1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest drink tickets question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bel, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bel

Bel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys been a while since Ive posted here but I just planned a trip to NOLA and Vegas next year and have a question about the southwest drink coupons. I fly southwest almost exclusively (in my limited flying experience) cause I love the 2 free checked bags.. Anyway my question :

Ive seen on eBay that you can buy drink tickets to use to buy drinks, I really dont have an issue paying for the drinks but I figure if I can buy a decent amount(10-12 for 4 people and a 4 hour flight) and share them with people im traveling with it would be nice. They all have the ebay sellers names on them, are there any issues with using these bought off ebay when my name isn't on the actual coupon? I know they probably dont check ID name to match the tickets but using 4 at once for 4 people would that be an issue?

Thanks again, getting so excited for my trips, searching for the answer mostly gives me articles that dont help at all!!!

2. Bring Up The Lid

Bring Up The Lid Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've bought SWA drink tickets on Ebay multiple times and used them without any issues.

3. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not just bring your own drinks on the plane? I don't know what those tickets cost but I imagine it's not cheaper than just bringing your own.

4. Bel

Bel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It just seems too stressful to deal with the whole situation of whether its "allowed" and it coming down to something causing problems before the trip even starts. I know legally you can take them on board and I have no problem with that but the issue would be 4 people serving themselves. Seems very hot and cold and not worth it for (at the max) $5 per drink on a vacation. If I could grab 12 coupons for even half price it would be much better than the 4 of us all just ordering soda and attempting to hide the fact that we are drinking when the rules seem to vary person to person

5. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought 8 off eBay before my Vet Day trip and there were no problems.

I used 4 and still have 4 (expire in June). They make their drinks stronggggg.

6. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Explain how.

The tickets on eBay usually are a bit above half the cost of a drink. Drinks are $5.

I paid $25 for 8 tickets which is like $3.15 (guessing) a ticket. Not bad for so strong drink on a long flight. Between watching my Redskins play, having 2 great seat mates, and those strong drinks, I had a very enjoyable flight.

Me and the missus intended on using all those tickets on the way up but the strength of those drinks made that impossible.

7. Bel

Bel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://imatravelninja.com/2012/05/16/take-alcohol-to-drink-on-your-flight/

According to the article you are looking at around 2.50 per "nip" which is literally 65cents less than what you paid for the tickets. But reading the comments there and elsewhere it seems that the consensus is its still "illegal" to serve yourself because there is no way to tell how much someone has been drinking. That being said do I think I would get arrested doing it? No but why deal with the hassle for such a small amount?

8. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.

I never have brought liquid onboard and foolishly thought I could only bring 3.4 oz. I see that you can bring enough 3.4oz bottles that fit in the 1q bag.

Cool.

I have a number of sampler bottles already and buy liquor cheap here.

I like Captain Morgan Black and 100 Proof and I get a half gal for about $20.

This is great news. However.... (TSA Site)

[​IMG]

Is this still just keeping with regular rule or is it saying alki isn't permitted at all. It sounds like they are equating alki with any other liquid.

Ok nvm, as long as alki adheres to the 3-1-1 rule, it's all good.

I can add free chaser from the airline for color. Niiiice

Thanks again. I was a bit ignorant of the rules and didn't think outside the box. I don't think I overpaid much but yeah, I'd like to bring my own stuff.

9. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I guess that isn't to bad then, especially if you're on a long flight. I only fly on Allegaint, flight is less than 2 hours, they only serve you once and a mixed drink is $7 (I think).

I say screw all that. I can get those mini bottles for like $1 each, and bring 5-8 with me. After going through security make a couple mixed drinks in a 20oz bottle and bring it onboard. No one will have a clue your drinking alcohol and unless you're being an obnoxious dick no ones gonna give a shit either.

10. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's legally allowed on the plane. Serving yourself has been debated as violating FAA/TSA/airline policy though. Some people have said they have had success giving the alcohol to the flight attendant and having them serve it and being ok, others have been told that is not allowed either.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured it's easy to sneak. It's so easy to pull out a small container and it in.

I saw that United has that alki brought onboard can't be consumed on the plane.

Dicks.

Either way, I plan on hitting Vegas for my birthday next year and a cruise in Feb so I'll be bringing my own alki.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most (maybe all?) airlines have rules against bringing/drinking your own booze onboard. Sure, some still do it. Remember, the Flight Crew has more power than anybody. Pretty much anything they want to do or say rules in the air.

And, you also have to deal with the TSA getting it through security.

13. RWDPeanut

RWDPeanut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I buy SWA drink tickets on eBay, I try to ensure they say "Southwest Credit Card Holder" and that way I don't have to worry about a name!

But as others have said, they don't check and they don't care what the name says.

14. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just put your bottles of booze in a 1 quart bag, then you put the bag in the tub along with everything in your pockets. TSA doesn't give a shit, in fact last time I had a bigger hassle with the toothpaste in my bag than I did with the 5 bottles of Fireball.

15. Bel

Bel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I will most likely "make" a drink in the airport prior to boarding the plane. Also I was able to get 8 drink coupons for $24 so a little over half off. Thanks for the replies guys I knew this was the correct site to ask this question.

16. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about the expiry date?

Good info about the SW drink coupons....but can we use them after the expiration date?

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No you can't

18. lucky069

lucky069 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    glad I read this. I have been bidding on tickets for united. I like the idea of making a drink and bringing it on plane. thanks.

19. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically bring 4 miniature bottles of Crown Royal in a 1 quart size ziplock bag on the plane with me nearly every trip. I've been doing this for years and there is no rule against it at all. I simply order a can of coke with a full glass of ice when the flight attendant comes by. I dont flaunt it, I just mix my drink when the flight attendants are not watching. SWA doesnt offer Crown so that's why I started doing it.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huddler, I think you are mistaken. The airlines or the FAA have rules against bringing on your own. The TSA could care less as long as it is in the 1 qt baggie.

That being said, my wife does the same as you. Two minis there and two back for the 4 hr flights.:beer: She is discrete and never had a problem.

I like wine on the flight, so I'm stuck using drink coupons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.