1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Whats AirTran like ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mike mc, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With SW taking on Air Tran I see flight are cheaper than SW at times but are they any good? Never seen any comments on this airline on this board. I know some schedules suck on the east coast, seems they all want to go thru their hub in Atlanta before next leg of trip to Vegas. Hows the cust service ? Looks like you get assigned seats. They have bag fees according to web site(Which negates the cheaper fare SW has)

2. BigGTMike

BigGTMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whats Air Tran like ?

It's SW crews. It's gone downhill in both cleanliness and service since the takeover by SW. Neither if which are bad, just not what it once was... The fares are higher now too. I still fly them each trip and upgrade to first class 24 hours in advance. I find it to be a good value, but I'm in ATL so it's direct for me.

3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience, Airtran has hard-to-book frequent flyer flights, miles that expire in ten minutes, and the same nickel-and-dime games most airlines play these days. Its flight performance is okay, though, except that it uses Atlanta an awful lot. Atlanta is a crapshoot any time, and the later in the day you go, the worse it gets. So I'd say it's on par with others in most ways, but I cannot recommend its frequent flyer program.

4. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't agree more. Business Class is acceptable with these guys, because you get a short security line, quick boarding, seat width, and leg room. Not to mention free alcohol the whole way. Their coach class, however, is a disaster. Almost no leg room at all. REALLY cramped. Ya really gotta suck up the money and upgrade 24 hours in advance.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really looking forward to this merger completing... I'm excited about the new destinations I see on the SWA napkins. We have a ridiculous amount of points available.

6. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not at all excited about the merger. What happens to the business class? Gone I'm sure, I love airtran. No problems but I can't stand the cattle call of sw and no business class. I have long legs and need the extra room.

7. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much is the upgrade to business class? Also, does the upgrade cover 2 checked in bags?

Annual Golf Trip
  8. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They pro-rate it according to distance. I want to say that it's between $49 and $129. I live in DC, and a 2 and 1/2 hour flight to New Orleans was $69, whereas a Vegas flight was either $99 or $109.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown AirTran a few times, I guess I always considered them very run of the mill average. Got some good deals on business class but other than that there was nothing that really made me want to fly them. I do hate any airline merger, we need more competition not less.

10. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks bdautch... Flying out of BWI on the 13th and will be my first time flying AirTran. Do you know if bags are free or do you still pay those fees?

Annual Golf Trip
  11. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are in coach you pay for your bags. If you upgrade to business class the bags are free. From bwi, if you have a non stop flight the upgrade is 99. So if you think you can deduct the 25 for bags...or if you have two 50...So really the upgrade not that bad.

12. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makes perfect sense and thanks! Hopefully upgrades are available when I check in next week...

Annual Golf Trip
  13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you book an AirTran flight via SWA website, bags are free.

The only reason to book on AirTran is for A+ Rewards, finding flights not on SW, and picking your seat.

Basically, booking a coach AirTran flight otherwise is throwing away money if checking bags.

14. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info, Busyman... I did book my trip via the SWA website and I'm flying out with AirTran (got exit row seat) then back to BWI via SW (EB)... Glad to hear that I won't be charged for 1st and 2nd bags! :peace:

Annual Golf Trip
  15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a round trip on AirTran in business class and it was great. I just got back on a trip where one segment was in coach on an old AirTran. It was okay. The seats were not quite comfy but it was like you just needed an inch more. I don't know how Southwest can use those planes in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.