1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lotus of Siam

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by LindainWI, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindainWI

LindainWI Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What to have? Is the lunch buffet representative of their regular menu or is it a more traditional Chinese type buffet? Have you ever taken a cab to LOS?

2. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Linda,

It's been my experience at LOS to order from the menu. I figure if you are going for great Thai food, the buffet is not what you want. I am not saying the food is bad on the buffet, but you wouldn't get why the food is so darn good there! Besides, you can do a buffet anywhere.

As far as the cab, yes you can cab it there. I always drive, so I don't know the fare or from where you are coming from. Also, they would have to call a cab to pick you up as there are not cabs standing around.

I hope you go, LOS really has some great Thai food. I recommend to start with the crispy spicy wings. Delish!

3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are unfamiliar with Thai food the buffet would be a good way to sample several things. I agree that getting something off the menu would be preferable IF you know what you want/like.

4. coralrush

coralrush Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking of going for lunch too and debating buffet vs. menu. Anyone have any menu suggestions?

5. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This seems to be another Magiano's-type deal.

I went to the lunch buffet. I was sorely disappointed. What freaked me out is that there was a line 30 people deep out the door. The food was not old because I was literally the first person in line.

Now, given, I've never been to Thailand. However, I have eaten better Thai food on insular cities on the East Coast , like Pgh or Cleveland. I regularly eat better Thai food in Albuquerque. Choosing a random Thai restaurant in ABQ out of phone book would probably have provided a better meal. I've been to Archi's Thai in Vegas--far better. In fact, I've actually eaten far better Asian food on Navajo Reservation. I go to Vegas to get away from food like this.

Seriously, your money would be far better spent at Big Wong or even a more expensive, yet moderately priced, place like Cathay House.

Schwaiguy

6. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are going to do LOTUS do it right and don't fall in to the tourist trap and do the buffet. Take advantage of their unique menu and order some of their specialties that they are known for and not some pad thai that you can get anywhere.

If you are not sure what to order ask the waiter to recommend something and explain what you like and I'm sure it will be a success. I like so many dishes there and its a hard to pick one but the Kaho Soi is excellent and quail would be my preference.

7. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The owner's mother is from Northern Thaliand. You WANT the northern cuisine.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The buffet is heavily influenced by standard Chinese offerings and what could be considered GringoThai. As noted above, you are going to Lotus for the Issan or Northern/Northeastern Thai cuisine, which occupies it's own section of the menu.

9. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I validly question the ethics of a James Beard award-winning restaurant which serves a buffet of pigslop. I could've had a meal like that on the reservation and skipped the Vegas trip entirely.

schwaiguy

10. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    almost all the negative reviews of lotus of Siam are people having the buffet which is nothing remotely like the menu it is as ken said pretty much a typical chinese buffet. From the menu it really depends what you like there is a huge variety but the spicy seafood fried rice, spicy chicken wings, and a soup are a must every time I go. Anything off the chefs specialty area of the menu are excellent other then that the servers are very helpful find something that sounds good and try it. It is possible to order bad but there is some really phenomenal food offerings.

11. SandsFan

SandsFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hi Linda, I usually rent a car just so we can go to Lotus of Siam. Actually, we usually go twice during each trip so the car is more convenient. We have taken a taxi several times over the years and the staff always call us a taxi when we leave. Never had to wait long.

I probably had the buffet years ago when we started going to LOS but can't remember. We always order off the menu and have not had a dish we didn't like. We've taken at least a dozen different people there over the years and no one has ever been disappointed.

We normally start with Mee Krob (spelled a number of different ways) which is a dish we took a liking to in Singapore and Bangkok. Crispy noodles with a sweet orange sauce I think. Usually has shrimp and chicken in it. We have several other favorites that we order. One I learned about on this message board was drunken noodles with sea bass and a side of sticky rice. My wife orders it every time now.

As a warning, LOS will ask how spicy on a scale of one to ten but it depends on the thai chilis. We've ordered 8 so hot I could barely eat it which is saying a lot.. Now we usually order 7 or 8 and Prik Nam Pla (thai chilies in fish sauce) to spice it up more if we want.

We will be at LOS in a few days and hope to make at least 2 to 3 visits on this long trip.

The 3 P Trip (Paris and Palms)
  12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't go if you're used to bland food. It is HOT!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.