1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Draft: How's Your Team Doing?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by bardolator, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably this will get duped, but here goes anyway.

My team is the Browns. I did not want them to draft Johnny Football, but the way they did it was ingenious. I am pleased with the other guy, also. So far so good.

Of course, Johnny Football was pick 22. Brandon Weeden (AKA We Done) was pick 22. Brady Quinn was pick 22. Berman pronounced us doomed, but that's hardly news.

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well Johnny Football is more of a true winner on the field than those too. Also played in the best conference while Weeden at Ok State did not and same goes for Quinn and Independent Notre Dame. Not to mention Johnny is only 21 not 40 coming out of college like Weeden.

I'm a Lions fan and I wouldn't have been upset to take Johnny at 10 and send Stafford packing because I think Johnny is going to be special. Instead we take another receiving TE to bring our total to 3 receiving TEs on the roster. Jim Caldwell either wants us to be the Patriots with 3 TEs on the field at a time or he doesn't understand you can only have 5 receivers/backs on the field at once because we already have Megatron, Tate, Bush, Bell, Pettigrew, Fauria plus whoever ends up as the number 3 receiver and add Ebron on top. I think the kid will be good but just clearly not our pressing need when we can't pressure the quarterback or stop the pass.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an Oakland Raider fan and we need far more help than any one draft can provide, but LB Khalil Mack outta Buffalo seems to please most of the experts. Of course, last year we drafted LB Rolando McClain (Alabama) another "can't miss" prospect and he's outta the league now!!! In any event, we got new QB Matt Schaub to look forward to... so enjoy Johnny Football... I think he'll be exciting as heck! I just hope he can withstand the rigors of the NFL... RGIII hasn't fared all that well yet.

4. tipdrill

tipdrill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bradley Roby won't start, but he's got potential. Johnny is gonna tank, Cleveland is better off with Hoyer or any QB that can feed Josh Gordon.

5. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I am a Raider fan, and I am good with this pick. But McClain was picked in 2010 not last year. But he was a big bust.:peace:

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the correction... our drafts have been so unmemorable, they ALL blend together! I've been a fan since the 70's and I remember what it used to be like to talk smack and get excited for the season... not anymore... big discussion each year now is whether we'll go over or under 4 wins. So Sad.

7. rdrfn70

rdrfn70 Low-Roller

Love the khalil mack pick top 2 players and best "football" guy in the draft

8. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C'mon, We-Done was only 29 3/4 when we drafted him. Not even thirty! The guy never got used to the idea that you have to throw ahead of a receiver, let alone the possibility that there might be another receiver out there someplace.

Mack would have been really nice to have. So would another Matthews, except his position was not a need for us.

Hoyer looked good from day one, and surprisingly enough, the coaches noticed and put him on the fast track. You never know who will tank and who will prove he's got sand and smarts. Wouldn't it be something to have a QB controversy between two guys who are both good, as opposed to a has-been and a never-was? I just didn't want them to draft Johnny with a single-digit pick. Word in Cleveland is that Jimmy Haslam was sweet on him. Johnny will certainly make things interesting, one way or another. I just hope it's his football play that makes the headlines.

9. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a Pats fan and so far I don't like their first 2 picks. They need a NT and they got one with the first pick with Easley from Florida. I think that the better NT available was Nix from Notre Dame. With the 2nd pick they took Garappolo from Eastern Illinois. I would have gone with AJ McCarron. Garappolo is good, but unproven against better competition. In Belichick I trust.

10. discin311

discin311 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Garappolo will be a good back up i thought he was going to go higher I wish my Bears would have got him o well. Speaking of the bears i dont like there picks at all

11. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I understand, the team wants him to be Brady's replacement eventually. I guess they feel he's about as close to Brady as you can get. I dunno.

12. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's really no surprise what the Seahawks have done so far. They came into the draft with 6 picks and their sole goal was to acquire more picks. They traded from 32 to 40 to pick up an extra pick and then went from 40 to 45 to add another pick. Carroll and Schneider like guys with unique abilities and Richardson is a burner so I can see their appeal in him. I haven't heard much about the tackle we picked up at #64 but with the loss of Giacomini we needed to get somebody for the OL. Day 3 is where the Seahawks have gotten some steals the past few years so I'm excited that we still have 6 picks left considering we started the draft with only 6 picks.

13. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seahawk strategy might be a good one this year, with talent running deeper than usual according to the talking heads. Browns have also stockpiled some picks, so I hope they hit some winners in the latter rounds.

We didn't have to wait long for Johnny Football's first local non-football headline. He was seen at a club swilling champagne out of the bottle the night of his draft, and when asked, was quoted as follows: "I'm 21 years old." Then Justin Gilbert, our first draft pick, announced that he hopes to hang out with Johnny Football and learn from him. In other Browns news, Josh Gordon may miss the season because of a second substance violation, and another guy just broke his arm.

It's gonna be an interesting season, and probably a long one.

14. Pbtrav

Pbtrav Mid level gambler.....high level drinker!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy with my Saints draft so far.....Babtiste in 2nd rd was a good pickup and desperately needed..

15. Criminole

Criminole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope SJB has a good career but being a Husker fan and watching all of his games he will need to improve. Size isn't everything.

16. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :drunk: Also a Browns fan. Not a J. Football fan either. I would of preferred Teddy Bridgewater late in the first round. I'd give my team a solid B. Improving the absolutely non existent run game with a grinder guard and West for a RB were good moves. Taking the highest rated corner in the draft is a smart move. I'm a big believer in running the ball and the best defense possible. Peyton Manning got a big dose of that type of ball and I love Manning.

17. phinfan08

phinfan08 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May have been a "boring" draft for the Dolphins, but I'm happy. I wanted them to take an offensive lineman in the 1st, and the prospect they drafted Ja'Wuan James looks like he can start right away at right tackle. They grabbed an exciting WR prospect and more offensive line help with Jarvis Landry (LSU) and Billy Turner (NDSU) in the 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

18. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Johnny Cleveland was a bad pick for the Browns. He's not NFL caliber.
    However he already sold some tickets and that makes the ownership happy.
    Good luck without Gordon... lol

as walterfootball wrote, the Pats are in a win now situation and a 2nd round backup QB pick doesnt help the next 2 seasons vs Broncos.

HUGE REACH by the saints. He's a 4th round talent. I didnt like the pick at all. But hey, somebody has to defend the Bucs tripple tower setup, right? At least you guys have one of the best coaches and QBs.

Rams draft looked pretty good. However pick #249 could be a distraction. But it gets them positive media coverage.

Vikings lost the Johnny Football battle, but at the end they picked the better QB. :thumbsup:

Raiders had no choice other then to thank the Jags :beer: and take Mack. Carr can be a steal. Both should help them big time.

Packers had a solid draft.

Texans are the winners of the 2014 draft with AWESOME picks in the first 4 rounds. :nworthy: They are dangerous.

From the players standpoint, i think JFF and Sammy are not happy to be in Cleveland and Buffalo. Bortles and Latimer must be two of the happiest players now.

19. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see an opinion about everyone elses' team but yours, on a thread about how YOUR team is doing. So WHO is your team ?

20. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone said that the last time a QB under 6 feet tall was taken in the first round was 50 years ago, an assertion I could not verify in the draft records I checked. The WSJ said only 8 guys under six feet tall have thrown a pass in the NFL since 1970, not counting players who were not listed as QB's. I dislike statistics as a rule, but some statistics are also laws of physics.

The reason I like the way the Browns handled the first round is simple: Johnny Football didn't cost them anything because they got 2 picks for 1 earlier in the round. I question his stature as a man as much as I do his height. I have serious doubts he'll make it. But he might. Even if he comes up snake eyes, Johnny Football is a free roll, not counting the difference between the extra ticket sales and what they have to pay him.

Far as Gordon goes, I wasn't planning any Super Bowl parties for 2015 anyway. If the Browns do anything, it'll happen gradually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.