1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Auto gratuity

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by lasvegas_limo_driver, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many years now clubs and restaurants's have charged an auto tip. People have disputed it, but yet we still pay it. January 1st a new auto tip law is going in to rule and i wonder how it will actually work in clubs. since mid 2000's i have always put a spot that has 10%,15%,20%,25% and other amount $. Wonder if clubs will use soemthing similar.

http://vegasseven.com/2013/12/20/death-auto-gratuity/

2. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    maybe some of them will actually care about the service they give.

i always tip but i noticed if your not tipping or have an extra dollar or 2 at a club when waiting at a the bar you can be skipped over quite a few times.

some resturants do it becuase tourist from overseas arent used to tipping.

i know as ive traveled around the world trying to figure out where and what to do was tricky

my pet peve is getting a 20 or 22 percent tip added on a glass of wine at a regular bar.

ill give a dollar a drink but 4.50 on to of that just to sit a bar get ridiculous after a while.

just add it in and we wont care.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  3. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i really dislike the autotip. I have done buy1get1 for clients and they have charged card for 2 bottles and tip and tell us it will take 3-5 days for new charge.
    also dislike when my bottle is empty and i dont see my server for 30 minutes.

i see both sides of this, i dont want to be forced to pay a gratuity, but i know some people are cheap and will tip $20 for 5 bottles.

4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i hear you its a know win situation.

thats why i think just padding it works better .

or like cannes there are no tips and there service is amazing. .you go the bar the swipe your credit card for each drink then you leave and those bartenders hustle

i was at a nyc resturant and also hotel bar two differnt place both had auto gratuity.

my 20 $ glass of wine was over 25$ with tax And tip guess what i didnt order a second glass i felt so ripped off.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like the auto tip. Although not good related but when I got a massage at a spa in Vegas they auto charged a percentage which I was not made aware of until I paid and left money in the envelop that was left for a tip

6. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is fantastic!

7. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No autotip. F that!

I tip what I want, typically 20%.

I like tipping my server/host directly in str8 cash homie.

8. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate auto tip. I am the type of customer that wants to be left alone, i do not need much other than my drink and food. Once in a while i will need a refill, but not often and it is rare that i flag someone down. Most of the time the service i get is not warranted with the percentage of auto tip but i always tip something, unless real crappy service.

I also waitress on a casual basis and am fairly good with service and the amount who do not tip at a diner is crazy. The reason i do not believe in percents is because it doesn't matter where you go the work is the same. The server at the diner does no less work than the ones at fancy places. The one i am at i have to take all 18 tables if need be, we don't get only 5-6 tables, we work our butts off and i would say only 50% tip, and some tip very well, they all get the same service from me. I am not friendly for tips, that is just my nature.

Point being, i do know what it is like, i have also worked in a busy bar many moons ago where i was the only waitress, with one bartender, if we were lucky she would have 2 waitresses on.

I also used to work at subway (no job beneath me) and i tell ya, we worked extremely hard there, we had to do almost all the prep work, other than pickles, lettuce and hot peppers it does not come that way, but people would never think to tip them and they do more work than your average bar waitress.

9. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience, the gorgeous female cocktail servers at some of the large Vegas clubs provide some of the worst service when the know ahead of time that they are guaranteed an automatic 20% tip.

Every club and every server is different, but I can recall at least 3 occasions when we had expensive table service, our server poured everyone at the table their first drink, and then we saw her maybe once an hour the rest of the night. When you drop 3K for a table and the auto-tip is $600, you would like to receive better service than that IMHO.

The bar-back/server assistant that fills the ice and mixers and provides extra glasses etc. is the person that works the hardest. I typically try to tip them $40 or so directly (even though I know they get tipped out by the server), as they are the ones doing all the work.

10. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sweetcanadian, did you get paid at Subway more per hour than you did as a waitress? Do you have to report tips as a Subway employee?

I waited tables for several years while I was in college. We got paid anywhere between $2.13 and $3.00/hr plus tips. This was over 15 years ago. I do know, though, that we are supposed to report a certain percentage of our sales as tips to the IRS. At the end of my server days, when we cashed out all our checks in the register, we were supposed to enter in a certain amount and credit card tips are automatically reported.

I understand the part that someone who sells $100 in food in a shift or $1000 in a shift may work just as hard as the other. But the $100 in sales is required to report, for example $10 and the $1000 in sales would have to report $100 (if the required percentage of sales to report as tips was 10%). Maybe it isn't like it was 15 years ago.

11. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the funnyn thing is they dont hire watress for being good they hire them for looking hot.

when you apply for the job you must submit your head shot and i belive apear in a swim suit

12. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In canada you get paid the same minimum wage don't matter the job, i got paid the same at both. Also unless you are at a fancy place most do not have a pos system that keeps track of tips. You are supposed to report them but most do not. The higher end places usually pay the servers a bit more, but either way it is totally different up here.

13. Kickin

Kickin Flea

It feels weird to side with the IRS but if it is the case that they are getting a tax benefit by calling it auto-gratuity instead of a service charge, even though its the same thing, then I think the IRS is making a fair argument.

I have a bad habit of just adding a considerable amount more to the tip when there is an automatic gratuity added, regardless of the service. It just mentally goes into my head as part of the bill and I add gratuity on top of it.

But I think the cocktail waitress they quoted in the article inadvertently confirms the argument that auto-gratuity leads to service quality being disjointed from service cost:

14. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not agree with auto tipping. Tipping should be a personal choice, and based on the service provided. I know some people are more liberal and some more conservative when it comes to tipping, but it should even itself out over the long run.
    Here in Europe, most people dont tip at bars or clubs, but most do at restaurants, some establishments add an auto tip for parties of 6 or more patrons.
    I think it is almost obscene to add an auto 20% to overpriced bottle service or to high end fine wines, it gets to a point where the tip is completely disconnected with the service provided (which is actually what you are tipping for in the 1st place!!)

15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. Although after reading the article i'm not sure how much will actually change? Only that they're evaluating how to proceed?

I don't like the auto tip. BUT........I'm pretty much a straight 20% tipper across the board and the auto tip has never been higher then that in my experience. So i mostly figured it was a wash. I rarely go out in groups large enough to qualify for the auto tip so it's not something i've dealt with frequently.

I'm guessing this will mostly affect the high end clubs who charge $500 for a bottle of Grey Goose. I doubt most people would tip anything close to 20% unless they were forced.

Anyone work in the food sector and want to say what an average tip for them is? Is 20% standard for MOST tables? or is it less in practice?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.