1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas fun on the Strip - August 23-26

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by da1chifan, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Vegas fun on the Strip - August 23-26 (Harrahs & Mirage)

I started to type this out in a long, detailed version, but I quit on the afternoon of day 2. It just takes too long and what I find interesting or funny, may not be to others. I am happy to answer any questions or expand on anything in my report.

One thing that you will eventually learn about me through trip reports is that I don’t have a label. I don’t call myself a High Roller or a low roller. They are misleading titles. I buy what I want and spend what I want. I am extravagant in some areas and cheap in others. My husband is the exact same way. In this particular report, you will see us take the bus downtown and back on the same night we go to Wynn and spend $200 on glasses of champagne and scotch. We play MyVegas, but we pay to fly First Class. I think I like the thrill of the chase, but I try to balance it with all of the expensive things I can’t live without. ;)

I will post days as separate posts so you won't get lost with all the text and photos. Just give me a few minutes to get it all loaded. :thumbsup:

P.S. This is trip #23, but I've only been going to Vegas since 2007.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SATURDAY AUGUST 23rd –
    I fly out of MSP via Delta. 7am flight. First Class 3A. I start listening to my iPod. As soon as we get above the clouds, “Life’s Been Good” comes on. Can this be a sign that this will be another epic Vegas trip? I hope so! I passed on the first class breakfast, but I have 4 Avion margaritas and peruse Fantasy football shit and play on the internet during the flight. My husband is competing in a classic car show today and meeting me on a later flight.
    20140823_074415.jpg 20140823_074451.jpg
    I arrive and take a cab to Harrah’s. I chose the free room since I was moving to Mirage the next day, plus I was finally going to use some of my RCs so might as well take the room too. It’s only a crash pad, so it works. It’s a Premium room with High Roller view.
    20140823_192929.jpg 20140823_192941.jpg
    I take the CX from FSM to the North Outlets, as I’ve never been. I went to the Tory Burch store and found nothing. I walked around a bit and then took the CX back to the Strip.

I stopped in TI for a drink and play some shitty bartop VP but not for very long because of the crotchety bartender.

I get checked in and go to room, drop my bags off, and head to one of my favorite places, Yardhouse in the Linq. I watch the LLWS game (from Chicago, so was rooting for Jackie Robinson West, against the Vegas team). I have a Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, a Lost Coast Watermelon Wheat, a Goose Island 312 (that was from a bad keg, but the manager wouldn’t change it), and a Kona Big Wave. I’ve had them all before, but of course, they are good. To eat, I had the coconut shrimp appetizer which has always been good, but this time was just OK then an hour or so later, I had the pear and gorzonzola flatbread. It’s good as usual.

I have to keep reminding myself to not get drunk as I have my fantasy football draft tomorrow!

I play some slots at Harrah’s for an hour or so. I get back to my room and my keys don’t work. 4 times up and down to the front desk with visits from security and maintenance, I finally get working keys and a new lock. Supervisor gave me a $50 credit for being understanding. I say it is not necessary and I am not one of those people who complains at every little thing to get free shit. I said I know that shit happens and I’m not going to ruin my vacation over it. He insists and I thank him.

My husband arrives at 8pm. We take the monorail to MGM, then head over to Monte Carlo. We play slots there for about an hour. At 10pm, we head to The Pub where I have a $100 bar tab during the dueling pianos (free from MyVegas). The piano guys are not good, but it’s pretty funny. We were sitting at the bar as far away from them as we could. At one point, the guy begins Shook Me All Night Long… but says…. “She was a fax machine…………” Okay it could have been the alcohol talking, but we both immediately looked at each other and swore we heard the same thing. We cracked up the rest of the trip over this. We have many beers and a general good time. We also had the warm pretzel appetizer, which was just okay, but will prove to be handy in soaking up some alcohol! We supposedly didn’t go over the $100, although I am certain we did. We paid for our appetizer and gave him a $30 tip and left about midnight.

