1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best route from Vegas to Lake Tahoe (road trip)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by WHITEJACKET73, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the process of planning my 11 day Vegas trip in September. I thought I would break things up mid-trip and drive up to Lake Tahoe and stay a couple of days. Mapquest is giving me a route of taking hwy 95 then heading west to connect to US hwy 395 in California heading north to Tahoe. I am wondering if it might be better to remain on hwy 95 up to Fallon and then west to Reno and Lake Tahoe? The Hwy 395 route looks like it heads into the mountains; if I stay on hwy 95 I can crank up the cruise control.... might be a faster route. Would like some input from any board members who have driven either route. Anything of interest that would be worth a short side trip along the way? Thanks.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've only done the LV to Reno via 95 and then a side trip from Reno to Lake Tahoe.

The roads around the lake are, yes, not nearly as fast as those heading to Reno.

I would say your other route would be more scenic, but not nearly as fast.

3. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are planning the same excursion at about the same time as you. We will be leaving LV on 9/8 to drive to Tahoe for three nights. On the way back, we will spend a night in the Yosemite area before returning to LV on 9/12. We have been to Death Valley, but I also wonder if there are other points of interest that we should not miss? How far out of the way is Area 51?

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you could find a more interesting and varied route than in driving through DVNP to Lone Pine and then up 395. Certainly not direct but a truly stunning route with amazing scenery.

What do you mean by the "Yosemite area"?

As for not to be missed, Mammoth and environs.

5. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

If you are speaking about visiting Yosemite itself, a few years ago the East entrance, Tioga Pass, was closed in mid October. Elev; over 9900 feet.
    This coming winter is hopefully going to be a wet one. Outstanding vistas.
    If you going to Death Valley out of Parumph on Hwy 120, Stop at Dantes View. From there you can look down on Badwater, DVNP. The lowest point in North America. While there, on a clear day, looking North West and only 85 miles away is Mt Whitney, the highest point in the lower 48 States.

6. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you mean by the "Yosemite area"?

As for not to be missed, Mammoth and environs.[/QUOTE]

As this will be our first visit to Yosemite National Park, we are not sure what me mean. We are allocating only a day and a half to see key points of interest in the park. We have looked at reserving a hotel in the Mammoth area.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are limited, reserved-far-in-advanced lodgings in the park, so most folks stay outside at one of the western portals. Post-Labor Day crowds diminish but it is still damn crowded on the valley floor, less so of course in the highlands. Mammoth is AWESOME in September.

Horizon Air Magazine this month has a cover story I wrote on Mammoth/Yosemite recreation. PM or email me and I'll send a link to the digital archive, if interested.

8. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After doing some homework, I decided on taking the Hwy 395 route. Looks like there are a lot of things to stop and see along the way. Looking forward to the drive and the scenery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.