1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hotel added fees, not just in Vegas.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am concerned about the comment on mandatory tips. I can see that backfiring on the hotel as I can see folks refusing to tip servers in on site bars and restaurants because of it. That's one that will generate the most negative publicity.

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We booked a hotel in Nassau last year - just to get the 2 tickets to Atlantis that came with the room. The cost of the room was cheaper than 2 tickets to the waterpark - and the room comes with 2 tickets to ALL of Atlantis, including the waterpark. These were the charges for that room.

Energy surcharge: 15.95 per person per night. Housekeeping gratuities: 5.00 per person per night These are additional charges not included in nightly estimated total and must be paid directly at the hotel.

What's really kind of ironic is that from what I read, many of the people just check-in and check-out - never set foot in the room - so I imagine they are using quite of bit of energy - not to mention how messy they are leaving the room :)

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nickel and diming is the way to go now for companies.

5. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the "fees" are mandatory, it should be mandatory that they are shown as the price because that's what they are.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I frequently use Priceline and Hotwire to book rooms so my biggest beef is that many of these fees are not disclosed until after I commit to a non-cancellable purchase. I think its only going to get worse before it gets better.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If fees were optional it'd be one thing but don't try to trick me by advertising a lower price only to get pinged later. Just give me the all-in price and based on that i will decide if I want to purchase your goods or services.

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont mind seeing hotels make a profit. Think of the alternative. less profit means less services, less maint, less renovations.

if you like your Vegas hotels like the old stardust then thats what happens when they dont make a profit.

We are still getting a great deal for the money.

I dont see its trickery. i can and do read before commiting to pay.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at an Embassy Suites over the weekend. No free wi-fi. That is asinine. Every podunk Motel Hell along the interstate has no-line-item-charge wi-fi.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Warwick Hotel, downtown Seattle. Free in the lobby, but $10 in the room per day.

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy revenue generators for the hotels and airlines.

I don't mind paying resort fees that are reasonable or at properties that I would expect to charge them (ex. properties on the Strip, resorts at the beach, etc.). However, what ticks me off is when a property charges $50+ in daily resort fees or when a downtown property charges a resort fee as well (ex. Hyatt Regency Orlando). Fortunately, I have hotel status with Starwood and Hyatt so I'm able to get the internet charges waived at most of the hotels I stay at.

12. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Internet charges are usually at 4*/5* hotels. You don't see 5* hotels comping internet charges that often... It's usually the 1*-3* motels/hotels that provide free internet access, regardless of rate/status.

When I was younger, I never understood why the more expensive properties would do this considering they were already charging an arm and a leg for the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.