*Note: I have been at The Pub at least once every trip and know several of the bartenders. I have seen it with my own eyes and they’ve continually said they’ve gotten stiffed many many times by MyVegas people (they didn’t offer the information, but I always ask how it’s been going lately). Many people still aren’t tipping after they get their free shit. It is sickening. No wonder they always seem excited when we come in. LOL

We play some more slots in Monte Carlo and leisurely walk back to Harrah’s. We stopped at the Cromwell on the way back. I don’t remember much about it that night, though. I think we crashed about 2am.

3. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SUNDAY AUGUST 24th –
    We go down to Harrah’s buffet to use the credit before we checkout. It was around $42 for 2 people for the weekend brunch. No line at 830am. I know it’s not good, but hey, some free mimosas would be just fine with me. The lettuce salad with ranch was good (LOL), but the eggs sucked, the bacon was okay, the pancakes sucked, the biscuits and gravy was god awful, and the fruit was canned. I had a salad, half of a mini bagel, and an orange mini cupcake (which tipped over into my pancake syrup – FAIL – so that ended up sucking too). I did have 3 mimosas though, which were elegantly served with ice in clear large solo cups… WTF. Our server was good though.

Note: I *was* able to charge the Yardhouse to my room and was absolutely assured would come out of my RCs at 1:1. Even my RCs looked right in my account. However, I found out differently when I got my September email statement last week. This is still working on being resolved and I’ll have to post another update with what happens.

Move over to Mirage at 950am. Waited nearly 10 minutes (gasp!) in the Gold/Platinum line. I paid for early check in so I could for sure be in my room in time to get ready for my online draft at 11am. There was no way I was going to risk drafting on my phone or trying to pick up random wifi. The front desk lady also gave me a Strip-view room, but didn’t mention it at the time. I still prefer pool view as you can see more of the Strip, but it was still nice. Room is clean as always. Wifi was spotty in the room. I was getting disconnected during my draft, but it only hurt me a time or two. (Below are my drinks of choice for my draft - Alka Seltzer, Pedialyte, and beer... LOL)
    20140824_121906.jpg
    I was missing my friends that I’ve drafted in Vegas with the previous 2 years, but had fun chatting with them online during the draft. 6 of the 10 league members got together at one of the guy’s houses in Indiana. I was sad I was missing the party, but who cares!? I’m in Vegas!!! For the 3rd year in a row, I win Yahoo’s “Best Draft” award. It is based on projections for the year and we all know that means jack shit after a few weeks. But still, I’m the only female in the league so it’s nice to get it.

We had forgotten we planned to use a Mirage brunch buffet reward today, but we figured we could get something to eat again since it had been almost 6 hours since Harrah’s and we didn’t eat much there anyway. We went to the MLife desk to redeem our rewards. My husband had no problem redeeming his brunch buffet for 2 (free from MyVegas), but we encountered a problem with both of our FreePlay rewards. The German prison guard MLife lady (with no name tag) said we each had to have our own 2-night reservations in order to redeem our FP rewards. I said that is incorrect, his name is on the reservation too and she said only one could be used per reservation. She wouldn’t budge. It would take until Tuesday morning to get this resolved………

We went to the Mirage buffet and used the reward. There was no line here at approximately 145pm. We didn’t feel like eating a whole lot but the selection was pretty good. The flair salad guy is cool. I had a great salad and only had a few things here and there. Had lots of champagne though. We had a fantastic server and she said we tipped her “too well” (we gave her $12). She gave us a 2-for-1 coupon and to come back and see her tomorrow. We didn’t though.

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing slots at Mirage. I didn’t want to drink beer since I was full from eating, but I didn’t want to get hammered since we had a full night planned. They had a decent pinot grigio on the floor and had fairly good service once we stayed in the same area for a while. We were up and down with luck all day. We played slots until 6pm when we went upstairs to change. My husband fell asleep while I was getting ready. He said he wanted to stay in the room and sleep. I told him to get the fuck up and stop being a baby, in a sweet tone though.

