1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

non stick pans

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LolaDoggie, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm probably going to regret this. But....

can anybody tell me if the better quality non stick pans last any longer/better than the cheaper ones? I buy the T-Fal brand every few years, that's how long they seem to last with us. I'm wondering if it's worth it to invest or not. Sometimes you spend more it's worth it. Sometimes you spend more and it's not worth it. I'd like to get an idea where this one lands.

I know there are a lot of dedicated foodies on this board who are very knowledgeable. Just fyi, I don't call what I do cooking. I call it putting dinner on the table. I'm a housewife. Hot meals are part of the job. I do homemade because I'm cheap and I try to eat healthy. I make my own sourdough...in the bread machine. I make my own freezer jam...in the bread machine. I own 6 crockpots. You follow me? Anyhow, I know this is going to attract some of the foodies and I look forward to hearing from you. But, if you start going on about stuff that just too fancy for me, picture my eyes glazing over. So, please dumb down your responses for me. Type slowly so I can understand OK?

2. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went through about six sets of average pans before splashing out on a set of Circulon premier (you can get good discounts in sales).

The trick is not to wash them too much. They need keeping clean, but most of the time I wipe them down with a wet cloth rather than soak them and always avoid using any kind of abrasive brush (anything with bristles as well).

EDIT: For the above to work well though you need a dedicated pan for certain things so flavours don't affect cooking. I.E - keep a pan you just do eggs in, keep another for steak, another for strongly flavoured sauces etc etc.

Also - use spray on oil to coat the pan before each use.

I'm not a foodie, but I have kippered a lot of pans in the past :)

3. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short answer; I personally don't find much of a difference between high end and low (unless we include ikea in that. ... ) The non-stick pans just aren't built for heat.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I respectfully disagree. Circulon stuff can handle a real blasting as often as you want. The really cheap stuff is garbage and most in-between stuff is as you say.

Saying that - the days of pans for life are over I think. That existed before non-stick.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched to the smart $ final brand after seeing the omellete guy in vegas using one. he obviously uses the same pan non stop all breakfast shift.

Bought a big one and a small one. I have used the small one for breakfast every day for at least a year and it is working great still. Of course the big one is almost like brand new.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use spray oil. But, I do use the dishwasher to clean them. I know....I'm a bad person.

Eddie, what's the name of that brand?

I'll look into the Circulon Premier brand.

Mike, I've never bought the Ikea ones. Just the T-fal ones. My mother told me just throw them out every few years so that's what I've been doing. But, I'm wondering if the technology has improved.

What about the ceramic ones? Anybody know?

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have circulon that I love (I had asked for a calphalon pan for Christmas many years ago and my in-laws got me a set of Circulon from Costco instead. Ah well. I do love the pans) My husband hates the circulon skillet for his eggs and pancakes so every couple of years, I get him the Tfal that he likes from TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Tuesday Morning for very little $ (usually around $12) I'm happy with my good pans, he's happy with his eggs & pancakes skillets that get replaced when they get scratched up.....

This isn't the set I have but mine is quite a few years old, so.... http://www.costco.com/Circulon%C2%AE-Premier-Professional-Hard-Anodized-Nonstick-13-Piece-Cookware-Set.product.100104723.html

I would never buy myself a set because there are pans that I typically don't use, so why buy? Or I want different versions of different things. That said, I find I do use most of the pans weekly, and all of them at least monthly. The extra large skillet and the stock pot are the least frequently used....(I have a le creuset dutch oven I use instead of the stock pot most of the time, and tend to use the 5qt saute instead of the extra large skillet, so....Just cooking preference)

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silicone & wood only, but still, eventually they get scratched (dishwasher is to blame for some, storage probably some more, and the rest - kitchen imps?)

11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a few Circulon pans and liked them well. I've actually had good experiences with most hard anodized pans we've owned when we've taken care of them but some will last better than others. We had a set of Emeril cookware that seemed kinda sensitive but it did last for a good five years. Probably the next thing we try will be a some combination of Le Creuset and something like Circulon.

12. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't stack non-stick pans so escape that issue but teflon is an incredibly fragile material. It's designed to be non-sticky, so you can imagine how difficult it is to get it to stick to the pan.

I'd get some decent stainless steel pans (with really thick bases) if you need a lot of stuff that needs regular stirring while cooking. I don't know many restaurants that use teflon coated pans and a really thick base is just as good (can be very expensive and heavy though).

My dad is a fanatical cook and has about 50 pans so he uses different ones for different things. They are not really a one size fits all kind of purchase.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a good set of stainless steel pots and pyrex and whatnot. I prefer my crockpots to dutch ovens. I just need actual pans-skillets. I also have my mother's cast iron pans from when she got married. She had the 3 pan set so each kid took a pan. I'm the youngest, but, I ended up with the big one. That's a serious pan. I am not using metal objects on or near the pans. My husband used to and with 20 years of steady berating, he has stopped doing so. I'll look at both Costco and Sam's Club. I also have a good 10" glass pan cover from whatever kitchen thingie mlm that my sister in law sells, so I need a 10" pan to fit it for sure.

I looked at the Circulon website, they look good. They have a twin pack for $40 of pretty much what I need. I'd be satisfied with that.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have many pots & pans. Was really only responding to the non-stick question in this thread. And the scratching refers to my husband's Tfal, which I don't use nor am I responsible for washing or storing - I just replace when he messes them up. I don't have any questions, concerns, or issues with my own cooking right now, thanks ;-)

15. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's OK. I'm sure you're a great cook. I was just making conversation.

16. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds like a really good deal. I got a 5 pack for $200 (£130 UK price) and thought that was a good deal.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought these fuzzy things at the dollar store you put in between each pan to keep them separate. They work pretty well. Makes them easier to store. I have a good sized kitchen but a small house.

You'll notice on cooking shows and at restaurants that real chefs rarely use non-stick. It's just not done. You'll also notice their stuff doesn't stick to the pan. You know why? They don't care how much butter or oil they use. I'm pretty sure there are non-stick pans in use at their own homes when cooking for themselves and their families. They might never admit to it.

18. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeh I'll bet Gordon Ramsey has at least one non-stick pan. Although if you know what you're doing and get a 2cm thick base on a pan you can apparently stop things sticking. I didn't have any luck though.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you truly need nonstick buy a stack of the inexpensive ones at the restaurant supply shop and don't be drawn in by all the names and marketing.

Or just use a good grade ply with stainless interior. It won't stick if kept clean and treated it with a modicum of respect. That's the "best" solution and you're not worried about the crap in nonstick when it starts becoming nonstick. Hell, even our 20-year-old anodized (nonstick) still releases just fine. It's the Indian not the arrow.

20. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Isn't a nicely seasoned cast iron pan considered non-stick as well? I use one that my parents used to use regularly, it has a slick smooth surface, and is as nonstick as any teflon pan I've used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.