1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tomahawk steak at SW?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by RiddickBull, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried the tomahawk steak at SW? I was thinking about trying this. I usually get filet mignon (preferably bone-in), but wanted to try something different. I have tried rib eye and new york steaks at many steak houses, but filet mignon melts in your mouth.

Also, is there a strict dress code?

2. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't had the Tomahawk but I did share the Chile Rubbed Ribeye and it was phenomenal. As far as the dress code goes, I wore a pair of slacks and a button up shirt (no tie) and I didn't feel out of place.

3. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure to share the tomahawk. They are usually huge everywhere. Its enough for 2 ppl and awesome (havent tried it at SW).

If you want a steak that melts in your mouth, try the a5 wagyu at prime in bellagio. I got the ribeye cut ($30 or $40 an ounce with a 4 oz minimum) and I could cut it with my fork. It was awesome!!

4. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the bone-in filet mignon at the Prime a few trips ago. It was awesome. I have yet to try a5 wagyu in vegas.

Cutting your steak with a fork = premium steak.

Do you think jeans and a polo is too casual? I am usually under dress when I eat at nice restaurants.

5. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually wear a nice pair of jeans (true religions, ag's, etc) with a nice button shirt. You will be fine.

6. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, if the weather permits, I'd highly suggest sitting outside on the lake when you're at SW.

7. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had the Tomahawk at SW, it is a really good steak.

Pardon the image quality [​IMG]

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE the Tomahawk cut now!!! I just had it for the first time last week at the Hard Rock's 35 Steaks and Martini's joint. I usually order the bone-in Filet Mignon, which is like 14-16 oz I think, but last week I ordered their Tomahawk (dry aged) and it's like 35 oz! I was dining solo and took a considerable amount back to the room, but it was some good eatin' later that evening!!!! I'm sure SW has a GREAT one... Go For It!

9. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same way. I prefer the bone-in filet mignon. The pic looks like some good stuff.

I eat like no tomorrow for every meal, especially steak. I think I will give it a shot. I was debating over a5 wagyu, but I'm going to go with the tomahawk since I will be at the Encore.

10. Codewarrior47

Codewarrior47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bone in filet is a myth

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what you mean... cut a Porterhouse steak in half through the bone and you get a bone-in strip steak and a bone-in filet mignon.

12. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am trying to go to sleep and now you have me salivating!

13. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Again, the tomahawk is an awesome cut but it is huge and you can usually get it at any very good steakhouse. I usually share it with my wife or a friend. The A5 is a unique dining experience and cannot be ordered at just any steakhouse. Even most of the top steakhouses in the country do not have a5 on their menu.

Trust me, it is worth it and a must try at least once!

14. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love steak, but my education on meats is mediocre. After reading your post I thought I'd look up this cut and this Costco cut came up on Google:

http://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Ribeye-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

15. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The steakhouses did a good job on selling that one to you. A filet mignon is a boneless cut from the smaller end of the tenderloin. I know some butchers in the US labels the whole tenderloin as a fillet mignon instead of dividing it up into different parts (fillet mignon, tournedos etc) to drive the price up. But the part of the Porterhouse you are talking about is very different in tenderness and taste then a filet mignon. It has more flavour and not as tender because its from the large end of the tenderloin (other end of it from fillet mignon).

Regarding the myth thing i think Codewarrior47 was referring to a filet as a cut of boneless meat or fish, so therefore it can't really have a bone in it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  16. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW's menu shows a 30 oz. tomahawk steak at $105... downtown at The D's Andiamos Italian Steakhouse they list on their menu... "Andiamo Tomahawk... Long bone 32-ounce rib eye steak... charred to perfection $79... it got rave reviews on yelp and travel advisor.

17. Codewarrior47

Codewarrior47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1fil·let noun \ˈfi-lət, in sense 2b also fi-ˈlā, ˈfi-(ˌ)lā\
    : a piece or slice of boneless meat or fish

18. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup that's it and it's a great price! You are paying $8.53 per ounce while at prime steakhouse where I had it was $30 per ounce (had the ribeye) with a 4oz minimum.

19. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I saw the whole roast for sale at Costco I thought it would be great to get one for the grill.

Until, of course, I saw the $1500 price tag.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.