We had 7pm tickets to the Beatles LOVE Cirque show (free from MyVegas). We got in line for the theater about 645. I decided to get a drink before the show. I ordered the “Can’t Buy Me Love” drink. The lady asked if I wanted the small drink for $12 or the big drink for $20, which she said contained 4 times the alcohol. Duh, I went with the value play here and that was a mistake. The drink was way too strong (not that it’s a problem, but it just didn’t taste good with the Absolut Citron and cranberry juice in the same drink) and only ended up choking down half of it.
    20140824_185517.jpg 20140824_190034.jpg
    LOVE was just okay. It started out with what I think should have been the finale. The parts with fast songs were good, the parts with slow songs were very very boring. My husband agreed with me when I said the show would likely be much better under the influence of LSD.

We had 9pm dinner reservations at Old Homestead. We walked from Mirage to Caesars OF COURSE getting lost in the Forum Shoppes on the way. I freaking hate that place. We got there a little late, but they were okay with it. Dinner was fantastic. I had the filet (cooked medium) and it was fantastic. The crust they create on the steak from the salt and the sear is very good. My husband had the 2lb lobster and said it was very good. We shared the potato puree and the asparagus. I had 2 glasses of a Riesling and my husband had a beer. We went through a bottle of Pellegrino and a bottle of Voss. I found out after the fact that it was complimentary! I always pay for premium water so that just saved me at least $10. Very nice touch! Paid in full with husband’s RCs, cash tip.
    20140824_213324 - Copy.jpg 20140824_215439.jpg 20140824_223411.jpg
    We walked back to Mirage and played slots for about another couple hours. Then crashed.

Attached Files:

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good report - I am enjoying it!

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MONDAY AUGUST 25th –
    I get up before my husband again and I am ready to go before he is even out of bed. I check my TR and MLife accounts to see that things are posting the way they should be. I go downstairs and play some slots while my husband is getting ready.

We had plans to take the monorail to SLS and have breakfast at Griddle Café. That changed however, between the walk from our room at Mirage where I “wasn’t that hungry yet” to when we crossed the street where I suddenly “was going to die any second if I didn’t eat something”. Ended up at HHAGG. We really like their tangerine Asti mimosas, even though the food isn’t the best. There were no redeeming qualities in our breakfast today so we won’t be back again. Finally! Paid in full with husband’s RCs, cash tip.

We took the monorail to check out SLS. I had signed us up for players cards ahead of time, but the line was way too long to wait. We walked around and while there are some nice touches here and there, I just don’t see myself spending much time here. I like to move around the Strip too much. The pool area was BRIGHT white, blinding almost. We decided to stop and have a beer at the beer garden. It’s a nice area out there but pretty boring. (That was a K-9 dog at the monorail station with the sunglasses on.)
    20140825_115417.jpg 20140825_121123.jpg 20140825_121901.jpg 20140825_125035.jpg
    Walk outside to the SDX stop and head downtown. Pick up a large Dunkin Donuts iced coffee (the best!!! And I don’t have any near me at home) and head over to Chicago Brewing Co at Four Queens. We hang out with Bob the rest of the afternoon playing VP, drinking beer, and my husband has a couple cigars. He has also been drinking faster than I have, so I decide some Jag Bombs would be a good idea. When will I learn that Jag Bombs are never a good idea?!?!

