1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit- UGH

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by zamboni, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been on here and posted that I have no qualms with Spirit. 3 roundtrips to Vegas later, 6 total flights- 4 of them delayed. First trip in October, great flight times, they were trying out a new route. Got there and home on time, at a decent time. Arrived early, got home early and non stop. Apparently the new route didn't work out for them, because now its back to arriving in Vegas a little after 11 pm (if you aren't delayed) and red eye back. I don't mind being delayed, I really don't, but delays on a red eye suck. Especially when you have a 2+ hour drive home from the airport. I am done with the saving $150 roundtrip. I will gladly spend that not to have to deal with these guys anymore. Only bright spot to getting in so late is hotel check in is a ghost town, as is airport security on way home. Rant over. :soapbox:

2. Kit39

Kit39 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you 100%. 3 weeks ago Spirit canceled our flight out of Denver to Vegas and told us that it would be 2 or 3 days before they could get us on a flight so we decided to not waste vacation time and we drove the 12 hours. They did refund our money but since we didn't show up to the hotel I got charged for a one night we weren't there. Spirit didn't even offer vouchers for their lack of customer service. Never again will I fly on Sprit.

3. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave up on Spirit a few years ago. It is just not worth the aggravation for the $100 or so that you may save on a flight.

My Longest Trip Ever
  4. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When Spirit works, it is beautiful. I had a great flight out in January where I snagged one of their $39 rates. It left on time and everything went well. The only thing I didn't like was the late departure time of 11:05pm, but to save money it was worth it.

Now I fly American 100% of the time and I get a guaranteed seat and have never had more than a 15 minute delay. I love American.

5. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never, and will never fly Spirit.

I respect myself and my time too much.

6. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here.

Before I knew how awful Spirit was I booked my girl on a flight to the US from Peru after she was visiting her family. This was back in 2008. She is the most carefree traveler in the world so when she started ranting I knew that I'd never step foot on one of their planes. She's 5'1 and bitched about the seats.

Then I read more stories about their service and equipment and none of it is ever good.

I said the other day that I'd rather take Amtrak or hitchhike than fly them...and I am serious.

7. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their planes are actually decent- they are all new Airbuses. Their procedures suck. This past trip on my way home I was delayed because of weather, but on the way out there there was no excuse, the weather nationwide was fine. The trip last month both ways the weather was fine. I think they get bumped around by airports because of who they are. Someone may correct me on this, but if you had Delta and Spirit waiting, I am sure Delta would get the nod first.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm lucky. I had three round trips on Spirit. One out of Philly to LAS with an exit row seat and checked luggage, about $220 round trip. Two other flights out of Atlantic City to Florida. Saved at least $100 on each flight "all in". Flight times were good. Agreed, the seats were tight and they don't recline. Also, my miles disappeared due to lack of activity, they really want you to get their credit card. I would use Spirit again, but I think my threshold is about $100 savings with a good Itineary.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is the one thing I like about Spirit, I always hate the dreaded recline of the seat in front of me

10. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is really awful. I had a credit from them for a previously cancelled ticket that I was able to use for the outbound leg of a trip to Vegas in August so I only had to pay for a one way return (not on Spirit). I had enough of a credit to "upgrade" to one of their bigger seats (so probably about the same legroom as a real airline). So the upside it is free, the downside it is Sprit and it is a connecting flight with a 5 hour layover in Chicago (vs. direct from JFK). I am still monitoring the prices of the outbound flight and considering giving up the free ticket just to avoid going on Spirit. I hate them that much.

11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a relative pissed off with them. She was coming back from Vegas and O'hare had pretty much shut down due to severe storms. They took off anyway even though they knew they wouldn't be able to land in Chicago. They ended up with a long layover in St. Louis. It was pretty irresponsible.

12. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took Spirit once. Never again. Most uncomfortable seat I ever had on an airline. I don't even consider them when booking.

13. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed on the seats. The only reason I ever fly them is that they are the only airline that flies direct from LGA to Myrtle Beach, the flight is only 1:30 or so so it is worth it to get the direct flight.

14. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the link, I used my 140 chars for a nice complaint on Frontier

16. Landshark

Landshark Way into it...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $200 for Spirit vs. over $300 for American and a crappier flight schedule? I'll tolerate Spirit for the 2.5 hours. There are trade-offs in life, and for me, this is one of them. That's over $100 more I'll have in Vegas. Plus, I've always traveled light, so no baggage fees or waiting at a carousel.

17. ace1020

ace1020 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won,t say never because that is a long time but they screwed me around with delays out and back from DTW last time out. Stayed the previous night at airport hotel and checked the website in the morning to see if flight was on time. Says yep come on over so check out and when we arrived at the airport a three hour delay. On return flight I am smart so I call the airline to check status instead of website. Yep on time come on over. This time a four hour delay. AARGH.

18. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use flightaware.com when flying. I've been able to track the specific plane as it completes the flights that are previous to the flight I'm on. I'll follow the plane on-line starting in the AM and can see if any previous flights are being delayed.

Flying Spirit to Vegas out of MSP in the evening I can see the plane is coming from Chicago. If the plane leaves Chicago late, it's pretty clear the flight out of MSP will be delayed. On the incoming flight I can see on the map where the plane is and track it's progress.

This doesn't work for all flights and may be unique to flying Spirit to Vegas out of MSP but having this knowledge makes things much less stressful. Nobody likes starring out a window at a gate waiting for a plane to show up.

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is my problem with them though, the past 4 flights I have used Spirit out of MSP or LAS have been delayed. Only once was due to storms. They had no other explanation why the other 3 were delayed. I flew them last October when they were trying out new flight times, which I got in to Vegas early and left at a decent time (no red eye) I have no idea why they discontinued those flights so quick. What Spirit needs to realize is there are people like me that have a 2+ hour drive from MSP after they land. Delaying the red eye sucks. After my wedding in may I had a really tough time staying awake for my drive home. Last month my flight back was the worst flight I have ever been on turbulence wise. People were actually congratulating and thanking the pilot as they got off it was that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.