1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Clear at McCarran

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by smartone, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CLEAR isn't worth it since you only cut the line, but have to go through the regular screening process. Getting GE/PreCheck is better since it's cheaper and you deal with a lighter screening process (if you get PreCheck on your travel date).

3. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently received my NEXUS card, which typically gets me PreCheck domestically. The perks: shorter lines, you don't have to take liquids or laptops out of your bag, and you get to keep your shoes on. All of these can make the process significantly faster, assuming the line is shorter.

4. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The info is here:

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

Cost me $85 for a two-(2) year approval... they do a background check, fingerprint you, etc. I entered my approval number into my SWA account (I fly them 95% of the time) and now I get the special PreCheck line and process every time.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We applied on-line and last week visited the office. Haven't gotten the letter yet, but went on line and did a status check. We are both approved. Smartone, I think you are mistaken. It is $85 for 5 years, not two.
    Called SWA and added it to our next 4 roundtrip flights.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5? Well that's even BETTER!!! Thanks!!! From what I've read, I just can't imagine what Clear offer that would "enhance" things.

8. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. guys.

9. john1516inny

john1516inny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the pre-ck at LAS is so quick and easy, cuts at least 30 min off my previous time I felt I had to be there. In NY, JFK (jetblue) its great, well worth the $85

10. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last couple times flying out of Vegas, the regular line was sending a ton of people over to the pre-check line. I hope as more people enroll and pay for this, that they will stop doing it. I understand people randomly getting it, but most of them didn't have it (hence the double beep instead of the single beep when they scan your ticket and theirs only beeped once).

11. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently enrolled in Global Entry (a much better value because it includes international travel and it is $100 as opposed to $85 for only domestic TSA Pre Check. For an extra $15 you get both) and they are both good for five years.. With Global Entry, if you travel internationally you can enter the US very quickly without having to wait on a long customs line - you simply swipe your passport at a kiosk, put your carry on through a scanner and walk through.

Another thing people might not be aware of is that Global Entry is completely free if you have an American Express Platinum card. It is one of the perks of the card - you pay the registration fee and a couple of days later it is refunded on your card. I did this when I enrolled and it worked perfectly. One thing to note is that there is fine print that says just because you are approved for TSA Pre Check doesn't mean you can't be pulled off the line for an extra security check at their discretion. So having it does not completely guarantee that you can breeze through the Pre Check line.

I am going to be using the Pre Check line for the first time on my upcoming trip next week so I will see how it goes!

12. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used Global Entry coming back into Atlanta from Dominican Republic. Saved us easily 45 minutes! We left yesterday from Atlanta and the precheck line was combined with a regular line. When we get home, I plan on sending a complaint. The same thing happened in Vegas, where majority of the people were not precheck. Not sure if the complaint would mean anything, but maybe if enough people who paid for it did complain, then maybe, they would change it.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, the last two times flying out of McCarran (including today) they were funneling one of the regular lines over, which I don't mind except most of these people are flying "idiots" and arguing with the TSA agents ("I had to take off my shoes before, why don't you people make up your mind!"), some were taking things out of their bag, cause they don't listen to the instructions... cell phones in pockets... what have you. It slowed every thing down to normal. Please... let these morons stand in the long line, they deserve it and it makes 'em happy.

14. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree, let 'em stand in the long line!! OR if there are two lines to put your things on the belt, have the ones who actually have precheck go in one, and those that don't go in the other.

15. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Preck gripes. I was in a Short preck line at McCarran few days ago, and they were Hand Swabbing ALL Tsa PreCk people.
    Ugh..............WHY?
    Shouldn't they randomly Swab the Others?
    Honestly TSA PreCk seems to kick themselves in the foot at every turn.:grrr:

16. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say something to the TSA ops people at the airport, to the TSA cretins running the line and making the decision to combine lines and also e-mail someone to complain.

I'm going to get my GlobalEntry this summer and it is because I hate waiting in security lines. If I pay for GE (therefore getting PC in the process) and the TSA is combining the people who have no clue how to travel then I would be steamed.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to mention... these people haven't been fingerprinted, back-ground checked, etc., so in addition to ruining the convenience for me of having gone through all that, they're in essence "compromising the security of all." Now before that comment gets jumped on, I fully understand that keeping my laptop in the bag and shoes on my feet isn't keeping the plane from going down. I also think I understand what some supervisor or group of supervisors are doing. It doesn't look good to the mob to have a long line and them see an x-ray machine and several TSA agents standing around waiting for the infrequent TSA approved pre-check customers to come through. In Reno they keep things completely separate, but of course Reno doesn't experience anywhere near the volume Vegas does.

18. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good points.

Houston-Bush is usually pretty efficient with moving the lines along whereas Philadelphia is like one huge mess.

I like the first class line to bypass the loooooooooong ID check line and now i look forward to bypassing scanners.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a fan of those who get PreCheck w/o having Global Entry, NEXUS, or PreCheck. There's a reason some of us are paying $ to get this benefit. Ever since DHS/TSA allowed some people to get PreCheck w/o being background-checked/interviewed, the lines at the airports got ridiculous. Sometimes the lines at Seattle are pretty long since military personnel are now eligible, but I don't mind them being PreCheck-eligible versus the "regular people.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well... file me under the category of "misery loves company". I just Googled TSA PreCheck complaints and there's all kinds of people saying the same thing... the "TSA managed to take a great idea and ruin it in a matter of months!" It's happening all over the country and people are pissed. I did send in a complaint and asked for a response... we'll see... I have no illusions of heaven and earth moving as a result, but at least I know others are seeing and experiencing the same thing all over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.