1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My impressions on my first month LIVING in LV!

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by theshaah, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So today marks the day that I've been "Living" in Las Vegas. I put living in quotes because being a flight attendant I spend a majority of my time away from home.

1 month ago today I was staying at the Silver 7's and decided I was going to look for a place close to the airport. The first place I stopped was right next door. It was called Cobblestone Creek and I loved it. Spacious 700 SQft 1 br 1 ba for 525. Other places were just as cheap and/or included utilities but they didn't have the ammenities. Like 24 hour pool/hottub/fitness center and 2 dry saunas. Not to mention I'm right across the street from the silver sevens and the Hard Rock.

Here are my top 3 impressions of living in LV so far.

#1. The Bus system is servicable.....but NOT the way you want to get around town if time is a factor. The busses are always late or stopping soon after they pick you up to "get back on time". I actually rented a car and drove in LV for the first time and it wasn't so bad. I purchased a little 49cc scooter to put put around town with for now. It was only 650 bucks. Not bad but very slow. Better than hoofing it tho.

#2. Living so close to the strip is nice...but I've worked so much that I haven't had the opportunity but once to head over that way. It's nice to know it's there tho.

#3. Meeting people is difficult where I live because it's mostly tourists. There are plenty of people in my neighborhood and while every one seems to smile and say hello none of them seem to take the time to stop to chat. I had a good chat with a younger guy close to my age and we seemed to be cool with one another. He took my # and said we'd hang out sometime and it's been 3 weeks and he hasn't called.

So there you have it. I'm doing just fine in LV for now. Nothing too terribly bad has happened to me yet. I'm making plenty of $$$ and LOVE LOVE LOVE working out of McCarran. Especially for the employee roach coach ;-)

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck! I'm glad you're enjoying it, just make sure you have a good lock on that scooter!:poke:

3. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Like your assessment of living in Vegas after a month. I wonder how it may change down the road? Do you know if McCarran will be your home base for any length of time?

I understand you're gone the bulk of your time, but do you think you would gamble more or less living out there? If memory serves me right, you never really were a "heavy gambler" (meaning 4 hrs a day) when you lived elsewhere, correct?

4. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like things aren't too bad and at least you have the sort of job that if you get super lonely you can fly and see frends and family :) Good luck!

5. VegasRandy

VegasRandy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard horror stories about the ladies who work in the office at that place.

6. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you're still enthusiastic about being based in Las Vegas. We spend two months here twice a year, and really appreciate the bus system. It's not perfect, and I can imagine it being frustrating for people on a schedule, but it fits well with our style of vacationing.

7. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you are doing well A!
    It will take time to make friends.

What is the "employee roach coach ;-)"

8. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas is dedicated to keeping your nose in a gambling machine. They don't make a lot of money providing a place to meet other people.

9. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update. I imagine it would be pretty interesting actually living there!

I am also curious as to what the "employee roach coach" is LOL.

10. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now you know how women feel!:wink2:
    Once you get out and about, you'll meet new people. Seems like I meet at least one local every trip.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time when you indicated where you were living, I noticed that apartment complex for the first time... it does look VERY nice, not sure why I never noticed it before? Glad things are still going well for you!

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    scooter is the way to go i got one also;

p.s for around 250$ they can supe up your scooter so its not slow pm if u want the details on where.

you should check out locals and industry nites there realy fun and free.

13. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how is the area around Cobblestone Creek? Do you ever worry when you are gone for days? I researched the area around hard rock and found that its not one of the better areas.

Do you like it and feel safe?

14. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update 4/12/14.

The Employee Roach Coach is a food van that is parked outside in the secured area of McCarran Airport. Right around Gate C23. You won't really see it unless you are looking for it. It's for employees only.

McCarran will be my base of operations at least until I get back into Orlando. Tho truth be told I'm seriously considering giving up my right of return and making Las Vegas my home bas indefinitely.

The area where I am at seems mostly safe. I did notice a homeless person sleeping in one of the breeze ways at 4am the other night when I was leaving to go on a trip. Other than that I haven't had any issues with anybody.

As for the ladies in the office. I have a great rapport with them. Especially the youngest one....she is DYING to become a flight attendant but hasn't yet turned 21 so I give her little tips and tricks to use when she does get interviews. There is one gal in there that I am DYING to ask out. She's SO gorgeous. Probably has someone anyways...most people here seem to.

My friend has been real good about coming by and having dinner with me at the S7's or at Tuscany. He has comps....and we use coupons and such. He's very much an advantage player like I am but where I will NOT gamble unless I have an advantage or a coupon. He will. Especially sports bets. I don't know a parlay from a quinella. So I don't really play the sports or horse races.

All in all I am very happy here and hope to find a place of my very own to call home soon. When I say my very own it means I'm looking to buy something. Wether it's a house or a condo somewhere.

Oh...and Ps...I have a multi-tiered level of security for my scoot. I have an disc brake alarm, a chain, a U lock, and a bike chain in addition to the steering lock. I got the 100CC upgrade on it too and it FLYS! I was going 60 on it this morning on tropicana.

15. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shah... Awesome post man. I have always been curious about living in vegas, it's good to see you enjoying it. How many days a month are you spending in vegas, with your schedule? I'm rooting for you to ask the hottie out.

16. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not going to say you should never not make a move but if you are still building a social base up there then double think about the pros and cons of someone you see everyday :)

17. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And....that didn't take long. Came back from Orlando the other night and my scooter was gone. I had 4 locks on it and someone stole it. Yet the one 10 spaces down with no lock on it wasn't touched. UNBELIEVABLE.

Oh well.....I can only hope that whoever stole it dies of gonnoreah and rots in hell.

18. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can almost bet that the person with the other scooter was involved somehow. I'm assuming your insurance will cover this?

I had my motorcycle stolen from right outside my apartment in Norfolk. It was sitting on the street. I would run to the window anytime I heard a motorcycle.

I haven't bought another motorcycle since then.

19. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly I didn't have insurance on it. So it's 1000 bucks down the drain. I had a harley davidson stolen in '08 that left me with 6K in debt on my credit report for 7 years. It's JUST about to drop off my report in July. Didn't have insurance on that bike at the time either. I hope they weren't involved. I just have to accept that it's gone and I'll never see it again. I am probably just going to have to take time off from work and drive me car with 100K miles on it from FL to NV.

20. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything that's light enough for 2 guys to lift into the back of a pickup is an easy target, you won't hear a sound. It has to be locked to something serious, even then, if they have the equipment they can still grab it.

The closest we've come to losing one of our bikes was many years ago at our first apartment together. It was on the center stand with a big U lock through the back wheel onto the frame. I can't remember which bike now but it was heavy and old. Could have been a 1982 Yahama Heritage Classic 400cc or a 1982 Honda CB750F. We changed bikes around the time we moved to our next apartment in 1995 so I'm fuzzy on that detail. Anyhow, they must have tried to grab it and it was too heavy or they got interrupted so they dropped it and left it there. We started parking overnight in the garage up the street after that. Oddly, we never had any issues at subsequent apartments we lived at. Now we have a garage.

I think if you buy a place with a garage you'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.