1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ticket seller talks of in-demand acts

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by seneca7, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seneca7

seneca7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By DOUG ELFMAN
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Last year’s most in-demand Vegas concert tickets were for Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, the Eagles and Adele, says Ken Solky, owner of LasVegasTickets.com and 1-800-Las-Vegas.

Solky is an institution unto himself, having sold tickets for 30 years. Here’s how he sees the Vegas ticket horizon.

WHO ELSE CAUSED BIG DEMAND?

“We joke that the Eagles could be the MGM house band, because they come back two or three times a year, and they sell the place out,” he says.

Also: Cher. And Bruno Mars’ demand is “stellar.”

WHO WOULD BE IDEAL NEW RESIDENT HEADLINERS?

“Adele and Lady Gaga would be incredible. People would want to see that,” Solky says.

“That Adele show at the Cosmo was off the hook,” he says. “She came in and played the Cosmo with 4,000 seats or whatever, and the demand was five times that. Before you know it, she could fill any building she wants.”

Katy Perry is a “superstar.” And Vegas would kill for pie-in-the-sky tour stops from rock legends.

“Everybody would like to see the main members of Led Zeppelin go out on tour. Everybody would like to see Pink Floyd with Roger Waters,” he says.

REST OF THE ARTICLE:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/doug-elfman/ticket-seller-talks-demand-acts

2. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of big concert tours last year. Almost every arena show I went to was sold out, Vegas or here in LA. Crazy!

I worry they will get caught up in the headliner craze... offer up crazy money to some of the hot acts these days, and not get a good return. I hope they bring in more small residencies. Maybe do several shows during the summer or something. But not huge Britney deals.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think the pool party/beach concerts are good moneymakers for smaller acts? Those have seemed to be somewhat common in Vegas the past few years....Though I guess the pool parties seem to be more DJ oriented these days? Damn I'm old:rolleyes2:

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We need an expert to tell us that Lady gaga, cher or the Eagles would sell out?

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the interisting thing about his article he's talking more in view of the secondary market where he makes his living from.

as ive said be for britney is a stiff on the secondary and basicly on the direct market.

what hes hoping for somebody too big to play a small theater to create demand so he can make a profite.

personaly i think gaga would be great and she needs it but wont do it. she has 2 albums that floped and tour problems but theres alot more involved.i think a radio city nyc run would be better for here.

katy perry would never sell shes a novelty act.

they could do a katy ,rihanna ,pink resendency rotation might work .i think they would target the same demo so one each nite.

my gut says christina is next and becuase shes mamaged by irving and its a livenation venue a deal should be real interesting besides a conflict of interest. christinas last tour bomb they canceled it after tickets went on sale :thumbsup:

also a maroon 5 or adam levine thing could work

i think the bruno mars cosmo resedencey gives the cosmo much more creditbility but not much press.

you have to rember vegas on week days shows are light on sales and make it up on weekends.

6. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our local radio station, they said Planet Hollywood is in the works talking with Katy perry to perform while Brittnay is dark/off. Basically a rotation schedule.

7. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Why would Adele do a residency right now? She's at the top of her game and can sell out any venue in the world in no time.

I think paperposter has a point about this guy talking his own book, especially after reading this part:

LOL so he knows enough to say that people who buy from LasVegasTickets.com aren't big fans of lip-syncing? That's what they come and tell him? Really? Sounds like some sour grapes about not being able to broker tickets for it.

8. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the only thing i would add is addele being a new mom resedency would be great for her but just not in our country .i assume the uk.

alot of women ( new moms)in the bussines perfer not to do one nighters but yes addle could sell out what ever she wanted.

thats how the celine resecendecy started

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, Adele maybe could... but certainly not anything like Britney's. But yea I mean Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, they want and need to tour, and they are still relevant. They aren't at the point in their careers that they can demand their fans come to Vegas. Britney is to the point, after 9 albums, and hundreds of millions of albums sold that she can do this. She's essentially a legend even though she's only 32.

This article is pretty random though. I went to 17 major arena style concerts last year, nearly all of them sell outs, they can't all have a residency in Vegas lol. (Except Boyz II Men haha...)

10. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i hope your joking about britney being a legend, shes a joke.

here last tour bombed. they used groupon to sell tickets. her openning act was biiger than she was and thats scary to say as it was niki manji who has no talant.

do you really think britney would take a 15 million year pay day if she could do a real tour. the answer is no. her no album bombed ,then again nobody is buying albums.

if britney is making the whole 15 million minus fees to agents and mgr not a bad deal she will clear around 10 million before taxes . if she has to pay for her dancers ,staging ,band and other stuff wich is the norm shes making nothing .i assume its the other.

britney is a joke compare to adels talent. one has it one has non.

gaga doesnt have to tour she wants too.

katy perry makes her money on the road and still can sell 14,000 tickets a nite.

i can name tons of acts more talented that would be better than brit in a long term deal.

christina who can actualy sing will blow brit away.

the bussiness has changed artist dont make money by selling albums they make from touring and merch.

mileys tour is a stiff.

11. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does everyone think about katy perry performing at ph as a possiblility? Again, rumor has it is that she might sign a contract to perform during brittneys off days. Apparently, she was there for brittneys concert opening night and loved the venue.

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the reason she was there for britneys show is because they have the same mgr it was a favor to him and cet where she was doing a private event.

its likely as same team who negoiated brits contract would be doing hers so it can be done real quick.
    right now katy is a bigger act but shes a singles pop act ,a novelty but i think she will do go on weekend soft on weekdays.shes very hot right now but if she cant keep producing hit singles it will change real quickly.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.