1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown restaurant suggestions?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by vegasloverfromatl, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasloverfromatl

vegasloverfromatl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I have looked through this section for downtown restaurant reviews and then I looked up reviews on line and they weren't the best. We will spend one evening downtown gambling and walking around and want to eat down there. Nothing fancy but not a dive either. We ate at 777 brew pub last time we were there and it was good and my husband loves craft beers so we may end up there again but was hoping for something different. I looked up Redwood, Second Street Grill and Magnolias based on previous threads. The first two is more than we want to spend and the last one didn't get the best reviews. Any insights for me? We leave on Saturday and I am getting VEGAS FEVER!!!

Thanks!
    Justine

2. NeilV

NeilV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Triple George and LeThai. Both very good and reasonably priced.

3. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cafe Cortez has won Best Coffee Shop a couple of times in the Best of Vegas awards, although I think it's more for their prices rather than the food. The food's okay, but nothing you'd consider award-winning. My wife loves the Grotto at Golden Nugget for happy hour. Had three belinis and a pizza for $17 including the tip.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It also depends on what you want to eat. For prime rib, I like eating at the Market St. Café at the Cal. Their prime rib is about $10, you get an all you can eat salad bar (or soup instead), prime rib, a starch (baked potato, rice etc.) and a veggie. For dessert you get cherries Jubilee. It is well worth the $10 price IMHO.

Late at night one of their specialties (at the Market St. Café) is the oxtail soup. Very delicious.

As you mentioned, Magnolias is a nice place to eat. (also Redwood Grille and 2nd street grill and 777). If you want a higher end place you can go to Oscars. The restaurant overlooks the Fremont St. Experience so you get a great view looking down the FSE.

Can't beat 777 with their beers though. Not many restaurants can compete with that.

5. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best restaurant Downtown by far is Hugo's Cellar, although that may be a step up from what you're looking for. It's not hoity toity by any means, but flip flops and a wife beater ain't gonna work there either.

I love 777 for a decent meal and a beer and have gone many times, although my last time the food was terrible, which was a shock. I'm chalking it up to a bad night and will give them another chance when I come back.

I really liked the chinese place in the Downtown Grand, although I think I remembered hearing they cut their hours and aren't open all the time anymore.

Redwood Grille was awful when I went, both food and service.

Triple George was very good each time I went. And someone mentioned Le Thai...I haven't been there yet but I can't wait to try it.

TFK

6. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza Rock across from The DT Grand was very good too. $20 for the large pizza.

Vegas Sept 043.jpg

I haven't been there but doesn't the stage and zipline tower block the view now?

7. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Le thai

8. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    another vote for Le Thai

9. vegasloverfromatl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there,

Thanks for your options but nothing is standing out to me that is going to be a great meal except 777 which we have eaten at before. We aren't looking for an expensive place to eat but don't want to eat at a dive either. I'm not a thai fan. Anything else? I remember we ate at an irish pub right on the corner of Fremont. I wonder if that is still there. Maybe we should eat on the strip and then come down. LEt me know if you come up with anything else. I so appreciate your advice but when I look up the middle of the road restaurant reviews, they aren't so good!

10. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Yep, you can't beat Hugo's Cellar at 4 Queens, but if you want to step down in price, Magnolia's (same location) is also good.

11. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you point us to a couple of the reviews you mentioned?

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me in as a Triple George fan as well. I'm surprised you read poor reviews on Magnolia's... though I've yet to dine there, it is frequently mentioned in a positive light here on the VMB.

13. vegasloverfromatl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked the restaurants up on yelp, trip advisor etc.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Unfortunately you are partially correct. The stage blocks the initial view of the FSE but you can look over the stage and see the rest of the FSE on down. The zip line scaffold also blocks some of the view down the FSE. But you can still see the action down the FSE, plus you can watch the nightly show up above.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably better to eat elsewhere if you don't find reviews of the aforementioned that good. Many of the suggestions were of some of the better restaurants downtown.

Some other restaurants:
    Aloha Specialties café in the 2nd floor promenade between the Cal and MSS. Hawaiian type food
    Cal lanai, located on the 1st floor near the entrance facing Binions and LVC. Again Hawaiian type food
    Tony Roma at the Fremont - nuff said
    There is a lanai area at the fremont for take out food
    HHAGG at the Plaza. big portions
    Benny's bullpen at Binions - café style food
    Restaurant at GG

Of course you have the buffets but I don't think you are into that
    MSS garden court buffet
    Fremont paradise buffet
    GN buffet

16. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The D cafe it's on the second floor, good food and prices are reasonable.

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like the $10 Prime Rib at Market Street Cafe at The California,
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45963-d3803467-Reviews-Market_Street_Cafe-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

We also like the Chicken Fried Steak at Dupars in Golded Gate (great roasted veggies),
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45963-d1862535-Reviews-Du_Par_s_Restaurant_and_Bakery-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

Where do you like to eat on the strip?

18. warpdrvr

warpdrvr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for Magnolia's in 4Q. I wouldn't worry about the reviews. Give it a try. I'm married to one of the pickiest eaters I've ever seen and she insists on eating there at least 2 times every time we get to Vegas. She loves it

19. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pasta Pirate in the California is another good option that no one has mentioned. The food and atmosphere are both good. If you go higher end, my preference is Andiamo at the D. 777 is a standard stop multiple times each trip. If you are still downtown late, you can't go wrong with the pancakes at Dupar's inside Golden Gate.

Magnolia's is consistently good. You can count on good food but atmosphere and service might not be what you are looking for. Then again, if you are happy with the service at 777 (very slow IMHO) that part might not matter.

20. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Andiamo at the D. Fantastic food, service, and prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.