1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

southwest mobile boarding pass not available?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by joshrocker, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping to use Southwest's mobile boarding pass for my trip. I checked in on my phone and it said I would still be required to have a paper boarding pass? As far as i'm aware this is supposed to be available for all airports now. Anyone else had this occur?

I'm curious now about the return from Las Vegas. I have a printer here at home so it's not really a big deal (for the departure) but I was excited about the fact that i wouldn't need to worry about obtaining a boarding pass in Las Vegas.

I'm flying out of Lambert if anyone has any first hand experience they'd like to share.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reservation was booked normally using Southwest's website. The only other thing I could think I could come up with is they have us scheduled on an AirTran flight? We booked one of their normally scheduled non stop routes out of St. Louis so I doubt it but it was the only other possible scenario I could come up with.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In June, at McCarran, we were required to print a boarding pass at the kiosks along the windows, before they would let us even get in the line and we were checking luggage.

5. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like this is a half baked plan by Southwest. We're carrying on and won't be checking any bags but this doesn't sound like something I can actually plan on using.

Oh well, back to my normally scheduled plan of killing trees.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't mean to confuse. We don't have fancy phones, just that they wouldn't let us get in line until we printed the boarding passes along the window kiosks.

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't bother to ask, but I think the guy behind us in line used his phone last week when we flew from KC. It could be a hassle for the TSA people to check your boarding pass info via phone. But TSA at Lambert is one of the simplest jobs ever. Along with KC too as I recently learned.

Good luck on your trip!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the excitement about not printing a boarding pass? Am I missing something?

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saves a millionth of a tree, maybe some energy too. Gives you something else to use your ~$500 smartphone for. I got my first one 52 weeks ago today. I use it way more than I thought I would. I'm making this post from my laptop though...lol

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  10. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, gotcha! The mobile app is supposed to take place of the paper ticket.

I appreciate it!

It's just simpler. No need to worry about printing anything. Especially at your destination where you may not have access to a printer or you have to pay a fee to access one. You can alway print these directly at the airport but it's just something else you have to wait in line for.
    I'm not an overly aggressive environmental guy (we do a little recycling ect) but boarding passes are also a waste of paper.

11. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know you were being sarcastic but just think about how many passes are printed daily across the country. That millionth of a tree turns into several trees quite quickly.

I won't lie either. I'm kind a tech nerd and seeing new and creative ways to use my phone for real world use is cool to me. Especially for something simple like this that should make something easier and quicker. Don't mind me though, I'm the guy who geeked out last week at the thought of using the new apple watch to start paying for things.

12. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The boarding pass apps are quick and convenient - I've used them on all my SWA flights this year. Also, leaving Vegas on an early morning Allegiant flight in May, check-in lines were horrendously long. I started panicking because they didn't have kiosks; everybody had to work their way to the check-in counter, even those of us with no luggage. No way I could have made my flight until my tech nerd son suggested the Allegiant app....

13. Texas Pete

Texas Pete Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used my SWA phone app to obtain my boarding passes on my last 4 SWA flights. No problems with checking in or with TSA. These were not flights to LAS, but I am going there next month and plan to use my phone for my boarding pass. I'll report back if there are problems.

14. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In July, I used the SWA phone app for my boarding pass on my way home from LAS and had no issues..

15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe this was just a temp glitch on their side or something? I'll see when I'm checking in for my return flight in Vegas. I'll try to remember to report back if I had any trouble.

16. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew to LAS from IND in June on SWA. I had my boarding pass printed out, but my friend that was going was going to use his phone. SWA accepted his phone, but printed one out for him anyway and said that the TSA was updating their system so there could potentially be a problem with their scanners scanning the mobile pass. It didn't make since to me since either way, it's scanning the bar code. Anyway, that's what he was told. I guess it could be a similar situation for you.

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if has to do with it being Airtran. Also, was mobile boarding pass rolled to every single airport? I wasn't sure it had been.

18. kinvegas

kinvegas Newbie

I fly southwest all the time and use phone to board. I have never had a problem even with pre check

19. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were you assigned an exit seat? I used Allegiants mobile boarding last March and on the flight there had no problems, super quick and easy. On the return flight though I booked myself an exit seat and it let me check in, but I still had to go to the desk so they could make sure I was able to sit in an exit seat.

20. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.