1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone eat @ Bally's Sterling Buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by MGinCO, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it really worth $90 ?????

2. techie223

techie223 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cost is mainly because of the inclusion of bottomless glasses of Perrier Jouet champagne, which makes it worth it in my opinion. There is also caviar and lobster tails and some other higher end items, so the food selection is quite good as well. For comparison, the Jasmine Brunch at Bellagio is less expensive, but if you add one of the champagne options with a comparable quality to Perrier Jouet, it is more expensive. And I didn't enjoy it as much. (The view of the fountains was killer, though.)

I haven't been to the new version (if you didn't know, BLT Steak took over the Bally's Steakhouse, but brought back the Sterling Brunch because it was so popular), but it has received some mixed reviews, mainly due to the reconfiguration of the service areas and because you need to order the caviar from the server now rather than help yourself. I've made a reservation for my September trip to check it out.

3. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've never tried it since the value is not there for us....not champagne drinkers or caviar eaters....lol. But have friends who said the quality makes it worth it.....a great dining experience. They said you really need to pace yourself and take 3-4 hours to really enjoy.

4. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took my youngest son and we both loved it. It is a splurge for me since I am a retired teacher. They also had Filet Mignon and Rack of Lamb. Crab legs, oysters etc. I wish I was younger and I would probably do it once a year. The prep for the Lobster tails was not the best, they were roasted and that made them tough.

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went December 2012. The champagne they serve is Perrier Jouet which retails for $50/bottle. So, that is a huge part of it, since most buffets serve sparkling wine rather than actual champagne. They have caviar, sushi, lobster, filets, crab of some sort, a few other mains, and many sides. They had a great tortellini with a fantastic arrabbiata sauce (tasted like Rao's but not sure) when we were there. I can't remember what else. They also had big and fantastic chocolate covered strawberries. That was the only dessert I had, but I am sure they had others.

Our glasses were never empty, the service was fantastic (restaurant service, not buffet service) and I am certain we drank at least 3 bottles of champagne between the 2 of us. Oh and they take reservations. We had a reservation for opening time. They slowly roll people in, but they offered made-to-order bloody marys while we were waiting. It only took 15-20 minutes for us to be seated.

We enjoyed it and would go again. I just have a few other brunches left to try first before we start repeating.

6. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to ask is this post after they re-opened ??? Because we really enjoyed 3 years ago and would like to go back if it's close to the same. We did Jasmine's and it's not as good as the Sterling Brunch by any means.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.

8. sikotyk

sikotyk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been 3-5 times, as a guy that consumes lots alcohol I do get my monies worth. Without the great champagne I would pass unless your a lamb, lobster or caviar monster.

9. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like that last 11 words.. LOL

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And here I thought everyone was a lamb, lobster caviar monster after a few adult beverages........... :)

11. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope it is just as good as before. I have a reservation for September 13. Looking forward to lobster and champagne.

12. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

Stayed the weekend at Ballys but did not try it. As some others, too expensive. I did ask and they have the Sterling brunch on Saturday also.

13. sikotyk

sikotyk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will do it this coming weekend as it's been a few years.

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please do, and also how much it cost now.

15. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We made reservations for the end of the month while we are there. We went before right before it closed for renovation so I'm curious to see how its changed!!

16. avp123

avp123 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at Bally's, might have to try it.

17. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Sterling buffet standard price is now $90.00. With your Total Rewards card you get $5 off. I plan to charge with my Total Rewards credit card, so that's another 5% off. Still expensive, hope it is worth it. I went once several years ago and it was great.

18. techie223

techie223 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to the Sterling Brunch yesterday. This was our 3rd time, 1st since the switch to BLT Steak.

Obviously, the look of the space has changed considerably. I missed the "old Vegas" look of Bally's Steakhouse. Many of the servers previously worked worked at the old steakhouse, and the service was still very good with the Perrier Jouet poured very frequently.

I think the food (at least the items I tried) was of the same high quality as previously. There is just one long serving area now, rather than the side room and U-shaped hot food area. This means that there are not as many items to select from as far as breads, fruit, breakfast items and desserts go. No more crepes. But there were high end items: jumbo shrimp, lobster tails, crab legs, filet mignon, creamed spinach, truffled mashed potatoes, made-to-order omelets, etc.

One big change is that there are many items that must be ordered from the kitchen. I guess to an extent this is to cut down on people gorging on caviar, but many of the items are prepared this way to ensure freshness: 3 types of eggs benedict, caesar salad, lobster bisque, tuna tartare. One of the highlights is the signature BLT Steak popovers. They're very good.

Overall, although I missed the ambiance of Bally's Steakhouse, I still think the quality is there for the price, and will return.

19. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good review, thanks.
    Now I wonder without comparing to the old steakhouse how is BLT as a steakhouse?

20. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've not eaten there since the switch but I used to think it was outstanding. However, I do think the quality of food is better at the Jazz Brunch at Wynn. I'll be dining there a week from Sunday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.