1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

CET Platinum status waiving resort fees?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Sam in Ut, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I signed up for the TR Visa, the lady I was working with stated another benefit by signing up and attaining Platinum status is the waiving of the resort fees for our 5 night stay at Caesars. She stated that alone will be a $140 savings then adding on the complimentary two all day Buffet passes which are worth another $100, that sold me on getting that Visa card.

I hear lots of talk here regarding the free Buffet passes, however I've never hear anyone talk about their resort fees waived by being Platinum status. Just wondering if that lady was blowing smoke just to sign me up.. Not going to LV till the end of May but it'll be nice to know one way or the other. Thanks!

2. Grumpy

Grumpy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes resort fee is waived, worked for us in January. As far as the 24 buffet, we forgot the coupon and did not take part but, just how much food can you eat? Yes I know the many stategies to make the most of this but come on you can only eat so much.

3. Woman2Blame

Woman2Blame Tourist

Yup, it's waived. That's one of the major reasons both my husband and I signed up for the credit card. He booked a room under his name at Caesars Palace, and I have one booked for us under my card at Flamingo. Both resort fees are waived.

4. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it based on if you are platinum at booking or platinum at check-in?

My platinum status expires March 2014, but I have 2 trips booked later in the year and will be arriving back at gold.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Platinum and above can opt out of the resort fees. Since the card gives you platinum status, you would fall under this.

The way that I understand it though is that you can opt out. This is different than the fee is waived. If you actually want to use the things that come in the resort fees, you still would need to pay for it.

6. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Now that is interesting, the wireless wifi is something I would like but paying an additional $28 per day for it would be kind of ridiculous. Thanks for the replies.

7. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes Sam it's true..I got my card in April/May of 2013 and used it for a Rio stay in September.My Plat card has an expiration date of March 2014 and am taking advantage of the status one more trip..The seperate Rio check-in room is awesome there and possibly early check-in is allowed w/o fees also,but not 100% on that.

Do charge the $750 to the card in the first 90 days of issue and grab the $100 in RC's...Pretty easy to do with airfare included..And I belive I got more than $100 as airfare is 2 x's RC's or something..The Card website used to show credits earned but not now.
    And one thing to know about the buffet pass,the clock starts at the Total Rewards desk so plan accordingly..Good Luck!

8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd bet your status upon check-in..but worth a shot to ask at the desk if it could be waived for first trip? Blame the website for being so non-specific for these type questions?

9. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Bummer there since you don't need the coupon, the folks at the TR desk can hook you up without it.

When we were there I had only had the card for a few weeks and my tier still showed Gold. When I went to the TR desk after checking in he verified that I was still Gold, I explained that I should be Platinum via the credit card deal he just asked to see the card. When I showed it to him he immediately issued me two Platinum cards and offered the buffet deal. No hassle at all.

As to the resort fee, as was stated above you can opt out at check-in with no problem. If you still want to use the wifi you can do so and pay only for the wifi, which was much cheaper for us at Flamingo than paying the entire resort fee.

10. VDMTom

VDMTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this is true, this is very important. I didn't know CET props you can opt out.

11. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe they mean you can opt out of having the resort fee waived, not that you can opt out of the resort fee altogether. The resort fee is mandatory if you are Gold status. If you are platinum or above, the fee is waived but you don't get the services. If you want the services, you can opt out of having the fee waived.

12. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to think it would be your status when you book. Kind of like when airlines introduce new fees, they are waived if you book before they are introduced but I would still call the hotel directly to confirm.

13. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My initial guess is that it will be based on your status when you checkin.

Now since you booked when you were platinum though, it might indicate on the reservation that you opted out or something like that. Basically you could get lucky and they honor that.

I would just be prepared to pay the fee. I'm sure if they tried to charge you, you could make it a huge issue about it if you prefer to go that route.

14. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, I hope that's not the case. That's a good suggestion to call the hotel directly but that too can be iffy depending on the knowledge of the clerk that answers the phone.

15. AndyGator

AndyGator Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just called Bally's and asked if I would be charged a resort fee with my 3rd party reservation. She said yes, that it is only waived for reservations tied to a Total Rewards account. I asked if at check in, if I could show my platinum status and avoid the resort fee, she said it would not work.

Anyone have experience with 3rd-party reservations and waiving the resort fee?

16. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

That's a negative. Platinum or not, the resort fees are added to the bill automatically unless you specifically request at the desk that they not be. This is firsthand experience from 4 weeks ago. I did not ask that the fees be waived at check-in so they were on the bill when I was ready to check out, since the only "service" I used was internet I asked that she please remove the resort fee and charge me only the internet fees. She did so with no hesitation.

17. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I meant was, you can't opt out of the resort fees unless you are platinum or higher. And if you are platinum or higher you can opt out of having them waived (or to put it another way, you can pay the resort fees) if you want the services.

18. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mckevin32, that is great she removed the resort fee, however how much did she charge you for the internet fees?

19. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Ohhhh, No one said there was gonna be a test, lol.

I want to say it was around $12 per day. Significantly less than the resort fee in any case.

20. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of the credit card, I thought that the Plat was only good for a year but I was at a CET prop in Az and asked for a new card and they said my status is good until March of 2015. So I take it I get it for another year at least

FlightSimExpo 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.