1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MLIFE slot machine points -- some give more than others??

Discussion in 'Comps' started by boboswisher, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boboswisher

boboswisher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was at Mirage a couple of months ago I saw where a lot of the slots I was playing (OZ, Monopoly, LOTRs) had signs on them that said something about giving less points than the older, more classic type of slots on the floor. What's this about, and why? And if I'm looking to get from peal to gold on my next trip, does this mean that I should more or less avoid playing these machines? Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find a thread on it anywhere.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, some machines give more points than others.
    (And yes, has been covered before many times)

Most of the slot clubs do this (big ones too, like Total Rewards and Club Grazie), MLife is just the only one being transparent about it and not hiding it or burying details in fine print.

The reason why: they are sharing revenue with the slot manufacturer on certain machines... they make less money off those machines so they give out less comps on those machines.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure all machines at CET give 1 point for every $5 coin in.

Sure, MGM has to share revenue, etc. But, why not just change the payback percent to make up for that vs. pissing off customers with some slick, misunderstood points thing?

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well...they may have it at the manufacturer minimum to begin with. From the info I see, most manufacturers are setting the minimum for their games (penny slots) close to 85%. Even though Nevada law lets them go lower than that, 85% is probably the lowest the market can really bare.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do: you get 1 Tier Credit for each $5 through on slots and you get 1 Rewards Credit for each 1 Tier Credit earned... Rewards Credits are the "comp yourself" part of it all with Total Rewards (1RC = $0.01 you can spend) and the "specialty slots" give out no or very limited bonus Rewards Credits.

Well, lets see: if you run $100 through a regular slot machine you would get 33 cents in Free Play and 33 cents in Express Comps....
    If you run $100 through a specialty slot machine you would get only 10 cents in Free Play and 10 cents in Express Comps...

So with the specialty slots you get 46 cents less on each $100 played through.

Under your suggestion if they give the same in Express Comps and Free Play but then drop the machine's payback by 5% lets see how the math looks:
    If you run $100 through a specialty slot machine you would get 33 cents in Free Play and 33 cents in Express Comps, but then can expect to lose an extra $5.00 to the payback over the long run...

Hmm... Call me whacky, but that sounds like it is much worse for player than the method they are using now.

Also there is a big problem with that:

If they are doing a 60/40 revenue share with a slot maker on a machine with a current 90% payback they can't just have the payback lowered by 6% to recoup the 6% they are giving the manufacturer because the manufacturer would get 60% of that new/modified payback... in order to bump their 40% of the revenue share up to where they would be if they got the whole 100% of the payback they would actually have to lower the payback of the machine by an additional 15% - all the way down to 75% payback, a 25% house edge... basically the legal minimum in the state of Nevada. If a machine had more than a 10% house edge there isn't a legal level of payback that they could lower the machine to in order to recoup what they are giving up.

6. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you see the SPECIALTY GAME sign on the machine, you are only getting 1 point per $10 instead of 1 pt per $3 for the "basic" machines. Same accrual as video poker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.