1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where can I get a game of Limit, at reasonably low blinds?

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Clash79, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clash79

Clash79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are there any decent games of limit with blinds less than $3/$6?

2. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the blinds in a 3/6 game are 1 and 2?
    Can't get any lower than that.

3. bta15

bta15 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Orleans and flamingo are both strip/near strip and have 2/4 currently running.

4. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The blinds in limit hold 'em for a 3/6 game are 1 for SB, 3 for BB. In 2/4 it's 1 for SB, 2 for BB.

I believe there are 2/4 games at GN.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would assume the blinds of 2-6 spread limit is $1/$2 as well. That runs at Monte Carlo a lot.

6. Clash79

Clash79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info guys...appreciated.

Next question...out of the places mentioned, where are the softest games? (if any)

7. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flamingo is pretty soft, for either the 2-4 or 1-2NL games.

8. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played 3/6 Limit at Harrah's. Bally's also has it and/or 2/4 limit.

9. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a trick question. They're all soft.

10. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No $2-$4 game at Bally's. I would suggest Flamingo for a softer game on the strip.

11. Pocketaces

Pocketaces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure that I'd call any of those games soft during the morning/day shift.

It really depends on the table.

12. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're all soft. 100% of the time.

No one is playing small stakes like that if they know how to play. That game is pure recreation.

You might as well be playing $2 blackjack.

13. Pocketaces

Pocketaces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely disagree. In my opinion that is a ridiculous statement. The local rocks that are looking to get their aces cracked and promo chasing are anything but soft. Rarely are there large pots against this crew of grinders. They are not playing for recreation. They are just too scared to play at higher stakes.

I say the competition at the drunk 4/8 at the B is softer than the 2/4 at Flamingo.

Even if the competition would be softer (which it is not) is it almost impossible to beat the high rake in a 2/4 game.

There are a 1000 more reasons why not to play 2/4 and I could go on and on. But if you think "you might as well play $2 blackjack" then you MUST know it all already. I am not even sure I know what that means.

Good luck!

:beer:

14. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. 2/4 is pretty soft.

I will say some of the 3/6 get a little bit more aggressive. That play is still awful, however.

limit poker is a great way to earn comp'd drinks.

They're weak tight players who aren't very skilled at poker. The game is soft.

That said, it's nearly impossible to earn a profit playing low limit poker because of the rake. For that reason playing tight isn't a horrible strategy.

15. Pocketaces

Pocketaces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed!

:beer:

16. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think PopMega said it best. The rake is too high for the game to be very profitable. Anyone who knows anything about poker and is trying to win money playing poker won't be sitting at a 2/4 limit table. Heck, 1/2 and 3/6 are pretty soft as well. You have to be extremely skilled at limit to have a chance at winning consistently at that level and if you have that amount of skill, you aren't grinding away at 2/4 limit.

The blackjack comment was about having the same amount of odds to winning blackjack as you do winning at a 2/4 table. Personally, I think it's a suckers game and I know most (if not all) of the people playing it have no clue what they're doing. Like I said, limit takes a tremendous amount of skill and concentration. Anyone can get lucky at it though.

I know the locals play the Flamingo room. Those guys are beatable as well. My good friend like to play over there when we go to Vegas because the that room is pretty soft. The locals are easy enough to spot... they basically tell you they're local when they know all of the dealers and say hi to the floor. If I was a local... this is information I definitely wouldn't be giving away to the people I'm playing with.

17. Pocketaces

Pocketaces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good conversation. I am not trying to be a jerk. What I can't get my head around is how a game can be "soft" if it is unbeatable because of the rake. I brought the rake up myself as one of the other reasons NOT to play 2/4.

I am confused about the comparison to BJ. BJ is a -EV game. How could a game ("They're all soft. 100% of the time") that are so soft be like playing blackjack?

Either they are beatable all of the time every time OR they are unbeatable because of the points above.

18. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for the confusion.

1. I think the players at 2/4 limit aren't very good... hence the reason the game is soft and likely the reason that they're sitting at 2/4 to begin with.
    2. I think 2/4 limit is like playing blackjack because it's basically a coin-flip to win at 2/4 limit... the rake making it -EV to most players.
    3. Anyone can win/lose money being on the right side of variance. So, if you're playing 2/4 limit, not only do you need to be on the right side of variance most of the time, you need the other players to be on the wrong side of variance. Pretty much the way it happens at the blackjack table as well.

Is the game soft? Yep. Is it playable just because it's soft? Methinks not.

19. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience, a soft game infers bad play not EV considerations because of rake. In that regard, 2/4 is like BJ.

That said, if you play tight 2/4 limit is very +EV and low variance if you consider the amount of comp'd booze you can drink while playing.

20. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! I hadn't even considered just sitting there like a rock trying to booze up!

Definitely a great angle for making the game profitable. :nworthy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.