1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hiking Trails and Tunnels near Hoover Dam

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Ty, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. sandman748

sandman748 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did this hike in January this year. Its more of a long walk than it is a hike. The trails are well groomed. Some enjoyable views and the tunnels are pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure you could walk all the way to the dam parking area if you wanted. We only made it to the second tunnel and had to turn around as it took a lot longer than we thought it would and had a flight to catch.

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it several times a year, last time in May. It's over 4 miles from the parking area (free but crowded on weekends) to the Hoover Dam visitor Center. Something closer to 4.5 miles I think. The trail is pretty well marked. When you get close to the old switch yard, near the current Police Station you can take a little diversion to their "boneyard" and see some of the old, broken impellers and machinery. Interesting.

Once you walk all the way down the hill, past the stautues and onto the dam to the State Line to take your picture, turn around and look - you have to walk UP that dam hill! It's a long way up.

I walked nearly 15,000 steps averaging 2.9 mph in my last trip according to my iPhone app, if that can be believed. I went through three liters of water. Got my lily white New England Irish skin sunburned too. But had a blast! I might do it again this weekend when I return, depends on how I feel Sunday.

It's a great walk! Saw some nice birds, met nice people, made some new dog friends. And you can't beat the view. Try it!

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not up for walking the entire trail.

Let's say I want to do half of it, which half is more interesting?

5. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sandman is correct - you can follow the trail all the way to the top level of the Dam parking garage. And if you're running the Hoover Dam marathon (as we did a few years ago) running down the switchback walkway alongside of the garage and back up (my legs are burning just thinking about it) is part of the racecourse.

Don't forget to look up in the nearby hills to see the mountain sheep :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.