1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Traveling from St louis

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by njude1971, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njude1971

njude1971 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming to Vegas Again this year (woohoo) in November. We just were there at the end of September. We always travel Southwest, however, this time we are flying out on American. I am a little nervous because we have to fly into LAX. We have a layover of an hour and 40 min. I have never been to LAX. I know it's busy but how hard is it to navigate around?

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think all American flights are out of terminal 4, so it should be an easy gate change.

3. njude1971

njude1971 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!

4. robron

robron Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had to do this a couple of years ago with only a half hour lay over. I was really stressing about it but when we got there all we had to do was walk across the hall. It took all of 2 minutes.

5. teacher1

teacher1 Low-Roller

Made a plane in LAX on Delta on the way to Hawaii a couple years ago. We had, what I thought was a short time between flights, and had absolutely no trouble moving from our landing to departure gate. In fact, we had time to grab some McD carry out when walking between gates. I think your time allotment is generous, and I would not have a moments concern about making the transfer. Enjoy your vacation!

6. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also fly from St. Louis, but we always fly Southwest because of the availability of non-stop flights. Many years ago there were more choices. I'm just curious as to why you opted for American.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lately Southwest has not been the cheapest by far. In our market, US Air and even Delta have been underselling them.

8. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the biggest myths in company reputation currently is how Southwest Air fares are cheaper.

That simply hasn't been true in our market (St. Louis) for minimum 5 yrs.

We always shop for the cheapest fares from St. Louis to Vegas. The last time we flew Southwest was December 2008.

9. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won't experience a big problem with LAX, as long as you do not leave the terminal and go back through TSA.

10. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be nervous, St.Louis just eliminated my Dodgers again, i would stay away from wearing red in LA. Then again, the Rams are moving back to LA, so all things considered, a fair tradeoff.......LOL.

11. njude1971

njude1971 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly Southwest but when we were going , the deal just wasn't there. Since we were just there at the end of September and are turning around and going the second week in November, I tried to find ways to save some $$$$

12. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotcha, and lucky you to be going back again!

13. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that SW being the dominant carrier out of STL has made them woefully unwilling to compete on price. They certainly are NOT a low fare airline. We are 100 mi. north of STL and used to drive there and fly to LV and elsewhere. Now, the 3 small airports in Central Illinois (Springfield, Peoria, and Bloomington) are our airports of choice, for several reasons - first, the fares are actually cheaper than driving to StL most of the time. Second, these three all offer FREE parking, and Third, the security lines take seconds instead of minutes. With good connections in DFW, ORD and other places, it's really a no-brainer for us. Example - 6 of us next week SPI-DFW-LAS saved over $125 per ticket over the SW fares from STL.

14. Amn1410

Amn1410 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey there roycpa. If you are 100 miles north of stl, we must be from around the same area. Which of the three smaller airports do you prefer? I'm having my bachelor party memorial day weekend and wondering if one of those or Kansas city would be better

15. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Amn1410 - Kansas City is a looong way from Cent. IL in a car. We're closest to SPI, but if BMI or PIA has better prices, we're gone. Allegiant flies to LV from PIA (Non stop) and so does AA, UA and DAL, In the other two it's only AA & UA. Just keep checking prices and book when you see one you like. Mem. day is still a long way off.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly! You'll have no problems in LA... enjoy your trip!

I'm kinda glad Southwest is pricing themselves to keep their planes full, but not at the bottom of the market. Their planes are clean, their staff is unbelievably pleasant and the whole experience is a notch about the others IMHO. I fly them 15-20 times a year. It would appear they've developed a bit of a loyal following and no longer need to bargain-basement priced.

17. Amn1410

Amn1410 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Roycpa- you must be a little further east of me. I am in quincy on the river so kc is 3 hours on the dot. Way less expensive than stl, so we are doing that. Got a spirit ( yea I know ) for $126 a man. Decided to go an extra night late and SW doesn't leave that late. Hopefully find a cheap one way back on SW. Memorial Day weekend 6 guys and 3 rooms at harrahs for 4 nights hopefully under $400 a man with flight. ( one room comped all nights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.