1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dining for a large group

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by grosx2, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother will soon be in Vegas with a large group for a friend's birthday. Since I frequently spout nuggets of wisdom gleaned from these pages, he decided to enlist VMB's help, using me as a liaison:

"Hey bro, we have a group of approx. 24 for dinner on Vince's bday weekend in Vegas on the Friday night. Mon ami Gabi has a $2000 food minimum for their private room, so that's out and we don't want to just get 4 six-tops....any one talk on your message board on group dining?? Looking for something where we can get a room or a spot but then just order from the menu. Let me know thoughts....main stream food....i.e. continental....but also not way $$$$$$. Thanks, thought you could throw it out there."

Any suggestions? They'll be staying at Flamingo, so preferably somewhere in the mid-strip area, since coordinating transportation for two dozen people would be a hassle.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just my opinion but I feel buffets work great for large groups. Takes the hassle out of placing 24 orders and then having the food come out at different times.

3. kesto692000

kesto692000 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maggiano's (Fashion Show Mall) have private rooms that are ideal for your party size and the food is fantastic.
    I have only used it for Family style dining, but they are incredibly helpful and I'm sure they could also accommodate individual menu's.

4. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carmine's also has family style eating in forum shops, with that size crowd you can order a lot of variety and everyone can have a share of everything. The food is out of this world and the drinks are strong.

5. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    O dear, i tried that place once and the food was anything but fantastic. Dont even know how they can call it italian food. The portions was big but the quality was very low.

To OP this will be a lot easier to answer if we know your budget and what type of food you had in mind.

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

We've done a few big group dinners in private rooms and they are pushing it if $2000 for 24 people is too much. For instance we've done the private rooms at both Pearl at MGM and Shanghai Lilly at MB (now closed) and they were pretty good deals but still over $100 pp including the alcohol packages.

All of the places I've been to or looked at for group dining only offered prix fixe menus for private rooms but you could add things on as well. Plus an option liquor package per person or you could buy drinks individually. If you look at Pearl's for instance, which isn't an overly expensive restaurant, the lowest price dinner menu starts at $55 per person and lowest price drinks package starts at $27.

Nicky's suggestion about Carmines is a good one. I've been to Carmines here a lot, not in Vegas, but the whole idea of the place is group dining. Their website states they have a lot of private rooms at that location and the food is good and place is nice, casual, fun, and not expensive. I would call them up for details and strongly consider it for a large group that wanted to keep it moderately priced.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I'm thinking as well - it's going to be difficult to find a restaurant that will give you a private room AND let everyone order individually off the menu. A buffet might be ideal if that's what they truly want (some buffets do have private rooms off the main dining areas)

8. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

$2000 too much for 24 people? Some groups could hit that easily with just drinks.

9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a reason a restaurant won't let a table of 24 just order off the menu. The service is a complete train wreck with larger groups (even 10-12) if there isn't a preset menu. For such a large group the Carmine's/Maggianos route is not a bad idea at all if you need to keep costs down. The food is nothing special but will satisfy a wide range of people and the overall experience is festive.

10. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother's reply:

I read the board...thanks, I appreciate the input...its not my deal thank goodness, I was just trying to help out some struggling party planners...., the responses mostly mentioned that 2K was NOT out of line for 24 people. I agree, but that was a FOOD ONLY minimum, no booze....$83.00 per person was a bit high for some of the group and the offering there (Mon ami Gabi) was for food that would cost way less ($45-$50) if we ordered it straight up from the menu...so $35.00 per head for a table/room seemed a bit high as a cover to sit down in effect.

Agree on the cluster that is created by a large group ordering off a menu, the kitchen gets slammed and invariably some people are not happy. They were fine with a set menu, however some of the places offered THREE choices at each price point...i.e. $40-$60-$80 a head, with no liquor. That would create a new set of problems, (some were all 3 beef choices for example).

The group settled on the Ile de St. Louis Café at Paris, which has consistently good food and service for the 12 years I have been dining there. They gave us three 8 tops, and we are hoping to get in the same room/area at least. Its a 1.5 hour dinner on a five day weekend, more concerned with hitting it big at the tables!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.