1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Payless

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Troy M, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone used them and what is the low down. Have always used Alamo in the past but way too expensive or I am just Cheap.
    I do like there Kiosk though and wondering if Payless has something similar. Any help would be appreciated. And by the way Hi All.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used them a number of years ago. From what I recall their desk was in the terminal but did not have an express rental option through their "Perks" club, just wait in line which took 5-10 minutes mid afternoon. I also recall that they tried to high pressure the additional insurance coverage (I quickly dismissed their efforts with a very firm but businesslike response). I cannot recall the vehicle but did not have any issues. Since they pushed coverage so hard I was concerned about a potential petty damage claim so I did highlight all of the minor scratches, dings, etc on their rental form as well as took pictures of the vehicle. No challenge when returning though.

Given relatively similar rates I would go with a competitor that had an express rental feature. Coincidentially, I just rented a car from Payless yesterday for Dec 5-10 because they were $60 less than everyone else that has vehicles at the main terminal. I do expect to cancel and switch to Dollar or others if they can get reasonably close in cost. My best luck at cheap rates usually happen 1 to 2 months out from renting. Nonetheless, I book the best deal I can find as soon as I book my flight and check every week or two for cheaper options.

3. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked a full size through Payless yesterday for $90 for 4 days. Did the prepay for the rate. Looked at some reviews and they are not so good. Sounds like they try and strong arm you into getting their coverage (most rental places do). My auto insurance and credit card will cover any car I rent, so will have to do like DrRobt did. the reviews also talked about them adding on roadside service with out asking, I have AAA so that's covered. Best thing to do is look over the rental agreement real good before signing and take photos of the car. I will post a review when we get back.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I forgot about their ridiculous attempt to charge for roadside assistance. I had it removed as well. If any rental company's product is defective, it is their responsibility to remedy the situation immediately and is an inherent cost of business. I have rented hundreds of cars for business and pleasure over the years and have never seen this charge before. I just said an emphatic NO after I saw it included in the rental agreement and that was that, they took it out. I'm sure that they take advantage of many unsuspecting customers though. :nono:

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from Payless before. IMHO, be prepared for a relatively long line at the checkout counter, make sure that you don't have to be somewhere because the process won't go any faster no matter what.

Make sure you bring a copy of your reservation, especially the dollar amount. At the desk, when you get your receipt, check it with a fine toothed comb, if it isn't exactly the same amount that you have on your reservation, go through it, usually you will find a roadside assistance or some lockout fee included. Take your time to go through your receipt to make sure that you aren't charged these "bogus" fees. I have had the clerk tell me that the fee was required or standard, or that they had to recalculate the charges (fool me once), ask to see a manager (there aren't any) or show them your receipt and tell them that there is no clause for a "required" fee. Sometimes if you put the clerk on the spot he/she will know that you are seasoned and will stop the scam. If the clerk is still adamant about the fee, then pay it but contest it with your cc company after you get home (I've did that once).

When you get out to the area with the rental cars, don't expect to change your car if you don't like it, usually there is a limited (most times no) selection of cars, unless you want to wait you are probably stuck with the car they assign you. You may have to wait anyway for your car to be prepped, I saw one couple who reserved and paid for a large car, they had to wait an additional 45 minutes for their car because it wasn't ready.

I think if you are patient and savvy enough then you should be able to get through the payless lines to get your car without much frustration. I think it also depends on the clerks, some are "go getters" who try to nickel and dime you (they probably get a commission cut off the extra fees) but other times I had a smooth process with no bogus charges or problems.

Some people don't want the hassle and rent from the other big chains but payless normally has the cheap rates so many will put up with the hassles to save a hundred bucks or more on their rentals.

btw, there is no fast pass or kiosk or quick way to avoid the lines at the counter at Payless.

6. Troy M

Troy M Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks everyone for your input and now and I have some decision to make Sept 28th can't get here soon enough.

7. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Payless.........WAITMORE should be the real name of this high pressure car rental place. I think their reps were former time share salesmen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.