1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another reason I like Costco!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting... I'm surprised Papa John's Pizza isn't on the list!

3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    talk about an apples to oranges comparison if I've ever seen one LOL

many other factors in play to make one "unhappy" with salary satisfaction while working in Silicon Valley

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are travel-golf writers on the list???

I was at Costco yesterday, getting stuff for the weekend and a duplicate receipt for the one I lost two weeks ago when I bought the new TV and BluRay. The clerk inquired if everything was OK and I told her I'd likely be returning both but that we'd kick the tires on the TV for another week or so.

She immediately inquired if the tube was defective and I said negatorio, that it's just not working well in our viewing environment. She said she was sorry to hear that and that I not hesitate at all bringing it back.

Service. Not exactly Fritos/Cheetohs comparing a big-box discount warehouse to a FourSeasons or a One & Only, but that is exactly where Costco resides. The outfit might actually be better at service than the hoteliers.

Imagine if GM had that mentality?

5. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the movie says..."Welcome to Costco.I love you..." :evillaugh

6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At my last company everyone would have actually been pretty happy going 5+ years without a raise, but what really pissed everyone off is when the company is doing $10 billion profit, management in the news getting $50 million bonuses and they same people telling its employees they have to do more with less.

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Partly because of the good stuff posted on this board about Costco, my wife and I joined last Saturday. It was Memorial Day weekend. The store was packed. After joining, we wandered around and stopped in the computer area. We had questions, and someone answered them right away and acted as if we were the only two customers in the place. Costco had the best price we could find in our area for what we wanted, they had the machine we wanted in stock, and it was actually working. We bought a computer. Checkout in the crowded store, including sending someone to the locker for the computer, took five minutes because the manager had anticipated the crowd and had brought in lots of staff.

How to run a business 101.

8. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costco is Awesome. They have good employees, who do a good job. I am a member of both Costco and Sams Club, and the difference is day and night. Costco has some of the best pricing on prescription drugs that I have found anywhere also.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're going to Costco this coming weekend. Need to get some supplies but mostly to return the TV we bought a few weeks ago. We've kicked the tires and it just doesn't work as well as we want in our viewing conditions. Line aside, this process will take about a minute. We will be asked, politely, why we are returning the tube and no one will grill us or bat an eye.

Business 101.

10. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just bought a Toshiba satellite today from Costco. I've been a member for 10 yrs at least and have never had a problem. I easily go 3 times a week. Love them!

11. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't agree with you more bardolator.

My daughter bought a cheap(er) laptop there when she was 16. She was given a number to call if she had any problems (I think it was called Costco concierge). After 6 months, her battery stopped holding a charge and they replaced it without question and without her even sending the old one in. Not often a 16 year old gets that kind of respect. Next problem, one of her keys fell off. They sent her a new laptop (she did have to send back the old one that time). Compare that to my son buying a laptop at Future Shop, paying dearly for extended warranty and then being refused replacement because whatever the problem was wasn't covered. And besides they said to him at 16 - you probably abused it. Even me going with him to raise holy hell didn't do any good.

We bought a tent one year and after using it one season, two of our poles were bending. The next year, I phoned the tent company to order new poles and after hearing I'd purchased it at Costco, they immediately offered to send a full set of replacement poles, no charge, no questions.

I believe that companies selling in Costco realize that their longevity there is based on their performance and customer service. While Costco has a hassle free return policy, anyone selling their products in Costco also knows that to continue selling there, they have got to make sure the customer is satisfied.

It's been a win-win for us.

12. smallz79

smallz79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ive worked at Costco for almost 15 years and love it. first real job out of high school. they treat us very very well. we were all sad to see our ceo jim sinegal retire

13. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of Costco's pharmacy prices are cheaper than what my co-pay is at Walgreens.

14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

That's a good story and good example of how important the Costco relationship is to manufacturers. If you watch the CNBC documentary on Costco someone mentioned in the other Costco thread they spend time focusing on the process of how a company gets its product approved by Costco. It is intense. I could see it being more important than a relationship with even bigger retailers since at other stores they may sell 20 different tents, at Costco you'll find one or two. Once your product is on their shelves you have little to no competition in the store.

I used to buy this bag of brown rice whenever I'd make it out to Costco (once every couple months or so). But I remember the quality of the packaging wasn't great like most Costco packages are. There would be a lot of leaking bags and spilled rice on those pallets and when you took a bag home and opened it, it didn't reseal easily. Then it disappeared from the shelves one day and they didn't have brown rice for a while, until one day they had a new package that was extremely sturdy and easy to deal with. I like how Costco has the power to push for quality improvements.

And as far as the pay and benefits, its no surprise given the quality of their workforce. Everyone I've ever encountered there has been helpful, active, and courteous. I even have a cashier I always try to go to because she is so speedy and pleasant, she's like my Costco girlfriend except she doesn't know that. :wink2:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.