1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hi from Perth, Western Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by blackjacknz, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1st time in Vegas back in january this year (27 Jan - 1 feb). Loved it so much were booked to return next year 13 Feb - 27 Feb so we have a full 2 weeks this time:beer:

Stayed at the Bellagio in a suite last time (got a great price :))...but this time were looking to go a bit cheaper...we liked the look of the Monte Carlo...but will wait for some of the sales/specials to pop up.

Were flying back to Perth on 4th March...so will head back to LA for a few days before flying out.

Wish i'd found this forum before our last trip!

Cheers
    Steve

2. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board Steve!

A two week trip is a long time in Vegas, look to split that between at least a couple properties. Maybe a couple days downtown if you like. And a couple off strip (Red Rock, The M or Southpoint) to recover at the end of your stay. Downtown and off strip are easier on your wallet also.

TomTWI

3. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board Steve! Good luck on planning your next trip & hope you find some really good deals :)

4. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome! I watch Big Brother Australia, so that makes me feel closer to you (weird, I know). Glad to have you here :)

5. VegasCandy72

VegasCandy72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome on board :peace:

So you also got infected with the Vegas virus "one time vegas - always vegas " :beer:

You can'd do anything wrong, from my point of view, if you bood Monte Carlo!

All the best for the planing!
    Moni

6. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers!

We only had 5 days in Jan this year in Vegas...and ran out of time to see everything we wanted....so seeing as how its a long way to come (about 20 hours flying in total) we want to fit in everything this time. The 2 weeks should give us time to head out to the Grand Caynon shouldnt it? Maybe an overnighter.

Im keeping an eye on a couple of the vegas hotel discount sites...waiting for a good deal to come up. Last time we had a Bellagio Suite for $200 per night...when we asked to stay an extra night the rate went up to $750 p/n! I suppose it was Superbowl weekend:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip TomTWI we might look at splitting up the hotels...to try something different.

Thanks sybgal..im sure we'll find a great deal :)

Happily, dont judge us by big bro...were not all that bad...lol

VegasCandy72, thanks...thats the one the wife liked...and also the fact it had a food court in it....trying to find some simple food in/around the Bellagio that didnt take 30 mins to walk to was a mission.

7. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    booked a couple of hotel... Stratosphere for 9 nights and Excalibur for 5 nights ...$1,000 incl tax/resort fees. Just wanted to at least have something booked...then will wait for any specials that come up in the next few months.

Still have 8 months to go.....but have a small trip to Lombok, Indonesia in August to keep us entertained. Thats only a short 3.5 hour flight from here...rather than the 20 hours flying it takes to get to Vegas!

Attached Files:

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board blackjacknz!

You'll have enough time during a two week trip to hit the Grand Canyon, but don't go unless you are OK with 5 to -10 degrees Celsius with snow. The South Rim is still open during this time, and it will be far less crowded during this time of year. There is lodging open on the grounds (much cheaper than during the summer) and I suggest staying overnight to give you a solid first day and decent second day onsite before heading back to Vegas. May or September are the best times to hit the canyon, IMO, due to the fact you get decent weather, a good amount of sunlight and the crowds are not as bad. April and October are OK for the South Rim (where most people go). I like the North Rim which is more remote though not hard to get to from Vegas or Zion/Bryce NPs, but the North Rim is closed during the winter.

I agree I would split the trip to 2 or 3 hotel stays over the course of 10-14 days. You'll save money if you hit the Canyon over the weekend, skipping the expensive Saturday night stay. Hotels.com has decent deals if you don't play for comps, and you can also save via Priceline. Research the hotels in each star rating group before bidding (there are websites that list all the hotels for each site), and VMB posters will give good advice if you note the location and price range you are looking for in a hotel. Book with a fully refundable / reservation you can cancel (read the fine print before booking) unless you get a great 50% off rate bidding on hotels.com or priceline.com.

9. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Viva!

We have 13 - 27 feb in Vegas...then dont fly our of LAX till 4th March, so were planning on leaving Las Vegas on the 27th and heading to the Grand Canyon for an overnighter..then heading back possibly to San Diego for a couple of nights...then back to LA for just the night before our flight. We had 5 nights in LA in Feb this year (1st time in the US)..so looking to see some more of the east coast before we head home. We might even pop over into Mexico for a day trip :)

As i said before...were off to Lombok, Indonesia in about 6 weeks...2nd time there...nice relaxed holiday. But im still working on our Vegas plans every day :) Cant wait to get back. Even though we have booked the 2 hotels (Stratosphere & Excalibur) for the 14 days....im looking to book something a bit nicer as we get closer and the specials pop up....we got spoilt last time having a Bellagio Suite :)

10. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an update :)

We've adjusted our flights to LA..so we now are arriving on Monday 9th Feb..so heading to San Francisco for a few days then flying to Vegas on Thursday night for a full 15 nights in Vegas :)

Booked The Stratosphere from 12Th Feb - 22 Feb and then got an amazing deal for Planet Hollywood for the last 5 nights 22 Feb - 27 Feb for under $200 AUD !

Just have to sort out our 5 days after Vegas before we fly back home with a 2 day stop over in Hong Kong as well.

11. NCISfan

NCISfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board mate. I have a cousin who lives in Perth, Western Australia. He says its a wonderful place to live.

12. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! Yes...its a great place to live...normally dry and hot like Vegas :beer:

13. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just found out that our timing for Vegas was perfect as the 2015 Rugby 7's World Series in on the weekend we arrive :drunk:

Seeing as how im originally from New Zealand and my wife is Australian......its a no brainer....tickets booked!!!

14. FrenchMan

FrenchMan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board! Hey aren't we neighbours" ? lol

15. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks French!

Neighbours?? ya lost me on that one mate:confused2:

16. blackjacknz

blackjacknz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well accommodation is all sorted in the US....after a few changes...

We have 4 nights in San Francisco before flying to Vegas then we start with 8 nights at The Signature (1Br Balcony) then off to the El Tovar for 2 nights at the Grand Canyon...then back to Vegas for 5 nights at Planet Hollywood. Then we fly out again to Seattle for 4 nights...then back to LA to fly home (with a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong).

Only 125 days till our holiday starts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.