1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chicken safety

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chicken is a staple in our house and we eat a lot. I'm not a hand wringer worrier, but some of this is scary stuff and to now allow self inspections by employees of the company. I guess the foxes will be guarding the hen house.

If you buy your chicken from the supermarket, here are a few things about its life that might make you less eager to eat it. As a chick, your chicken's beak was cut off so that it wouldn't attack other chickens in the overcrowded cage in which it was raised. Your chicken was fed so much grain so quickly – supplemented with antibiotics – that, by the time it was ready for slaughter at the age of five weeks, its breasts were swollen and disproportionately large, rendering it unable to walk. Once your chicken was slaughtered, it was tossed into a chlorinated bath or doused with other industrial-grade chemicals so that your chicken would reach you "clean"

http://www.alternet.org/food/why-fdas-latest-move-chicken-inspection-literally-full-sht?page=0%2C0

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a hooker I once knew.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why are we so worried about chicken safety? Isn’t the chicken dead?

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate undercooked chicken once(my own fault), never, ever again.:vomit:

5. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is dead but look at what happened to it when it was living, I think this could affect the person eating it if I am not mistaken.
    Wow!
    Watch Food Matters, Gerson Miracle, Forks over Knives, Food Inc. What's on your plate, Fresh, Food Fight, and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bad. Poor subject title.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I eat chicken from the supermarket a couple times each day.

Its cheap and nutritious.

Feel free to sooth your guilt and pay more for it.

i will get it on sale whenever I can.

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I'm pretty sure thecarve was just joking around with the wording.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The consumption chain is exploitative and cruel and bloody, be it humanity's modern version or what Mother Nature does. When a cougar severs the spine of a deer and proceeds to eat it while the sucker is still alive ... ? The coyotes in the canyon last night that literally tore something apart ...?

There are those who are philosophically inclined to say we should be more advanced than we are, that perhaps we shouldn't even see our animal brethren as food stuffs. Others think it's just a bird, who cares? Most are in the middle. We like to think our part in the supply chain is somehow accomplished with a lack of cruelty or suffering or what not; most of the time we have no clue of the reality.

My beef with a good bit of the commercial stream is how foodstuffs have been dumbed down. We've Chicken McNuggeted so much in the name of uniformity and cost and blandness and ease. That's why heirloom and heritage strains and breeds are doing well. I mean, Wilbur still dies getting to my plate, but a real turkey vs. that bland, mealy, white, corpulent shit that Corporate Food-dom has somehow convinced us is good -- keep the latter, tyvm.

Everything comes down to a tradeoff between cost and value, of course. Some might add an ethical component for the food chain.

10. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

OOPS.

11. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just wish they would plump up the thighs instead of the breasts. White meat sucks!

No reason to go home yet.
  12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 :thumbsup:

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I SO agree... figures white meat would be healthier!

14. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that article is factually incorrect

chickens raised for meat are able to walk the entire time they are alive if they are not walking while in the chicken house they are either dead or dying and will be culled within an hour or so of not walking

chicken house owners walk their houses at least 3 times a day if not more for just such a purpose

and there is nothing wrong with a chlorine wash especially since chlorine is in the municipal water that the vast majority of people in the developed world drink and a bleach wash is highly recommended for produce bought outside of the USA, most of Europe and Japan and the effects of failing to follow that recommendation will be much less pleasing

and pretty much all chemicals are "industrial grade" at some point even the ones that go into medicines, "healthy" foods and soaps and washes so trying to make them sound evil by calling them "industrial grade" is just silly......unless you prefer that your sanitation is done with chemicals that are so diluted as to not function properly

the people of the USA and of the vast majority of the world are living longer, more healthy and active lives than ever before and that is while many are fat or even obese because of the abundance of cheap and uncontaminated foods and the "chemicals" ect in those foods have nothing to do with the obesity it is the massive over consumption and the corresponding lack of exercise or even general movement

as for heritage breeds and the like unfortunately those take a dramatically different method of preparation and cooking that many are no longer knowledgeable of or capable of or willing to do and so when many that are not prepared get a hold of those types of animals they end up dissatisfied and put off by them especially at the price point offered

but I agree that if properly prepared you will have a much more enjoyable meal overall compared to "off the shelf" meats

overall there is an abundance of food in the USA and even more options and I will volunteer to not tell others what to eat or how to eat if they are willing to do the same especially when I have the teeth and digestive system that is specifically designed to consume meat and specifically not designed to forage, chew forage or digest forage and cellulose, but instead designed to consume other things that can forage and convert forage to energy and muscle mass that I have the ability to consume and digest and convert to energy and muscle mass and even fat

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    -1. I much prefer white meat. :peace:

I eat a ton of chicken but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the chicken we get in the States. The chicken you get elsewhere (especially in S. America) tastes better since the chicken wasn't given a ton of chemicals...

16. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to go with what @SOMEONE said, it makes me feel a lot better than what @Joe said. I read a couple books on going a little more animal product free in my diet while on vacation last month. I have cut down to one serving per day of chicken or fish, no beef or pork at all. It is because of the way the animals are raised and what I believe is unnatural. I am not on a soap box about animal rights, I am just super concerned about my own health. I have a ton of people I know with various forms of cancer who are on in their 30s or 40s. It is scary stuff, not sure of the cause, but seems to make sense to eat a bit more natural.

17. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Favorite Animal

Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken."
    She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed.

My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.

I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much.

I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was.
    I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.

I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.

Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most. I told her, "Colonel Sanders."

Guess where I am now...

18. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I like thigh meat better too but be happy its not in as much demand because that keeps it cheaper.

My only issue with these crazy freak chickens they grow vs natural ones is they lose so much taste. I remember when I lived overseas seeing nothing but small chicken breasts in the stores until I realized that is the normal size for a chicken breast, not the stuff we get here. But it tasted so much better. I'm an awful cook but anytime I cooked chicken over there it tasted so good, I make the same dish here and its a different story. Without any spices or seasoning at all a natural piece of chicken has so much flavor when you cook it, trying cooking up a piece of these freak chickens (especially the breasts) without putting anything on it and it tastes like nothing.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd guess it is more a function of livestock in other countries, and particularly so-called lesser-developed countries, being more like, well, livestock. Why does a mutt look like a mutt? Why do foxes and coyotes and wolves look more like each other than most any three breeds at an AKC event? Because some person isn't trying to keep a chihuahua looking like a sickly rat.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    America's ostrich-in-the-sand obsession with avoiding "fat," while we are w/o a doubt the unhealthiest rich nation around, is reflected in how we've bred what we eat. And we want it uniform, every boneless skinless breast is exactly x.y ounces and perfectly package-able in same-same 4" x 4" shrink-wrap and for sale in bulk at WalCo. We like things, some might say, bland. :peace: We really really like easy above all else. Uniformity in texture, size, taste makes it easier to replicate things over and over and over. It's the mechanization of not just the food chain but consumption.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.