1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"Yeah, I Don't Gamble"

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yesterday, I was at my desk preparing reports for my Executive's next meeting. The person he is meeting walked up to my desk and stood. I tell him it will be just a few moments and to have a seat. He remains standing looking around my desk. He focuses on my Vegas sign, which is lit and flashing. I love this thing, have had it for I think ten years now and it is still going strong!

Anyway, he asks am I from Vegas. I get this question a lot when people see my desk because there is a lot of Vegas stuff here. If I had a lot of Santorini trinkets on my desk, would he think I was from there? I never understood when people ask am I from Vegas. But I tell him no, I just the love heck out of the place! He shook his head a little and said, "yeah, I don't gamble". :rolleyes2: I'm thinking, first of all, I didn't ask you jacka**. Second, get away from my desk.

He asked what is the fascination people have with Vegas "these days". I smiled and told him there is much, much more to Vegas than gambling. That it is a total adult entertainment mecca which includes everything. Then I told him my Executive will be with him momentarily, turned and continued preparing reports.

I. cannot. stand. people who do this. They deride something they know nothing about.

Or am I just a bit Vegas-sensitive?!?! LOLOL!!!!!!

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would always answer these types of queries with "Oh, really?"

Then, before they could answer, I would say, "I'll be right with you. I'm just touching up my presentation. See you down at the meeting."

If they persisted, I would add "I think they have cake down there."

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That cracked me up!:haha:

4. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "yeah I don't understand people that don't gamble or that can't find a way to have fun in Vegas, I think they must be Mormons , you know what I'm sayin'?"

5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you understand office dynamics! Loved it! LOLOL!!!

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, I have that welcome to lv sign on my desk. It is the small one though, only 6" or so. Like you I had non vegas lovers ask me about it. I usually answer in 1 word sentences or grunts if possible. I'm not going to justify or get into a conversation with a non vegas lover. If someone asked me about the vegas fascination or said "I don't gamble" I probably would have said "whatever" (or "that's nice" or to each his/her own) and ignored him. I know there is no way to explain vegas to a non vegas lover, nor to make that person like vegas or want to visit the place. They usually just don't get it.

Or maybe they are morons, lol, I always get the two mixed up, lol :evillaugh nah, just kidding. I heard a funny conversation over a decade ago, someone asked about those guys in nice plain white dressed shirts and long pants walking around the neighborhood. Someone mentioned that they were morons. Someone else then tried to correct him by saying, "no they are mormons". The guy came back, "no they are morons!". :poke: Sorry, just making a joke, hope that I don't offend anyone here for that crude joke.

7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "You don't know how lucky you are.....the tax headaches alone make me wonder why I still go" and leave it at that....and yes there is punch with the cake as well....down the hall!

8. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I run into people and they learn that I spend 8 to 10 weeks in Las Vegas every year some have actually asked me if I have a gambling problem? I ask them if the million plus people who live there do then? If so, theirs must be way worse than mine as they must gamble 365 days a year!

Idiots are more common these days than they used to be. Sounds like you found another one!

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on this for sure!!!

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what would a Mormon be doing on VMB and why would you care about offending a Moron? :evillaugh

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You gamble everyday you get in your car and drive to work.

Me neither. I pay for entertainment like everyone else. The only difference is I may get some, all or more of my money back.

12. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't gamble a lot but like you said it's the adult entertainment Mecca. I always get "oh you and Vegas" when I say I'm going but it's always from those that have never been or have been but don't know how to really have any kind of fun and to just take it all in.

13. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My response to "I don't gamble" is "Oh, I'm sorry". It's a polite answer that screws with their mind.

14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always say, "I usually go with a group of Mormons that don't gamble either."

15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know who this person was, but if potential clients or customers come to your desk, your boss is a fool for permitting you to display a flashing "Las Vegas" sign.

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering about that myself.

Yea, I love Vegas too, but have opted to not advertise my degenerate excess.

17. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love this!

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhhh Bard my friend, I must disagree with on this one. I understand your point point that in business, you want to be middle of the road and not "off putting" in appearances (both personal and office environment), BUT one of the fun things I always do when I go into someone's personal space at an office, whether it be cubicle, office or even a reception area is to look around at their personal effects (pictures, etc.). Often times you see pictures of kids playing soccer or a family vacation photo from somewhere "known" or some memorabilia for a favorite place, etc. It allows the employee to "personalize" their space, within reason of course, and bring a bit of "who they are" to the office and allows the smart visitor a window into who they're meeting... great way to spark-up a conversation, which apparently is what occurred here.

Now I'm presupposing this Welcome to Vegas sign isn't a 4'x6' large sign hanging behind the desk, overwhelming the space, but rather similar to the one I have that's like 8 inches tall and the sign is about 6" wide I guess. In my situation, I have ties to state government and Nevada business, so it's expected more so than in the OP's case. I'd think differently if the OP had pictures of being at Strip Clubs and mini-stripper poles on the desk, etc. Those things I think could be construed by an average visitor as offensive, but I don't see this instance as being any different than having vacation photos or memorabilia from Hawaii or New York City.

I'm biased though and DO KNOW that we in Nevada and Las Vegas fight this "judgement" of Las Vegas when it comes to doing business here or when people across the nation discuss where to have their conferences. Someone mentions Las Vegas and there's either someone who will vocally oppose it in the meeting or more likely, quietly start a rebellion in the coffee room later because of the "appearance" of holding their meeting in Sin City. I know that clouds my judgement, as we crave for the rest of the word to see us as a legitimate destination with great hotel rooms, venues and restaurants that's easy to reach and NOT just a place to go and lose your mind and money.

I think the individual the OP encountered is one of those self-righteous, judgmental assholes, much like the type when you mention a favorite TV program and the person you're speaking with says, "we don't watch much TV or worse yet, we don't own a TV", as if that makes them a more whole person. I know that in business though, the self righteous, judgmental asshole's $$$ is just as green as anyone else's and that's what your there for, not to express your personal tastes. Hell, I suppose I drove the car around the block and ended up agreeing with you... but I don't like it!

19. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it may depend on the business you're in whether one should display their desired recreational activities. You probably shouldn't display Vegas paraphernalia if the business caters to religious people, whatever that business may be. But I work in an area that deals with many conservative-minded people in the military. I can tell you that they want to have fun, and Vegas is the type of place they love to go.They're just people who balance what they believe and what they like to do to have a healthy lifestyle. I've talked to many people in my line of business about my Vegas endeavors. And all of them enjoy talking with me about it.

20. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you are a little Vegas-sensitive. From your post, it sounds like you are offended by someone just trying to make conversation, offering a little about himself. Like someone saying "I'm not a pet owner" to someone who has a dog picture in his cube. It's ok.

When people mention to me about gambling and Vegas, I tell them I don't go to Vegas to gamble either. I go to the local tribal for that. It doesn't cost $500 to get there. I go to Vegas for the cheap resorts, the nice pools, the weather, and the adult atmosphere. And I also gamble when I'm there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.