1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Seniors tournament.

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by redzone, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have decided to go and play this year in the seniors tournament. I have booked Harrah's for Thursday to Monday. I have a car and will drive over each day as it is a foregone conclusion I will be going to the final table:rolleyes2:

Its been on my bucket list so why not go and soak in the atmosphere.

Does anyone have a story about playing the seniors tournament?

2. dernsky

dernsky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good luck!!! trying to raise the funds myself. hope to see ya there. there is a shuttle from harrrahs to the Rio every 30 mins.:beer:

3. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for that info. I just may do that instead of drive.

4. kingfisher

kingfisher Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finished in the money in 2007 (124th). It was a great experience and a lot of fun. Those were the days of lots of giveaways (shirts, etc.) from the online sites. I doubt there are that many now.

5. duncthehat

duncthehat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah coming over from England to play the Seniors again as well as the 1500 Horse and either the stud hi lo or a 1500 hold em as well as the Grand Poker Series at the Nugget and the Legends of Poker event at binnions

Love Vegas in June :)

6. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job kingfisher. Maybe the state online sites will have something going on.

7. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My work only allows me to be there from late Wednesday night to Monday but still look forward to a few days of fun in the sun.

Can you tell me if there is any problem with signing up the day before the event starts? How long are the sign up lines and do they cut off at a certain number of players?

8. dernsky

dernsky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it wont be a problem the day before, the day of might have some lines. never had a problem the day before..:beer:

9. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok. Thanks dernsky

10. GutZ

GutZ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be around and hope to have some $ left ;)

I played the LO8 last year and had quite the table. I was in seat 4 with Chad Brown in 5. He busted leaving the seat for Vanessa Selbst who busted right at the dinner break. Daniel N got the seat after dinner.. Even more incredible was that Carlos Mortenson was in 8. At some point Jason Merceir would run in and play his stack from seat 2 . I busted in level 7.

Anyway, that's Wednesday and the Senior's is Friday. Just because the guys hands are shaking doesn't mean he's nervous ;)

Good Luck!

11. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite the table composition there Gutz. They were probably saying to themselves "Damn, Gutz is in seat 4":nworthy:

I was disappointed to see the starting stack was 3000 but I am a patient player so maybe with 60 minute levels it will work out. If I was there longer I would have liked to try the plo8 but it has been the senior tournament on my bucket list.

Good luck to anyone playing in the tournaments this year. I hope t0 hear how you took down the bracelet.:thumbsup:

12. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving tomorrow night and will sign up on Thursday. I will be the guy with no sunglasses, no hoodie, no ear pods and the least talkative guy at the table so say hi if your around. :beer:

13. macwjp

macwjp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I qualify age wise for the seniors tournament next year so the plan is to go down next year to play in it. Good luck to everyone playing in this years seniors tournament.

14. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm following this thread with interest as I hopefully will play in this myself next year. Unlike macwup, I've been "age qualified" for some years now.

15. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nature of non NLHE events. I plan to play 2-7 triple draw (or a mix event) someday when I can afford it. I'll probably have a similar experience. But at least my bracelet chances will be > 1 in 1000 I suppose.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  16. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that was interesting. I lasted a measly 1 1/2 hrs and got a guy all in with 10-10. I had AA and first card in the window was a 10 and I said asta la vista amigos. You finally do something you have had on your list for a long time and then to get eliminated so fast and like that is very dissapointing. The ironic part was I kept saying to my wife that I hope not to get sucked out on and get eliminated that way.

I am glad I went and it is a hub of activity. "Oklahoma Johny" Hale did the opening address and then it was "shuffle up and deal". I was in the brasilia room which is right across from the pavilion room which is the main area. There were over 4000 entries. Registration is a breeze but be sure to have a total rewards card or you dont get registered. They have a total rewards booth right near the registration room.
    I am here for another two days so I will get back on the horse and play a tournament at the aria and Venetian if possible. Good luck to whomever is still playing.

17. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, redzone. You got your $ in with the best. Thanks for the vicarious ride.

18. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about getting knocked out like that! You got em in good. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good in poker.

I got knocked out in the main event a few yrs ago by AK vs my QQ on day 3 (cash started during day 4). Guy hit a K on the turn or river, can't remember, I block it all out :) It was a kick to the gonads regardless. One card and your favored odds flip the other way and you're ready to puke.

I did go on to cash in two Venetian deep stack tourneys that year - love the soft field over there. And the nightly Aria $125 is great too.

19. David Grant

David Grant Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was unlucky Redzone.
    Try again next year, where hopefully I will see you there.
    David

20. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the comments . I have a couple of pictures from the wsop I will post when I get back.

I have heard from a couple of dealers and now TRN mention the Aria $125 as being a good structured tournament. I am staying at Harrahs so I played the 100 bounty they run every night at 8:00 pm. They cap at 5 tables and 20 alternates and it has sold out every night I have been here. Nothing exciting to report though. We rode the Linq yesterday.

Leaving tomorrow at 12:30 and not sure where to go or what to see today. It has been 100-110 every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.