We walk down to Banger Brewing. We had reservations for the “tour” and I called to cancel them earlier because we have been drinking and the last thing we want to do is listen to people talk. We still wanted to go check out the beers. We decide to split the sampler, it was 9 beers. The only one I really liked was the El Jefe, which is weird because normally I hate Hefeweizens. We need some food at this point but we won’t really feel like moving. Security guy at Banger suggest we get some pizza from Pizza Rock and we can bring it back. I tell my husband to stay here and I will go get the pizza. 2 slices were about $6 (BOGO coupon from LVA). We both say it is completely overrated. Go play at the D for a bit, then stop back at Four Queens to cash out my points for the year, in case I don’t make it back downtown in October.
    20140825_192802.jpg 20140825_194136.jpg
    We hop on the SDX and my husband says he wants to go to Lake of Dreams at Wynn. It is one of his favorite spots in Vegas. We hop off the bus and go see Popeye on the way. I am still confused about this. The artist said the statue was worth $25 million after he made it. It goes to auction. Steve Wynn is the only bidder and “wins” it at $28.2 million. Does he not understand how auctions work? LOL We say we are going to stay for 1 drink and then go gamble some more. We stayed a bit longer than we had planned….
    20140825_210558.jpg 20140825_221535.jpg 20140825_231302.jpg
    We eventually stumble back to Mirage and are too drunk and tired to play anything. We crash in bed.

6. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TUESDAY AUGUST 26th –
    I am not going to lie. Every morning in Vegas is harder than the one before. I get up before my husband again and check my TR and MLife accounts. My FreePlay is showing in my MLife account and shows as redeemed in MyVegas. That is half the battle. I check my husband’s account and his is still a no-go. I go downstairs to use my FreePlay. I put it into a $1 VP machine (8/6 JOB). I do not win 1 hand in 5. I pull out $20 of my Point Play. Then another $20 in Point Play. I think I won 1 hand that entire time. I move around to some 3 reel $1 slot machines and get a mimosa from the server (worst one I’ve ever had by the way). I lost $165 in that 25 minutes, but hey, I got that “free” mimosa! I just need to get out of the Mirage, have had no luck here since I arrived.

Go upstairs to get my husband and he has gotten up and ready. We go down to the Mlife desk once again and this time are able to redeem his FreePlay. This agent also seemed hesitant to let it go through, but he did get it. He went over to a machine he liked and his FreePlay was gone in about 30 seconds. I say again that we need to get out of this building now. We dropped our bags with the bell desk and walked down towards PH to eat at BurGR. We stopped and had a drink at Margaritaville which as usual, turned into 2. Paid for drinks with RCs, cash tip.

Then we got to BurGR. We are seated at one of those tables where one side is the long booth with all of the 2 seater tables against it. My husband says his chair is the most uncomfortable chair he’s ever sat in and I say the booth is too short for the table and I feel like I am 4 inches tall. The waiter comes back and we ask to be seated at the bar. I think this is the only time I’ve ever asked to be reseated in a restaurant in my life. We both get the American Burger and we split the onion rings. I think the burger is just okay. I think the bun sucks and the butter lettuce makes the bun slide off, even though I cut it in half. My husband thought it was really good. Service was good at the bar but it seems like they have way to much work to make all the drinks and beer for the restaurant and have customers as well. The beer selection is pretty weak. Paid in full with RCs, cash tip.
    20140826_124235.jpg 20140826_124239.jpg
    We play for the next 5 or so hours at PH. I am hitting like crazy on the same machine. Made friends with a guy playing in the same bank of machines as us, a local who works at PBR Rock Bar. We go from beers to many shots and some more beers. We have a great server and she is getting $10 every round and she’s back every 15 minutes. We were all having a good time, even though I’m the only one winning. Then there was a couple behind me that were hitting on their machines too. Fun times.
    20140826_134102.jpg 20140826_134207.jpg 20140826_140307.jpg 20140826_141543.jpg 20140826_142426.jpg 20140826_144602.jpg 20140826_145137.jpg
    Then I get a call from our vet, where our dogs are boarded. Our 5 year old Yorkie (she’s 3 pounds soaking wet) had a seizure but she seems to be fine now. She’s had no history of any health problems, much less a seizure disorder, so we don’t start panicking. Not even 30 minutes later, I get a call from my ex-husband (and still one of my best friends and the commish of our FF league) saying he was in the hospital after having a heart attack, 100% blockage, and had to have a stent put in. Total fucking buzz kill. I tell my husband and we decide that clearly these are signs I just need to walk away now, my mind wouldn’t be in it, so it just wouldn’t be fun. We cash out and head back to Mirage. (These TITOs that my husband was holding for my photos contain about $150 of my own money in there. Helped get back a little bit of the bankroll on the last day, though.)

