1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to tell the cabbie when going from airport to flamingo???

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Scrapperjill, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrapperjill

Scrapperjill Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering if someone can give me an idea of what to tell the taxi driver to get me to the flamingo from the airport... Cheapest route. I checked the taxi fare finder and it suggests... Swenson... Harmon... Las Vegas blvd. for an average of just over $15 with tip (medium traffic). Does that sound the best? Btw It'll be about 10:30 PM on a Sunday night in July.

2. blackjacker2

blackjacker2 Never ever play 6:5, it is not blackjack

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip I was at the Flamingo and from previous experience and info on VMB I just confidently said "Flamingo via Swenson please".

I know the route and had no issues, but it was busy as I arrived mid afternoon which meant the fare was higher. You should be okay at 10.30pm, but traffic always seems to be busy!

3. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't treat the taxi fare finder as Gospel. It could easily be way more than $15 even with the correct route depending on a whole bunch of variables like traffic, number of red lights you hit on the way, etc.

4. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've made the trip from the airport to the Flamingo and my fare, including a generous tip, is usually closer to $20. Depends how you hit the lights and traffic, of course. Harmon/Swensen is usually fastest, don't let them take the tunnel. The cab drivers have taken various combinations of the Swensen/Harmon/Paradise route and they have all worked out to about the same $$.

I'm female and always arrive alone, so I have suspected I could be at a higher risk of long hauling. I usually just say "Flamingo, city streets, no tunnel" and haven't had a problem. That establishes you as someone who is confident and knows where you are going, not an easy mark. I know taxi drivers can be less than honest, and those are usually the stories we hear about on the chat boards, but I think most are ok. I've had a couple grumble when I told them the 'city streets' line, but I think most were grumbling because a gal is telling them their route. There is usually some conversation during the drive and I always make sure I talk about how frequently I am in Vegas (4x/year) and how I always stay at the Flamingo, and it's good to be home, blah blah..... to me, this just solidifies their knowledge that I know where we are going and am not a random tourist they can long haul.

Enjoy your trip!
    diane

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I quote a line from Scarface. "I only tell you once. Don't f*** me, cabbie. Don't you ever try to f*** me."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.