1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Debit cards and holding funds

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by kayhill232, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayhill232

kayhill232 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a trip planned Feb 5 thru 9, not sure on where we're staying yet, except will probably do 2 nights on strip, 2 nights downtown (leading towards California). We plan on paying for our hotel up front and have everything (flight and hotel) paid before we get there; however, I've read that hotels will take your debit card info and hold onto funds through your stay and those funds will not be available. I really don't want that because we have 2 kids at home who I want to be able to have access to our account if they need anything while we're gone. Not to mention if we need anything while we're there, I'd like to have access to our money. Are there hotels who do not do this or is there any way to get around it?

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No way around it except a CC instead, a couple years ago MB took my debit card for the reservation, but at check in would only accept a CC, even when i said just put a hold for cash (the balance was vey big on that acct)
    nothing doing, consider using or getting a CC just for this, because that's what we did

3. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak to debit cards but they will request a credit card for incidentals. I was very fortunate, once, to offer $450 cash to the Venetian instead of a credit card and they took it then returned it when I left. They will require some sort of security for your stay.

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There have been a lot of discussion on the debit card subject, but the easiest and best way to avoid the hold on a debit card is to not use one to book the room, but to use a credit card instead. They will put the hold on the credit card which would fall off after a week or so, but wouldn't affect accessibility for you or your kids to the fund. You can then use the debit card to pay at the end of the stay by going to the desk and having them take the payment off the card instead of charging the credit card.

If you pay for the hotel upfront, the hotels have been know to take cash deposits for hold or tell them that you do not want to charge to the room, which some will not place a hold or need a room deposit.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many hotels don't place a hold on a debit card - they do an actual charge on it and then refund the amount back after you check out. And it's not unusual for the funds to take forever to be returned. It's hard to say who will waive the incidental deposit but your best bet would probably be to find one that can take it in cash if a waiver is not possible. Policies change often. I would hate to steer you to hotels that used to waive the deposit only to find they don't any longer. Be prepared to follow up with phone calls and emails to whatever places are suggested.

6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya this comes up way to often. Simply use a CC and don't even worry about it till you get home from your trip, then just check to make sure nothing was charged.

7. simonay

simonay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this website because if you click on a hotel it tells you how much they will hold on your card. It can vary quite a bit... At the Cosmo on my last trip it was$150 per night being held but looking on there places like Bally's are only $15 per night so perhaps you can use it to influence where you stay if its a big issue for you...

http://www.vegastripping.com/lasvegas/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.