabilize a while ago, any outfit charging a surcharge now will either keep it or roll it into a price increase.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hahaha, airlines are addicted to fees. If they can add a fee, they'll charge it.

4. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, so are hotels in Vegas.

5. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fuel surcharges appear to be gone for now.

But there's little doubt air fares are currently on the rise, thus it doesn't make much difference.

I had a chance to listen to excerpts from an Airline shareholder conference call. Here, they discussed their quarterly earnings, and future earnings estimates. They bragged on fare demand, and the ability to raise air fares. Shareholders love to hear that sort of thing. It's the best of both worlds for airlines, they're currently enjoying both traveler demand and lower fuel prices. However, things like cheaper oil are usually nothing more than a temporary reprieve.

Ebola fears "could" cause them some problems, but most people believe this will blow over. And none of us really want cheaper airfares because of worries about ebola.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always founds the fees ridiculous and unneeded. Just give me a price it costs to fly and I will decide if it's a fair price and if I'll buy it. I just want to know how much it takes to get myself to point a and back.

7. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt they will decrease fuel surcharges... even if they did then they can increase the base fares.

8. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it funny how airlines are increasing fares in spite of a significant decrease in operating costs. There is room in the industry for a new carrier with a new business model to succeed I think at the present economic conditions. What business model that will be (low-fare hi-tech, comfort and service at a slightly premium price, or just crappy old fuel hog jets with as many seats as possible priced low enough for people to endure) I am waiting to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.