1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New guy at work

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Tree DA, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just need to vent I guess.

So I know this kinda weird hick guy that grew up on a farm but now he’s recently become part of our organization and I’m not so sure that he’s a great fit. Granted my interactions with him have been limited for a few hours here and there but everyone seems to think he’s a great guy except for me and I’m so confused.

For a “farm boy” that grew up pretty poor and seemingly without a lot of friends, he’s been kinda whiny every time he runs into a problem. And then he turns around and talks about shooting rats for fun (to me, an animal lover) and the way he talks about his sister is super creepy. I know he had a rough family life with his mom not being around and his abusive dad came in and out of the picture but I’m not sure how that excuses anything. Explains a lot maybe, excuses him being a weirdo, no.

Anyway, the reason I even bring this up is that we were in a pretty important meeting together and my supervisor lays out a plan that I raise a very relevant objection to. Then this jackass chimes in and talked about the one time something similar happened on his farm and why this will be no problem. I’m like wtf, first of all this isn’t the farm you idiot, second, you’re the new guy, stfu and third you just made me look like an idiot in front of everyone implying that I don’t know what I’m talking about. And everyone just goes on thinking he's doing a great job and adding value, and looking at me like I'm incompetent. Well can't wait for the project to fail and see who has the last laugh.

Anyway, just need to vent for a bit.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from Vegas. Wonder what I'll have to deal with tomorrow with this clown.

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I'm interested.
    Keep us posted.
    FYI,
    My job is exactly like the show "Survivor."
    It really is !:nworthy:

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like Chauncy Gardner in the film Being There. Don't underestimate a farmer though, I have had several farmers as customers, they are resourceful and thrifty, I won't say cheap. One customer grows crops on property that has been owned by the family for 125 years.

Joe Strummer , I worked for a company where the top officers were right out the story The Emperors New Clothes and the managers were playing Survivor. I thank God I was shoved out four years ago.

6. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a bettin' yer office is now the new chicken coop...or one of them newfangled indoor outhouses.

7. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone sounds WAY too sensitive. You should learn to let stuff roll off of you.

Doesn't sound like he made you look bad in the meeting. Sounds like a discussion was being had and you were both on opposite sides of the fence. He just happened to be on the side that your boss was on and you felt like it was 2 on 1 all of the sudden.

I don't think that would have had you upset if you didn't have a certain amount of disdain for this character.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing wrong with shooting rats, what do you want him to do, feed them?

9. MissKitty

MissKitty Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This whole talk about weirdo and stuff has cracked me up....thanks for the good laughs ....love it..

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Try being in a similar situation in a semi-rural area where I spent the last 20 years of my career where all of the natives are either related or went to high school together.

I finally just adapted and outwardly agreed with them while inwardly just kept doing my own thing. My loyalty is to the guy/gal who signed my time sheet. Eff 'em all.

It took a few years, but they finally accepted me and recognized that I knew what I was doing.

11. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I manage a lot of people and this is just a professional opinion...He was just offering his opinion it sounds like and also needs to be heard as the new boy. If you were sure it wouldn't work you should have fought your corner harder than you did. Wishing ill on the project for this is infantile and your sensitivity is probably why you find him hard to get on with.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds to me like the guy is the CEO's nephew or the kid of his old frat bro, and your days are numbered.

:evillaugh

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hillbillies gonna hillbilly

14. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should search my feelings on this clown. I really need to let go of the hate even though I can feel it swelling inside me.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  15. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly think you are angry with yourself and not him. I have been there myself.

There is no point hating him. We are all a business of one and your customers are your boss and his boss. Let everyone else do whatever they want, remember that most people are only out for themselves and learn to be more self-promoting.

16. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's up, Frank Grimes?

17. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

just don't eat the jerky he offers during your afternnoon break time.

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters!

19. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This guy is probably sitting at home telling his buddies about the inflexible stick in the mud guy he works with who posts his thoughts on an internet message board.

20. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm going to have to get more forceful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.