We stop and have a drink at Rhumbar and this will be my last time here too. The place is pretty dead, it is a Tuesday night at 9pm. There are people at every 3rd table. The hostess seats another couple on the couch opposite us, but in the same square as us. (You’ll know what I mean if you’ve sat outside there.) We were like WTF and the couple kinda was too. Not because we were all rude fucks, but because there were lots of open squares. Okay, whatever. That sealed the deal for us not staying for a 2nd round.

We have our bags retrieved and take a cab to the airport. We are on the redeye home. (We used to always keep the room for another night when taking the redeye home, but the last 3-4 times we never used the room for anything other than bag storage. So I stopped reserving it.) About 20 minutes later, we are at the gate. First Class, seats 3C and D. I always seem to sit in 1-3A so this is a different perspective of seeing the Strip at night while in the air. My husband sleeps the entire flight. I can’t sleep so I watch “The Other Woman” in the seatback with my ear buds. We arrive on time and my husband goes to get the car while I go to baggage claim to wait for our bags. He picks me up and we get home 30 minutes later. Now the final hangover has set in but at least we are home now.
    20140827_011346.jpg 20140827_011354.jpg 20140827_011648.jpg

P.S. Don't forget.........
    20140826_220743.jpg
    LOL!!!

Next trip is in October…. :)

7. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, that took longer than I thought it would. There has got to be an easier way than to choose and upload one photo at a time and make sure it is going in the correct spot. I have a new respect for those that can manage live TRs! This took me 3 weeks to complete and I still messed up a few times. LOL

8. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love your writing style and LOVED the report!! Thanks for posting!

What is the name of the machine that you hit on so well?

9. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the TR....glad you got a bit of redemption from PH. Sounds like you had a great time til the calls came in, hope the pooch and ex are ok :)

10. Mayoman

Mayoman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR.

11. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love reading your reports. Still laughing at telling your husband to get the fuck up and stop being a baby.

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed the report and the pictures!
    Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

13. Xavier Cage

Xavier Cage Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report! It sounds like you had a very productive trip. I'm still debating whether I should check out BurGR. Sorry about the bad news on your last night.

14. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your report, thanks for sharing!

15. Sissyboy_Deuce

Sissyboy_Deuce Poker Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bears! Loved this report!!! You have a great way of writing, thanks for posting.

16. CCaroleann

CCaroleann Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for taking the time. I loved your trip report.

We've also gotten a room credit from CET in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and Tunica for room keys that did not work. Must be their SOP.

Did you happen to take any photos of your room at Harrahs? If so I'd love to see them. We are considering stay there in October due to the location, but I've not heard good things about the rooms.

Funny what you said about the Love show. We saw it also and really enjoyed it. I was thinking to myself the whole time that this would be so cool if I was high. LOL

Thanks again for sharing and the photos.

17. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the TR. I really enjoy the way you write.

18. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was AZTEC something or other. There are several variations of these machines. They are $1.50 max bet and super bright, shiny, pretty rainbow lights, and loud. LOL The other variations are Sun & Moon, something Leopard, and a few others. This bank of machines we were playing at was in front of Yolo's at PH. The Mirage also had them in a bank when you are coming through the south side doors and keep walking straight (instead of following the path), they are in the middle there. (Like that helps, but it is a general direction. LOL)

It's funny because my husband was there the next weekend and went back to those machines and he got killed. LOL It is fun when you get a bunch of free spins because they take foreverrrrrr.

19. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the super sweet feedback! Makes it worth it. :wave:

20. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will PM you and I have a bunch I can email you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.