1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LOL this Ebola hysteria is affecting airlines

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Hobofrank, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    friend just got upgraded to 1st class because his round trip has a stop in ATL, unreal

too bad Southwest doesn't have 1st class

2. sheilawithvegasfever

sheilawithvegasfever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder how Ebola will effect people traveling in the next 3 months. Would you cancel or still go?

3. sheilawithvegasfever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see your next trip is one day ahead of ours. Maybe we will have plenty of room on our plane trip!

4. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a trip planned for december. Still going. But I'm in Dallas, so I'm probably safer traveling than staying here.

5. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Utter nonsense. I'm guessing it's mostly television news-watching nail-biters that are worried. (Guess which channel instills the most fear in them.) People should be far more worried about the flu. From the CDC web site:

"Flu seasons vary in severity. It is estimated that between 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and it is estimated that more than 200,000 people are hospitalized on average for flu-related complications each year. Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths in the United States range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people."

6. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems like the people in the US most likely to get Ebola are health care workers cleaning up the diarrhea and vomit from the active case.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No kidding, or maybe at least free drink tix?
    crazy that he got 4 seperate ugrades, one for each leg without asking, just because it stopped in ATL each way from BDL to DEN
    for our 1 hr flight from BUR id be more worried about going to my youngest kids preschool or the ER visitIi had last week than 60 mins on a plane

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go, nothing gets between me and a vegas trip:nono:

10. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not paranoid, but still, I just read that the second nurse did call the CDC and told them she had a fever before getting on the plane, and they didn't tell her NOT to fly. I'd be a bit nervous if I had been the one sitting next to her on that flight.

Doesn't mean I'm not heading to Vegas next week :)

11. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last month a call in show Dr out here was asked about it, his reponse was even without Ebola, these planes don't get cleaned very often, so evenone should carry a small hand sanitizer bottle and a small bag of clorox wipes anyways for the armrests, especially during cold and flu season....but also said that Ebola is very hard to transmit without direct body fluid contact

12. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's more than "non-sense," especially for those of us here in Dallas.

Dallas is declaring a state of disaster today as we have possibly five cases now.

13. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a procedural proposal by the Dallas county commissioners. If approved, "the proposed order would implement the county’s emergency management system, according to the declaration." Turn off the television. Go outside. It's a beautiful day.

Meanwhile, bring on the airfare fire sales! I have some traveling to do! :banana:

14. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    damn skippy, half the mom's at my older 2 kids school are ER nurses at the Hospital across the street,
    I'm more at risk talking to them at pickup than on a damn airplane:haha:

15. sheilawithvegasfever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5+ years ago on the flight to Vegas, I reached for a magazine in front of me and discovered a full barf bag in the insert. I called the attendant and she didn't touch it. She moved us to a other seat. Umm, wonder how often planes are really cleaned.....

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bingo!!!!!!

17. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we have a trip planned for mid december, and i'm not canceling!

18. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the scary thing is not the number of people who contract Ebola as compared to those who get the flu on a yearly average.

The scary thing about Ebola is that it's aggressiveness. The WHO has said that 70% of people with Ebola die. You don't find those kind of mortality rates with the flu. And, that normally occurs within 9 days of symptoms showing.

The other scary thing about Ebola is that it's an RNA virus... which means once it attacks your cells it replaces your RNA and replicates. When it replicates it can mutate... meaning it could find a mutation that's even deadlier than the one we're currently dealing with. Much more difficult to contain, much more difficult to cure.

So, containing the virus right now before it has a chance to spread further is really important.

Am I nervous about catching Ebola right now? Nope. Not in the least. Would I travel to West Africa? Not a chance.

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For most airlines they probably do a full cleaning down at the end of the day but the rest of the time they only do a cursory check of the seats in between flights. They don't check the seat pockets, nor do they wipe down the seat tables in between flights. Many of these flights (like the ones to and from Hawaii, SW flights, etc.) they have little time from when the passengers disembark and the next passengers board the plane.

I'm surprised that they didn't call in the cleaners to remove and sanitize the seat with the barf bag. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that barf bag (seats in front, to the side, seats behind that row, etc.) and I wouldn't want to fly on a plane that had a barf bag, just think how the flight would be if they started smelling the barf much of their trip.

20. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A full cleaning isn't going to eliminate the virus;maybe it will knock down the viral load a little.

Our (great) grandparents lived with small pox, polio, measles, mumps, and without antibiotics. There's lots of nasty microbes out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.