1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Save $ on bottled water - get ice and let it melt

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by jammer23, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammer23

jammer23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rather than buying water, I get ice from the vending machine. Once I come return, the ice melts and the water is drinkable.

If you stay at Bally's at a Jubilee room, there's a water fountain by the sandwich shop.

2. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or if your hotel has some, you can just grab the complimentary water from the gym.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the KING of this... I love me some melted ice in the middle of the night/following day. Right when there's still some ice chunks floating around in the cold water. Guzzle it right outta the ice-bucket!

4. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive never thought about this....I end up buying a gallon every other day...thanks!

5. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or just get a cup and fill it up from your sink in the bathroom then add ice.

6. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ice machines are some of the FILTHIEST places our food/drink comes from.

Spend a few cents on some water.

7. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At most resort hotels, just ask the cocktail waittress for a bottle of water or ask the front desk for some complimentary bottled water.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy:

9. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ice machines can get pretty disgusting if not cleaned frequently. I would re-think drinking melted ice water. We have our ice machine at work serviced every 6 months and it amazes me how much mold builds up in the drop tray from the moisture.

Mark

10. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this thread serious? I don't even..................

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water and Americans refuse to drink municipal water at billion-dollar resort hotels?

This shit is too too funny!!!

12. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same thoughts. Water for the sink and ice machine is from the same source. If you prefer, you can get bottled water while gamblng. There must be more to this story.

13. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was saying why wait for the ice to melt to get water when you can get it out of the sink. It amazes me how people think the filtered water they get from a bottle is better than the filtered water that you get from the tap!!!!

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, what airball said.

Geez. :rolleyes2:

15. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are really concerned, grab a water bottle with a filter for a few bucks, toss ice in it and water from the tap. It also let's you take it on the go.

16. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best idea: stop at the grocery store/walgreens and get a 24 pack of water (cheap brand) for about $5.99. Water is clean and portable where ever you go.

Use the dirty free ice to fill sink and chill bottles

17. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quick story:

My second or third trip to Vegas was solo; while on the plane, there was this loudmouthed guy right behind me (mid to late 40's), part of a group of 3 or 4 heading out for golf or gambling or something. Anyway, this guy was loud; wanted to practice playing blackjack with his friends, talking about having a blast, etc.

So near then end of the flight, he makes the sudden announcement to his friends "Hey, you know what we should do? Stop at a store and get a bunch of water! Nothing is better after waking up from a night of partying like cool water!" He sounded like he had just discovered the secret to having an awesome Vegas vacation: having water to drink.

Me and the guy next to me looked at each other and shook our heads. I said "maybe someone should tell this guy if he's staying at a fancy enough place, they have sinks and faucets and ice, and will even give you a glass to use."

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bottled water is cheap in vegas. I always pick up a gallon or a few big bottles of water whenever I vacation in vegas. I try to drink a lot of water (go to the bathroom a lot too, lol) and stay hydrated since it is so dry in vegas. I think a gallon of water costs less than 2 bucks, I know that the quart bottles are .49 at trader joes.

As others have mentioned, IMHO the ice and water used is probably not much better than the water they use in the hotels (hope they filter the water) so IMHO if you don't mind drinking regular water then go for it with the ice.

I did have a bad experience once, I think it was in Kona a decade ago. I took ice from the ice machine but when the ice melted it had a slight chlorinated taste and smell. I asked and the hotel said that they use their regular water supply to make the ice (no filters). After that I just use bottled water so I don't have to worry about how the ice was processed.

To each his/her own. :wave:

19. usmcbaby

usmcbaby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And of those approx. 1 billion people; 3.5 million die every year from water related diseases such as diarrhoea, cholera, malaria, intestinal worms, etc. (water.org, 2013 & Unicef, 2007)

My Father-in-law worked in water treatment and environmental services for 20+ years. I haven't taken a drink out of a water fountain, faucet, hose, etc. in many many years.

Yes, i drank out of the hose as a kid-who didn't and have probably accidentally drank more lake water while swimming or skiing than I care to know. Yes, i brush my teeth and shower in tap water as well as take ice with my tea or mixed drinks while in restaurants.

In the end, give me bottled water or filtered water to drink....no other type of water will do.

20. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're probably going to hate me for this....

When our kids were young and we were travelling, ice buckets and the lid off the shaving cream can made for great toys in the bathtub. Just saying...:wink2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.