1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

All I want for Christmas is a big old liquor basket!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Funkhouser, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mrs. Funkhouser has been hinting around on Christmas gifts I would like to see under the tree. I have the habit of indulging myself with electronics through out the year as well as new golf club as needed.

Anyway I am pretty much stumped as too what I would want for Christmas, that would not end me up in divorce court. So as a lark, I suggested to MF a big old liquor basket would make a great gift.

So now on to the question for VMB members, if you were to receive a basketful of booze for xmas, what would you like to see in it. Just to keep it in reason, the price limit is at $500, so your suggestions should come in at or near this total.

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't be much help here, given that I pretty much only drink vodka (although I did buy a pretty excellent bottle of Glenmorangie 18 for a friend's wedding recently), but I want you to know that the phrase "big old liquor basket" is really amusing me right now.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, not knowing your tastes is tough, but stuff I know I'd want in my BOLB includes:

Crater Lake Vodka
    A good rye
    Terminal Gravity IPA
    Firestone Pivo Pils
    Green Flash Hop Head Red
    Melville Donna's Syrah
    Evening Lands Pinot (Eola-Amity Hills)
    Jalama Mourvedre
    ampelos Grenache
    Burgundian white -- Meursault
    Rhone blends from Vacqueyras or Gigondas (2010, gonna be a stellar one)
    Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs

4. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bottle of Macallans is a must. If you go with a 12 it'll only be around $70.

5. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good single malt never made anyone cry!!

6. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, "a big old liquor basket"........You are describing my ex. Would you pay the shipping cost?
    Good luck.:beer::beer:

7. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please send one my way with lots of Vodka, a bottle of Chambord & Hot Damn for shots. :beer:

Sema Show
  8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess since you are over 21, you know what you like to imbibe. So this basket would help fill out your liquor closet when you entertain?

9. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My basket would include a bottle of Don Julio 1942 Anejo or if I was was feeling really extravagant a bottle of Herradura Selecction Suprema Anejo. I love a good glass of tequila.

10. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love cognac and scotch. So a bottle of remy xo and would love to try the new Johnny walker platinum label (just bought my friend a bottle for his bday).

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, booze is one of the most thoughtful gifts i could get.

Only the people who pay attention to who I am and what i am about would give me booze and there are a sad few of them out there.

I hope you get a big basket of hooch and live it up!!

12. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also the jw gold reserve is about to be available in the states. I have a bottle from out of the country but haven't opened it yet. Jw double black also comes back this time of year which is good.

13. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to try new hooch on occasion. Not like in my twenties. Per Beeejay's rambling I tried Ciroc vodka and its my new favorite.

I do like to have a well stocked bar when company is over.

14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a high end Rye, I would try Whistle Pig, the 111 proof if available. It is 100% Rye, distilled in Canada, but bottled in Vermont. Some of the Ryes in the US can have up to 49% corn. For a high end mixer, Crown Royal should be in your cabinet. As for Gin, I really like Plymouth, it makes a great martini. Or, a good domestic is Bluecoat made in Philly. Sounds like you have the Vodka squared away with Ciroc; never tried it, but I'm not a fan of P Diddy, so I don't care to line his pockets. I like the Polish Vodkas like Belvedere. As for Rum, how about Mt. Gay or Appleton Estate.

15. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drink very limited due to what my stomach can handle these days. In my younger days i would drink the cheapest crap out there but now i prefer Gibson's Silver though when i go to the states i get gibbys gold because that is usually what they have at duty free for 12$ vs the 40$ is costs up here. I like crown royal as well but i find gibbys to be smoother. I also drink one kind of cooler and my husband knows what to get :) (we have way better stuff up here than you guys do in the states when it comes to coolers).

My mom got my husband a bottle of crown because that is what he was drinking when she was here.

It really depends on your tastes, i would imagine your wife would know what you like.

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Things I'm missing in my bar still; cointreau, port, sherry, brandy, other Malibu flavours, tequila, liqueurs for cocktails like chocolate, mint, pineapple etc.

17. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "OK, 'a big old liquor basket'........You are describing my ex. Would you pay the shipping cost? Good luck."

Classic!

I always ask for food or drink if anyone inquires, because at my age, I have just about all the stuff I could ever use. So a 5-bottle international liquor basket, at roughly a hundred per bottle, would make a stellar gift, and would probably last me the whole year.

1. FRANCE: I've never tried a really great Cognac or Armagnac- wouldn't know what to ask for.

2. SCOTLAND: I've also never tried a high end single malt- please, no Islay- something not too peaty.

3. MEXICO: Gotta have a top drawer AƱejo. Surprise me.

4. CARIBBEAN: Lately, I've developed a taste for amber rum. Something similar to Plantation 20th Anniv.

5. And from the good ol' USA, a great single-batch Bourbon. Smoother rather than rougher.

Five countries, five bottles, five wonderful surprises, 52 weeks of pleasure. Somebody organize it, please!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  18. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has no clue when it comes to booze, she only knows what she likes. As I get older I drink less, but prefer the good stuff. Right now I am trying to broaden my tastes.

I only like sweet wines, so I gave up on that.

19. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess i shouldn't have made the generalization then. The only time i am stumped is if i want to get him something new that he has never tried before and has to try it to see if he likes it.

I am one of the only people i know who can not stand wine, i think it is grosser than beer lol.

20. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting recommendation. I have traditionally stuck to Bourbon whisky being close to the bourbon belt. I have had Rye on occasion, but always preferred the sweeter bourbon whisky, since the rye ones I tried were pretty dry. CR is not one of my favorites, but I do keep a bottle of Crown Royal Cask No. 16.

Appleton Estate sounds like something I might try. I am not loyal to rum.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.